I’ve seen JKs rolling around with them, so there’s at least a market to give it away. I bet you could get $25-50 for it if you’re patient enough. Those JK bumpers faded bad after a while, I bet someone out there wants to replace it.
they’re also hot garbage. They’re not weather tight from what I’ve read, so what’s the point? If the weather is coming in anyway, I’d rather be doorless.
if they were cheaper, I’d go with eh, good enough approach, but they’re expensive and not worth the price IMO.
They haven’t. A few examples Below. I’d say it’s the worst at the tailgate hinges and under the rail along the cargo area of the tub. It’s not corrosion, just a really shitty paint job.
I don’t plan on doing anything yet about it. Its not noticeable to anyone unless you’re looking for it. I’ll...
I’m not aware of any steps you add to rails. Needs to be one or the other. There are rails that have steps built in, but you would have to swap out the rails you just put on. Edit: I stand corrected. See comment below.
Mopar makes performance rails that are also a step if you want to stay...
I know. I feel bad for the future owner. Wish there was a way to leave hidden but obvious message in there.
It’s still waiting out behind the service department waiting for a gear shifter, so I don’t think it’ll be resold any time soon, though.
Thanks! I really like the wheels, too. I’m usually not for the gimmicky editions with cosmetic upgrades (it’s got special seats, too), but this one definitely resonated with me. Plus, the anniversary edition has pretty much everything my Sahara had. And most importantly, the check engine light...
Brand new, never installed. Will ship exactly as they shipped to me.
$260 shipped to the contiguous 48 states.
I am in Atlanta, GA, so if you are local I could take a little off if you want to pick up.
Here is the link to the manufacturer's website...
I will probably do that. SA is meeting with the service manager today, so I’m waiting for them to get back to me. Hoping to hear about a loaner vehicle today, so I’ll try to talk to the service or sales manager when I pick it up.
That seems like some really solid advice. Thank you for taking the time to write all that out.
I was trying to decide if me telling them my intentions of basically just trading it in as soon as it’s fixed this time would help or hurt me (me basically saying ha, it’s your problem now), but the...