Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I was also considering AFE’s intake...but have read a few things about it throwing a check engine light.
I've read that as well regarding the intake. Take a look at AFE's drop in Pro 5R filter. Better flow, no codes.

-Steven

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara, 2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Cross bars and fishing rod rack arrived today but couldn’t install because the feet for the cross bars don’t arrive until Monday. Still waiting on KC lights and dead pedal...seem to be quite delayed for some reason.
In other news, I’ve also decided to freshen up my garage. I’ve got a bunch of open shelving right now that I’m going to replace with welded steel cabinetry and giving myself a work surface as well. Considering the epoxy floor too. I can still file this under “covid project.”

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed my cross bars today and got my rod tube put together. Hope to get it mounted tomorrow. Progress every day!

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rod storage installed. Since it’s so narrow I’m considering a narrow cargo box for the other side of the cross bars. Downside to all this...clearance is now about an inch too much to fit into my garage. Figures!!

37B0D114-12FF-4D01-94C5-CBD9F887333B.jpeg

CD745081-BDB5-419E-97AB-DB308F657F79.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pair of KC Hilites Pro6 Gravity LED driving lights installed today. Will wire them up tomorrow! Though I had originally ordered these from Quadratec, two days ago they updated my fulfillment date to 6/29. Canceled that order and found them on Amazon, got them today.

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 JLUR “Build”—Newbie 4620E1A3-1FD1-40A4-BAC2-BD50BBF29B93

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got sound dampening material on about 1/3rd of the floor pan today—passenger side front and rear. The cargo area should be the easiest and then I’ll tackle the driver’s side. Surprisingly easy to remove the seats and carpeting.

Marman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Got sound dampening material on about 1/3rd of the floor pan today—passenger side front and rear. The cargo area should be the easiest and then I’ll tackle the driver’s side. Surprisingly easy to remove the seats and carpeting.
What floor pan dampening did you go with, looking at doing mine. Thanks

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What floor pan dampening did you go with, looking at doing mine. Thanks
I’m using the package that Hotheads puts together with Sound Assassin. I really don’t know any one product better than another but this goes on easy so far.

Sponsored

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wednesday is the big day! The first “real” excursion in the JLUR. Four days of fishing up in Door Co WI. Outfitted with the rod vault on the roof racks and decided to buy an alpine-sized roof top storage box too...both are narrow enough such that they can be mounted side-by-side. Frees up tons of space in the cabin of the Jeep. Also found that my fly rod tube is a perfect fit to be strapped to the roll cage in the cargo area. The storage space under the cargo floor is really useful too—I have spare spools of line there along with my rain gear. I’m going to figure out how to mount a hook (maybe even just another bungee cord) to the opposite side roll cage so I can hang my waders to dry there. I’ve got four days worth of supplies/gear/food/drinks all fitting in the cargo area alone. Pretty impressive. Can’t wait to leave Wednesday morning!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Wednesday is the big day! The first “real” excursion in the JLUR. Four days of fishing up in Door Co WI. Outfitted with the rod vault on the roof racks and decided to buy an alpine-sized roof top storage box too...both are narrow enough such that they can be mounted side-by-side. Frees up tons of space in the cabin of the Jeep. Also found that my fly rod tube is a perfect fit to be strapped to the roll cage in the cargo area. The storage space under the cargo floor is really useful too—I have spare spools of line there along with my rain gear. I’m going to figure out how to mount a hook (maybe even just another bungee cord) to the opposite side roll cage so I can hang my waders to dry there. I’ve got four days worth of supplies/gear/food/drinks all fitting in the cargo area alone. Pretty impressive. Can’t wait to leave Wednesday morning!
Have a great trip. Looking forward to pics.

-Steven

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have a great trip. Looking forward to pics.

-Steven
First excursion a success! Loved the Thule Rod Vault for keeping my fishing rods out of the way during the long drives and everything else tucked away nicely in various nooks and crannies.

The road manners of the (essentially stock) Rubicon were impressive! I didn’t find myself excessively adding steering inputs, power and torque were plentiful and gas mileage was perfectly acceptable.

I think the additions of both the headliner and sound deadening mat on the floor pan were very helpful in reducing overall road noise. I certainly was not bothered by it but more impressive was the fact that I didn’t even seem to notice it at all.

The most annoying characteristic of the Jeep Wrangler (while logging highway miles...at highway speeds...in Wisconsin...in early summer...)? You guessed it...bugs on the windshield and lights/grill. Wow. Literally had a difficult time seeing out the windshield after my drive up. First stop when I arrived was a gas station and equally important to filling up the tank was spending 10 min or so scrubbing the windshield and squeegee-ing it clean. They increased the rake of the windshield for the JL...first time Jeep owner but what in the world was this problem like in previous generations if it’s this bad with an “improved” design??? I do feel very lucky that I escaped with no cracks from rocks etc and certainly understand why that continues to be a problem with this vehicle.

Anyway, bugs aside. I averaged about 40 fish per day on my trip and I’d estimate an average weight of 3.5lb per fish. Time to rest my arms!!

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 JLUR “Build”—Newbie 1622020626209

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 JLUR “Build”—Newbie 1622020654856

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 JLUR “Build”—Newbie 1622020685449

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 JLUR “Build”—Newbie 1622020747127

OP
OP

unionjack515

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Headed back up to Door Co in a week. Will need to devote the cargo area to the dog, so I picked up a Thule alpine-sized cargo box to try and make up for the lost space. Perfect size to accompany the rod vault on the roof. A very Utilitarian Vehicle!! I’d argue it’s pretty Sporty too...ha

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 JLUR “Build”—Newbie 1622308987945

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 JLUR “Build”—Newbie 1622309033021
Sponsored