Sponsored

‘21 High Altitude pulls right after 2” lift

slapshot12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
I had the 2” spacer lift and shocks installed today. On the way home, it was pulling right, which it didn’t do before. I took it to a tire shop for an alignment, and they’re saying the rear track bar is too short and is causing the rear axle to cause the pulling right. In the reading I’ve done, I don’t think a 2” lift would require new track bars. Here’s the specs, Rubicon Express 2” spacer lift (JL7134), Bilstein 5100 shocks and steering stabilizer. Here a copy of the alignment sheet. They said the caster setting is what they normally set due to the crown of the road. Any advice before I order a new track bar is appreciated.

Jeep Wrangler JL ‘21 High Altitude pulls right after 2” lift 23D1E699-989D-466C-9B1F-8A6D6B04BDB2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Erock482

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport, Regeared and Locked to 4.10
Well, Caster is fixed unless you are using adjustable control arms, which don't seem to be a part of your kit.

Lifting the vehicle 2" will shift both the front and rear axles out of center, lots of 2" spring lifts that are fairly complete will include an adjustable front track bar and a rear trackbar relocation bracket to bring things back to center. However do note that the MOPAR 2" Lift does not, but does include longer front lower control arms to bring the caster back toward spec.

Did they re-align the steering wheel? I didn't do adjustable track bars on my JK for a while and didn't have a "pull" but the steering wheel did need re-aligned.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had the 2” spacer lift and shocks installed today. On the way home, it was pulling right, which it didn’t do before. I took it to a tire shop for an alignment, and they’re saying the rear track bar is too short and is causing the rear axle to cause the pulling right. In the reading I’ve done, I don’t think a 2” lift would require new track bars. Here’s the specs, Rubicon Express 2” spacer lift (JL7134), Bilstein 5100 shocks and steering stabilizer. Here a copy of the alignment sheet. They said the caster setting is what they normally set due to the crown of the road. Any advice before I order a new track bar is appreciated.

23D1E699-989D-466C-9B1F-8A6D6B04BDB2.jpeg
Alignment looks normal……The pull to the right is likely due to your new stabilizer. Some closed end stabilizers are not neutral. Take it off, push it in and see if it extends on it’s own……..

Newbomb

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
Having the same issue with my wife’s 21 JLU Sahara, fixed Teraflex lca, track bar centered, can’t figure it out. I even drove it without the steering stabilizer and it is still doing it.

Paulysjeep

First Name
Pauly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep search
Commenting to follow, I have a new 22' high altitude jl and I'm planning on putting a 2" spacer lift on also. Ive been eyeing the AEV.

Sponsored

OP
OP

slapshot12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alignment looks normal……The pull to the right is likely due to your new stabilizer. Some closed end stabilizers are not neutral. Take it off, push it in and see if it extends on it’s own……..
Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I have the same stabilizer (Bilstein 5100) on my Super Duty and don’t have an issue.

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I have the same stabilizer (Bilstein 5100) on my Super Duty and don’t have an issue.
Yeah, it seems to be hit and miss, same way with the Fox closed end SS as well…..

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Most roads are crowned for run off causing vehicles to drift right. The spacer lift reduced you caster so the rig will track worse and tend to wonder more.

OP
OP

slapshot12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was that the problem ?
YES!!!! The Bilstein is a constant pressure stabilizer as well. I took it off and did a test drive, pull was 95% gone. I’m fairly certain the little that was left was the crown of the road. I have a Fox through shaft stabilizer on order, along with front and rear adjustable track bars. I’ll get those on and have the alignment rechecked and see how it feels then. My next step will be adjustable front LCA’s if needed. Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
YES!!!! The Bilstein is a constant pressure stabilizer as well. I took it off and did a test drive, pull was 95% gone. I’m fairly certain the little that was left was the crown of the road. I have a Fox through shaft stabilizer on order, along with front and rear adjustable track bars. I’ll get those on and have the alignment rechecked and see how it feels then. My next step will be adjustable front LCA’s if needed. Thanks for the help!!
Sweet….. no problem…… yeah a little more caster will definitely improve the overall handling…..

OP
OP

slapshot12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked these Bilstein’s up ‘cause I’m surprised such a high end shock company didn’t research the JL enough to design their stabilizer to compete at least with the Fox non adjustable unit. Sure enough, the 5100 stabilizer is listed as being made for 2018-2022 JL. Too bad it doesn’t work. See the following Q&A by others who purchased the Bilstein stabilizer:
“Q: I recently installed this stabilizer on my jeep jl. Now it constantly pushes the vehicle to the right. Will this go away or do i need a different brand stabilizer?answer now
A: Same for me. Won’t go away, Problem is the high pressure gas charge, good for shocks, not so much for steering stabilizers. I’m putting the stock stabilizer back on.”

I’ve got the adjustable Fox factory stabilizer unit on my JLR with 35” tires (96lb) set to 14 clicks - it’s excellent. Been running Fox for years. Mountain bike in Santa Cruz and Watsonville where the Fox forks, seat posts, and rear shocks were conceived, then my Raptor had them so I made sure I got them for my JLR via the Mopar 2” lift kit and an adjustable stabilizer (although the stock one worked OK and also one I got from Metalcloak but I can crank up the Fox and it is good). Bilsteins were good on the BMW and on the Westfalia van; shame here they need to go to school on a better design for the Jeep. Good luck 👍
Yeah, I was surprised too. I’ve had Bilstein 5100 shocks and steering stabilizers on my past 3 Ford Super Duty trucks with no issues at all. I have stock Rubicon wheels and tires, so i think the Fox through shaft will be good. I’m going to go ahead and get adjustable lower front LCA’s while I’m at it so i can get the caster set higher than the stock suspensions will let me. Hoping to get it all dialed in at once.

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
could be a tire pull.
very common.
change the tire that it pulls to.
see if it goes away.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Are you sure it’s pulling or is it just your steering wheel no longer centered?

If it’s the latter you can just adjust your drag link to re-center.

Pulling means when you let go of the steering it steers one way - and make sure you’re not on a crowned road because that inherently causes a vehicle to steer “downslope”.

OP
OP

slapshot12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it's pulling right and the steering wheel is centered. I'll post a follow up after the get the new parts installed.
Sponsored