dustdriver (2018 Sting Grey JLUR)

Specs, Mods, Photos

MODEL YEAR
2018
MAKE
Jeep
MODEL / TRIM
Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
COLOR
Sting-Gray
ENGINE
2.0L 4-cyl Turbo eTorque
TRANSMISSION
8 speed auto
PACKAGES
Cold weather group, LED lights, Alpine premium audio w/8.4 nav, steel bumpers, etc.
MODS - WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES
These factory BFG KO2's are outstanding tires for all-season use (bonus is the "3-peak mountain snowflake" rating, which is considered the same as a studded tire here in Oregon). Might go back to a (siped) mud-terrain if I can find a 285/70/17 in a C load rating; unfortunately, BFG does not currently offer the KM3 in that spec (wth?), but Falken does...
MODS - TIRE SIZE
Stock (Factory Tire Size)
MODS - SUSPENSION / CHASSIS
None necessary
MODS - LIFT HEIGHT
Stock (Factory Height)
MODS - POWERTRAIN / DRIVETRAIN
None necessary- Jeep got it right with the 2.0L 4-cyl turbo and automatic transmission!
MODS - EXTERIOR
Mopar grille guard, Warn Zeon 10-S winch with Factor55 hardware; Delta 6.50-Inch 150 Series round fog lights in AMBER (nothing beats amber for a fog light!); GTS yellow fog light covers; Ceramic tinted (50%) both front door windows for UV protection; two ActionTrax boards; Astra Depot flip-up front license plate bracket
MODS - INTERIOR
Hi-Lift jack on a Dominion Off-Road Stealth Hi-Lift Mount w/accessory bars and hand tools; Mopar grab handles, Quadratec door entry guards and slush mats; custom DIY wooden tailgate table and cargo shelf
MODS - IN-CAR ELECTRONICS
RAM ball mount, fitted to the driver's side freedom top panel front latch (phone, GPS, etc.)
MODS - SOFTWARE / TUNE / PROGRAMMER
Not necessary
HISTORY / EXPERIENCE / COMMENTS
Hello from eastern Oregon (the "dry side").

This is my 4th Jeep (2000 TJ, 2008 JKUR, 2014 JKUR, and now this one). I owned several small pickups before that. Turns out everything I needed to know about off-roading I learned driving a 1977 two-wheel drive Datsun pickup with a manual transmission (it's all about where you put the tires, right?).

I spent thousands of $$$ on my previous Jeeps, modifying them in predictable (and expensive) stages to do what this one is ready to do straight from the factory and under warranty. This is how I think Rubicons should always have been made in the first place: front and rear lockers, basic armor, and 33's that do NOT rub (even when the anti-sway bar is disconnected!). This Jeep will do 90% of what I want to do these days, without any mods necessary (the other 10% should make me pause anyway). Purrs down the highway, snarls on the trails. (24 MPG!? More like 18, but hey, I'll take it.) Probably THE most versatile vehicle ever made, if you demand variety and capability in one rig that does it all.

CAN you build your Jeep up into a beast? Yes. Should you? Debatable!

BTW, the first JLUR I drove was a 6-speed manual with a 6-cylinder, but it seemed really mismatched, the shifter was not ergonomically friendly, and the combination of that engine on that transmission in that model just didn't drive the way I hoped it would (maybe it was a fluke, or specific to the Rubicon, I don't know...). A couple of months later, on a bored day I test drove a JLUR 4-cylinder turbo with the automatic and eTorque, and was completely blown away. As much as I like driving a stick, Jeep got it right with this combo, IMO.

The performance of the eTorque 2.0L turbo matched with this transmission is excellent. If I were still into smashing up the undercarriage on rocks, I would not have the eTorque because of the 48V battery location underneath (albeit with a skid plate), but then you have the hidden, PITA little auxiliary battery issues, so... just depends on how you drive your Jeep I think.

All that said, I am very tempted to buy a very basic, two-door Sport with a manual transmission and call it good, but I can't locate one to test drive (yet). The multi-billion dollar aftermarket industry doesn't like to hear it, but looking back, there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

Most recent lesson learned? Carry a good set of traction boards (I like the USA- made ActionTrax).




Item information

Added by
dustdriver
Views
1,156
Comments
1
Last update

More in Rubicon Unlimited

Share this item




Advertisement
Top