First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Occupation
Banker
Hey y’all, bought a 2020 Sport S Unlimited (first Wrangler) last May for my wife and I’m tired of seeing it sitting in the drive bone stock. She uses it as a daily driver (only 5 min to base) and I drive it when we go fishing or camping. That said, it only has 5,500 miles on it. I’m looking to chip away at some parts little by little. Not necessarily on a budget constraint, but would like to stay budget friendly given the amount we use it. That said, it would be greatly appreciated if any of you could give me some pointers at what you would starting with, products you would recommend, products you think I should consider, and if there is any modification I should or need to take to the dealer for installation.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Banker
Hey y’all, bought a 2020 Sport S Unlimited (first Wrangler) last May for my wife and I’m tired of seeing it sitting in the drive bone stock. She uses it as a daily driver (only 5 min to base) and I drive it when we go fishing or camping. That said, it only has 5,500 miles on it. I’m looking to chip away at some parts little by little. Not necessarily on a budget constraint, but would like to stay budget friendly given the amount we use it. That said, it would be greatly appreciated if any of you could give me some pointers at what you would starting with, products you would recommend, products you think I should consider, and if there is any modification I should or need to take to the dealer for installation.
Looking to add the following:
-> A lift to accommodate bigger tires (33s or 35s haven’t decided)
-> Change fender flares to aid with bigger tires
-> Front and rear hitch receiver (plus wiring harness) for when we go fishing (fishing crate in the front & kayak trailer in the rear)
-> Update lighting to LEDs all the way around
-> Improve interior lighting
-> Add auxiliary switch bank
-> Add air compressor
-> Add remote start
-> Add cold air intake

OP
OP

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Banker
Looking to add the following:
-> A lift to accommodate bigger tires (33s or 35s haven’t decided)
-> Change fender flares to aid with bigger tires
-> Front and rear hitch receiver (plus wiring harness) for when we go fishing (fishing crate in the front & kayak trailer in the rear)
-> Update lighting to LEDs all the way around
-> Improve interior lighting
-> Add auxiliary switch bank
-> Add air compressor
-> Add remote start
-> Add cold air intake
Also worth pointing out, I have worked on project cars (66 El Camino and 68 Dodge Polara) before so I’m completely oblivious when it comes to modifications, but I have not worked on anything newer then a 99 Silverado plus I currently limited on space and tools given I’m living on an Air Force Base and most of my tools are sitting in CA until we go back after COVID. So, if any modifications require a ton of space, specialty tool that costs a ridiculous price, or anything to do with a programmer, please point that out. I will take it to the dealership if I absolutely must, but would rather complete the build myself to get away from the crazy labor costs.

OP
OP

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Banker
Also worth pointing out, I have worked on project cars (66 El Camino and 68 Dodge Polara) before so I’m completely oblivious when it comes to modifications, but I have not worked on anything newer then a 99 Silverado plus I currently limited on space and tools given I’m living on an Air Force Base and most of my tools are sitting in CA until we go back after COVID. So, if any modifications require a ton of space, specialty tool that costs a ridiculous price, or anything to do with a programmer, please point that out. I will take it to the dealership if I absolutely must, but would rather complete the build myself to get away from the crazy labor costs.
As for some of the parts:
-> Debating picking up used fender flares & lift from Rubicon or going with MOPAR’s lift kit.
* What size lift is needed for 33s or 35s?
-> Leaning towards the Oracle Bi LED headlights, Oracle LED Fog-lights, and Oracle LED bulbs for remaining exterior lights.
-> Any recommendations for interior lighting improvements?
* I know Oracle offers a cargo light that replaces the rear wiper cover, but I am also looking to improve the cabin lighting since it is poor.
-> Any recommendations for front/rear hitch receiver?
*Saw a rear receiver on Extreme Terrain that comes with the wiring harness and is quite cheaper then MOPAR’s kit so I am leaning towards that unless there is any opposing thoughts.
-> Thoughts on MOPAR’s auxiliary switch bank compared to third party?
*Is this something I would be able to do myself?
->Do y’all have any recommendations for an air compressor set up?
* Will be used to air up after driving on the surf.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

good morning i see a bunch or views and no replies. i currently have a sportS. mopar makes a good lift kit but make sure you get the longer lower control arms and not the cam washers. 35's will look a lot better then the 33's but 33's are still work able. im on a 2.5" lift... ( note all lifts are from the factory rubicon height. 2.5 for a sport is more like 3.5" of lift.) rubicon suspension will give you about 1.75" of lift from your stock height FYI

quake makes a good wireless remote switch pod witch is pretty nice and a good price. 100 bucks. much better on the wallet then the 400+ dollar Spod's. cannot fathom paying 450 bucks for a set of 6 SSrelays with fusing.. way over priced.

are you looking to do on board air? if so there is a mount for inside the fender for the arb compressors. i like this kit and in the future plan on adding this myself but its a good amount of money. I opted for a VIAIR portable compressor to be honest its faster then the single arb compressor for cheaper and i don't have the weight on the jeep all the time.

Beamtech led lights have been great for me. swapped the stock halogen bulbs with Beamtech LED and its a world of a difference for 35 bucks or so. becarefull with most led converisons they add resistors to LED's that over heat to help draw power to keep the ECU from telling you that a light is out...

I recommend a tazer mini as well. it helps with tire recalibration and much more.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Banker
good morning i see a bunch or views and no replies. i currently have a sportS. mopar makes a good lift kit but make sure you get the longer lower control arms and not the cam washers. 35's will look a lot better then the 33's but 33's are still work able. im on a 2.5" lift... ( note all lifts are from the factory rubicon height. 2.5 for a sport is more like 3.5" of lift.) rubicon suspension will give you about 1.75" of lift from your stock height FYI

quake makes a good wireless remote switch pod witch is pretty nice and a good price. 100 bucks. much better on the wallet then the 400+ dollar Spod's. cannot fathom paying 450 bucks for a set of 6 SSrelays with fusing.. way over priced.

are you looking to do on board air? if so there is a mount for inside the fender for the arb compressors. i like this kit and in the future plan on adding this myself but its a good amount of money. I opted for a VIAIR portable compressor to be honest its faster then the single arb compressor for cheaper and i don't have the weight on the jeep all the time.

Beamtech led lights have been great for me. swapped the stock halogen bulbs with Beamtech LED and its a world of a difference for 35 bucks or so. becarefull with most led converisons they add resistors to LED's that over heat to help draw power to keep the ECU from telling you that a light is out...

I recommend a tazer mini as well. it helps with tire recalibration and much more.
Thanks for the reply. Saw quite a bit of reviews, but no replies which is probably due to the lengthy thread starter and basic questions.

I am leaning towards getting the Smittybuilt XRC Gen 2 bumpers with a winch. That said, would the Mopar two inch lift provide enough clearance to comfortably run 35s with no rub? On ET there is only one Mopar lift kit and it comes with the extended control arms. Can’t find any Rubicon take offs around my area on Craigslist, but I am going to broaden up the search later this week.

I’ll look into the quake option for the lights. Probably going to start with the Oracle cargo light that affixes to the rear wiper assembly and see if I am satisfied with that.

I would love to do an onboard compressor and would ultimately like to go the dual ARB route, but the only mounting kit I have seen is for the engine bay through DV8 which has some hit and miss reviews. Could you go ahead and drop that link for the fender mount so I can take a look? I might ending following your route as to holding off on the ARB and going with a more economical compressor to use in the mean time. Figured the ARB I would be able to connect to the Auxillary bank so my wife wouldn’t have to get under the hood if I’m not around.

I haven’t heard of the Oracle Bi LEDs having that issue, so maybe someone else can chime in. Always up for some additional info. Hoping Oracle is able to offer their heated lenses soon, if not I’ll just go with the base Bi LED kit. Taillights have been a pain to find. Seems like everyone offers the smoked lights and not regulars. I know the smoked look cool, but I would rather not deal with arguing with a cop on the legality of them especially since I will probably be heading to CA in three years or so. If you have any recommendations let me know.

I have seen the Tazer Mini mentioned quite a bit, but ET also has the Superchips Flashpaq F5 tuner so I’m curious to hear the comparison.

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Welcome to the club. I can’t speak for every point on here but can help with a few
  1. Mopar lift will net u at least 3 inches on a sport even though it says 2. You will easily be able to run 35’s with no change to fender or rub. For comparison, I installed a 2.5 inch teraflex lift and have 35’s with no rubbing
  2. Also installed oracle LED headlights and mopar led taillights. There are so many options out there for each it’s really just your preference. Neither of mine had any flicker problems however if you are looking for daytime running lights those require a bit more wiring.
  3. I don’t have cargo light but the Oracle and brawlee seem to be popular and have good reviews. Here is a long the brawlee https://www.amazon.com/Brawlee-Wrangler-Hardtops-Factory-Tailgating/dp/B07KNM7Y2M
    Good luck on the modding. It’s the best part of owning a Jeep!

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Depending which way you want to go lift wise:
I run a rough country 2.5” budget boost
35x12.5x17 on black rhino Barstow -18 offset
Rugged ridge spartan front bumper
Badlands 12k winch (switched to synthetic line)
Quadratec maximum duty nitro 8.0 shocks (I will be switching when they go. Not bad but ride is somewhat stiff)
Rubicon take off rock sliders.

I’m all in for about $3500. It is my daily and I like to play on the rocks. Nothing crazy blue trails and below. I run at Raush creek and AOAA and haven’t had any issues yet with this setup. If I was going hardcore I’d definitely do a legit suspension lift.

3448DBE9-0CDD-435A-B74B-303B6EE2FB17.jpeg

053E6D0A-EB5D-4BBD-8959-721293E8BB05.jpeg

DA3594D1-18D4-4097-B0BD-B19212DBAFC7.jpeg

971E9823-FA43-4987-9B38-E347E79B201A.jpeg

9F1C924C-BD1A-4AD5-B5B9-C7F592DBEBFD.jpeg

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Banker
OP
OP

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Banker
Welcome to the club. I can’t speak for every point on here but can help with a few
  1. Mopar lift will net u at least 3 inches on a sport even though it says 2. You will easily be able to run 35’s with no change to fender or rub. For comparison, I installed a 2.5 inch teraflex lift and have 35’s with no rubbing
  2. Also installed oracle LED headlights and mopar led taillights. There are so many options out there for each it’s really just your preference. Neither of mine had any flicker problems however if you are looking for daytime running lights those require a bit more wiring.
  3. I don’t have cargo light but the Oracle and brawlee seem to be popular and have good reviews. Here is a long the brawlee https://www.amazon.com/Brawlee-Wrangler-Hardtops-Factory-Tailgating/dp/B07KNM7Y2M
    Good luck on the modding. It’s the best part of owning a Jeep!
How does the MOPAR lift compare to others? Is there a different kit you would recommend? Why? New to this and trying to figure which stuff is preferred before making a mod I regret or could have done better.

Did you have to have the dealer do anything for the LED tail lights? Looking for something that is bright enough for the rear camera at night when my wife drives. Preferably something I can do at the house and not worry about taking to the dealer.

What needs to be done to upgrade DRLs?

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

-> Thoughts on MOPAR’s auxiliary switch bank compared to third party?
*Is this something I would be able to do myself?
I would recommend that you go aftermarket, specifically the JL300 switch. For starters, it's cheaper than the mopar option, and it also give you more switches (6 vs 4). Secondly, I think it looks a lot cleaner and better than the factory option. You can also cover up the non-used switches with the stickers they give you so that as your accessories grow, you don't have these blank switch panels.

I did the install myself and had honestly NO electrical experience other than swapping out a few light switches/outlets at home, and it took me a couple of hours. Knowing what I'm doing now, it would probably take me less than about an hour to do. I also love that it's powered, so when you wire in accessories you're just running the hot wire to the switch, and then the negative back to the battery, so your engine bay stays pretty wire-free.

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
How does the MOPAR lift compare to others? Is there a different kit you would recommend? Why? New to this and trying to figure which stuff is preferred before making a mod I regret or could have done better.

Did you have to have the dealer do anything for the LED tail lights? Looking for something that is bright enough for the rear camera at night when my wife drives. Preferably something I can do at the house and not worry about taking to the dealer.

What needs to be done to upgrade DRLs?
i think most folks are happy with the mopar lift. I simply went teraflex because my local offroad shop suggested and I trust them. Turned out great.

the mopar led tailights are plug and play. Simple 5 min install. For the daytime running lights some other kind members will need to chime in. Some folks wired to aux switches. Will see if I can locate the thread where I found that solution
Sponsored