Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Two quick projects over the weekend.

1. I added a NMO antenna for the GMRS radio. Both the CB and GMRS terminate under the passenger seat. I mounted the GMRS antenna to the top of the 3rd brake light for now and routed the wires through the plastic piece to hide the exposed wire as best as possible. Maybe people will think I am a cop with that mount point. :) Someday I will get a different rear bumper and tire carrier and will have to update the mount, but this should be good for a while. I see Midland is selling their own version now, but I bought a browning antenna and wire from Amazon.

2. Picked up the Quadratic "pre-runner" light kit. Super easy install. I pulled the 6 clips, and then just rocked the grill forward since the winch is in the way of a full removal. Weirdly/Sadly the grill cuts like butter, not even a hard snap. Simple cheap project and I think it looks good and competes with all the Ford Raptors I see around here.

Of course, pictures or it didn't happen:

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not today, but this weekend put some underhood lights in with the redline tuning struts.
E8-D2625-B-231-D-429-D-8822-B93-D9897-EBE5.jpg

More details here in the lighting section.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes

1. I added a NMO antenna for the GMRS radio. Both the CB and GMRS terminate under the passenger seat. I mounted the GMRS antenna to the top of the 3rd brake light for now and routed the wires through the plastic piece to hide the exposed wire as best as possible. Maybe people will think I am a cop with that mount point. :) Someday I will get a different rear bumper and tire carrier and will have to update the mount, but this should be good for a while. I see Midland is selling their own version now, but I bought a browning antenna and wire from Amazon.

2. Picked up the Quadratic "pre-runner" light kit. Super easy install. I pulled the 6 clips, and then just rocked the grill forward since the winch is in the way of a full removal. Weirdly/Sadly the grill cuts like butter, not even a hard snap. Simple cheap project and I think it looks good and competes with all the Ford Raptors I see around here.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg
Are the orange lights in your grill the new ones from Quadratec?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing huge, my son bought me a Flag Grill insert, I finally got around to installing it. I dragged my feet as I knew I had to modify it to my Bolt hood Lock. I know they make predrilled ones but I did not want to break his heart to exchange it, he was so proud of it. Not to mention I made mine custom so it had the same shape as the bolt insert that came with it. I split some fuel tube around metal edges on new cutout and glued it in place.

IMG_20200121_170724.jpg
IMG_20200121_180834.jpg
IMG_20200128_103216.jpg
Now that is simply...A W E S O M E

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Installed the following over the last few months:
1) rough country low profile 30” light bar
2) rough country MLC-6 switch controller
3) Radonair short antenna
4) rear cup holder
5) rubicon tires and wheels
6) Quadratec spare tire brake light ring

Having fun!

012819A6-312E-4A4F-BCFE-C17F8C18BCCA.jpeg

0B49913C-E7E4-44C9-A64B-CC9892D9312B.jpeg

FEBFB5E7-95E2-473A-841F-D5B1BFD9051D.jpeg

90EAE1B1-FCAA-4600-A965-AD9ABBE79D25.jpeg

DD4EB37D-A1B4-4131-B37D-85701CD47BB6.jpeg
Is there a lot of reflection fron the hood with the light bar?

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
Installed the @Bestop Sunrider for hardtop and front and rear @RanchoShocks diff covers. Sorry, no pics at the moment, but they’re nothing y’all haven’t seen.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

I’m curious about the performance of that GMRS antenna. I like that it’s low profile and out of the way. How’s it working for you?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing huge, my son bought me a Flag Grill insert, I finally got around to installing it. I dragged my feet as I knew I had to modify it to my Bolt hood Lock. I know they make predrilled ones but I did not want to break his heart to exchange it, he was so proud of it. Not to mention I made mine custom so it had the same shape as the bolt insert that came with it. I split some fuel tube around metal edges on new cutout and glued it in place.

IMG_20200121_170724.jpg
IMG_20200121_180834.jpg
IMG_20200128_103216.jpg
It’s almost like you know what the fck you’re doing. Very cool! Haha Looks good too

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice, I do really appreciate the feedback. Also glad to think I'm potentially helping someone else in the same boat.

Yes, I know exactly how to tune an antenna. Having a reading as close to the perfect quarter wave ratio value of 1.0 over all 40 channels is the goal. Increasing or decreasing the optimal antenna lenth for the low frequencies could have an overly detrimental affect at the higher frequencies or vice versa. The trick, or rather the art of this tuning effort is to balance the ratio to as close to 1.0 over the entire range as possible. No matter what antenna length is set, it will only be optimal for a single frequency. In theory, this should be in the middle of the CB range, channel 20 (or 27.205 Mhz).

The 1/4 wavelength at this frequency is approximately 8ft 7.9in. Wavelength = speed / frequency, where speed is the speed of the wave (very near the speed of light in Earth's atmosphere).

So to optimize your antenna you need to be as close to a multiple integral of that value as possible. Therefore an optimal CB length would be 4ft 3.95in.

I do have a BS in Physics and this effort is indeed no big deal. And again, thanks so much for the help.

Still, how many people would tear half of their Jeep apart to install the antenna and route the coax to have an almost obsolete CB radio if they didn't have an inkling in how to approach it? So your link and advice do certainly apply.

Primarily however, my agreement with the CB shop owner was two-fold, my interest in getting his expert advice, which I used doing this particular installation and two, his interest in seeing and measuring the RF (radio frequency) result characteristics when mounting the antenna low and in the back of the vehicle. So a win-win education for everyone all around. I'm sure he already knows all this but my thinking is he just wants to play around with my Jeep as well.

Also, I likely won't install many CB radios. This will probably be my one and only attempt. So I'll use the SWR $25 savings towards my next mod. I did buy the Sport S (and not a Rubi) because for me money is an object, and there are so many (many) way cooler things other than a CB that others are doing in this forum that I wish I could emulate.

I really posted this essentially because I'm jealous of all the other contributers. I'm so happy to just be able to post this meager mod.

Jay
Your new member name is now: Radar