Sponsored

‘22 JLUR order - get the automatic 4x4 transfer case or no…

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Wife wants to order a Rubi. She’ll rarely (never) off road it. I know I know but it is what it is lol. She’s had AWD for years, never had to use a conventional 4wd before. I am wondering if that automatic 4wd transfer case option may be better or not in this case. Does it change the gearing or how it drives? Anyone have any thoughts on if this is a good or maybe a bad choice? We live in the Northeast and see our fair share of snow.
Tried doing a search here with not much luck.
Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you live in the northeast where you’ll see some of the best benefit I’d go ahead and get it, especially if the wife doesn’t want to mess with having to shift it into 4H.

OP
OP
slowpoke387

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you live in the northeast where you’ll see some of the best benefit I’d go ahead and get it, especially if the wife doesn’t want to mess with having to shift it into 4H.
I was thinking that too, just wasnt sure if it is somehow geared lower or changed the driving experience in some way. Thx for the reply.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If I lived where there’s chance for snow/ice and would be using the Jeep as a winter beater. I would get the option.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Wife wants to order a Rubi. She’ll rarely (never) off road it.
She’s had AWD for years, never had to use a conventional 4wd before.
I am wondering if that automatic 4wd transfer case option may be better or not in this case.

Anyone have any thoughts on if this is a good or maybe a bad choice?
You tell us, mate. Is she capable of perceiving when 4WD is required, and operating the transfer case lever via a single movement?

If increased traction is called for, it's likely going to be for longer than 5 minutes.

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘22 JLUR order - get the automatic 4x4 transfer case or no… February

Sponsored

OP
OP
slowpoke387

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You tell us, mate. Is she capable of perceiving when 4WD is required
I’m going to say no lol. Hence the post. In all seriousness she may or may not recognize conditions as slippery or dangerous as they may be because of her past experience with AWD. She didnt need to be as vigilant as bad as that sounds. To be fair this is my concern for her, not her vocalized concern. I may just be overthinking it but I do know her lol. Honestly it’s a no brainer as long as there isnt some sort of sacrifice aside from financially. That was more what the post was about.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I’m going to say no lol. Hence the post. In all seriousness she may or may not recognize conditions as slippery or dangerous as they may be because of her past experience with AWD. She didnt need to be as vigilant as bad as that sounds. To be fair this is my concern for her, not her vocalized concern. I may just be overthinking it but I do know her lol.
Understood. I asked only half in jest, because my Missus would reject manual transfer cases out of hand. She too has experience only with automatic 4WD, and now, with her current vehicle, AWD. I've tried to at least get her to understand the ease with which the transfer case can be operated, but No Sale. 😐

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure the gearing is the same between the part-time and full-time Rubicon transfer cases. It comes down to the type of driver she is. Does she want full control, or would she rather set it and forget it?

I'm also in the northeast and prefer the part-time t-case, but again, it comes down to the type of driver. Tires are the most important part of snow traction. My experiences in both wet and dry snow from a few inches to nearly 2 feet, I only need 4h to help pull the front end around turns on unplowed roads or breaking through the wind row left by a plow truck that has only cleared the road I'm turning off of. As soon as I come out of the turn, I shift back to 2h. My JLUR is lifted 4" over stock height and on 40x13.5 Milestar Patagonias.

I'd say the 4h auto and a good set of tires for our rain and snow environment would be the best combo for your little mrs.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
The best t-case for her would be the one that has the 4wd auto along with the rear LSD like on the Saharas, which the Rubicon doesn’t have. But the 4wd auto of the Rubi is definitely better than none for what you say her use will be.

OP
OP
slowpoke387

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure the gearing is the same between the part-time and full-time Rubicon transfer cases. It comes down to the type of driver she is. Does she want full control, or would she rather set it and forget it?

I'm also in the northeast and prefer the part-time t-case, but again, it comes down to the type of driver. Tires are the most important part of snow traction. My experiences in both wet and dry snow from a few inches to nearly 2 feet, I only need 4h to help pull the front end around turns on unplowed roads or breaking through the wind row left by a plow truck that has only cleared the road I'm turning off of. As soon as I come out of the turn, I shift back to 2h. My JLUR is lifted 4" over stock height and on 40x13.5 Milestar Patagonias.

I'd say the 4h auto and a good set of tires for our rain and snow environment would be the best combo for your little mrs.
Im like you, prefer the control. I think she’s the ’set it and forget it’ type though. I think she’s like Heim’s mrs. lol.
I guess if there are no downsides that people are noticing I will order the Auto 4WD for her.

Sponsored

OP
OP
slowpoke387

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The best t-case for her would be the one that has the 4wd auto along with the rear LSD like on the Saharas, which the Rubicon doesn’t have. But the 4wd auto of the Rubi is definitely better than none for what you say her use will be.
Good point. Although talking her out of a Rubicon is an uphill battle even if I emphisize how we’re paying for off-road capabilities that she will probably never use. Kills me because the Sahara would be perfect for her. Hey at least resale will be strong lol.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
In your situation absolutely get 4WD Auto, it's a no-brainer. It's not as good as AWD in snow but it's close. Since your wife is unwilling to manually switch between 2WD and 4WD or learn when (my wife is in the same boat) you need that 4WD Auto to do it for her. It will make your life easier as well. Being in 2WD or 4WD at the wrong time can lead to a loss of control and sliding off the road.

So you know, the way 4WD Auto works is that it is 2WD unless rear tire slip is detected and 4WD is immediately engaged. It returns to 2WD once rear traction is regained. So you just leave it in 4WD Auto all winter. There is a very minor hit to MPG but it's worth it to always be in 2WD/4WD as appropriate.

BTW, I'm in an area that gets 400+ inches of snow per year. Not a typo. I have the 4WD Auto option.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Good point. Although talking her out of a Rubicon is an uphill battle even if I emphisize how we’re paying for off-road capabilities that she will probably never use. Kills me because the Sahara would be perfect for her. Hey at least resale will be strong lol.
Resale will be strong no matter which one she gets. Maybe ask her wjat it is she really likes about the Rubicon and consider adding it to a 4wd auto Sahara. That way you get the best of both worlds.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Not just "paying for off-road capabilities" but more stuff to break when the warranty expires.