Scout Trooper 2 Door Build

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Glad to be helpful. I will have my artec rear plate relocation bracket up for sale shortly if you're interested. The new cavfab tire carrier has one built in so I no longer have a need for the artec. I have the wiring kit too that I never got around to using.
Tks for the offer, but booger, I already pulled the trigger, and it came today, getting installed today. I wasn’t aware there was a wiring kit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Finished up my new tire carrier install this weekend. I ended up going with the CavFab Elite Carrier. My first impression of it is that it's awesome. Super clean and beefy. It is extremely well built. Looks great color matched (not a perfect match but it's close).

I was waiting for Maximus-3 to release their carrier, but after I decided that I no longer wanted to hang a bunch of gear off the back, I decided on CavFab. It ticks all the boxes for me; replaces the factory hinges, relocates the license plate, looks clean. Install was easy also. Hardest part was lifting the tire on and off a few times to get it dialed in.

Also, added the @DynoMax Exhaust muffler elimination pipe a couple of weeks ago. I'm liking the sound so far. It's not perfect. It's a little obnoxious on the highway when the Jeep drops into 5th and 6th on the inclines. What I am loving is the clean look, the added clearance, and the 20lb weight reduction. Winning!

IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG

I thought this was kind of cool also. Scout Trooper is the current Build Of The Week over on Revkit.
thumbnail.png

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feels like it's been a year since I did anything with the Jeep. I kind of shut down for the winter because I hate the cold. However, I decided to make the trip out to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari next year and I got shit to do. I also kind of went hog wild on Black Friday amassing parts for my EJS 2020 prep.

First up is a new set of rock sliders. They are Shrockworks' new offering for the 2 Door. I got them in bare steel and coated them with Steel-It Gray. That was a project. Turned out nice IMO. They pose a bit of an issue with the EVO Exhaust Loop Skid. It uses the same mounting location on the frame. I'm going to have to modify that - hopefully just enlarging the mounting hole on the plate will be all that's needed.

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4274.JPG

Next, I installed the Synergy Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace and also their HD Adjustable Track Bar. This install couldn't have come at a better time. The day before I installed this I got my first taste of death wobble. At about 30 mph I was traversing our lovely NE Ohio roads and it hit. had to slow down to about 10 before it stopped. I'd had been noticing the steering get a little loose over the last few months. Certain bumps would send the steering wheel back and forth more than what I would consider normal. When I took off the OEM track bar I noticed 2 things. The frame side bushing was trashed and the track bar mounting hole on the frame bracket was in the very beginning stages of rounding out/enlarging.

After the install, there is a noticeable difference in steering feel. It's so much tighter and a lot less vague. I never had any wandering issues or what I thought was an overly large dead spot in the steering. This setup virtually eliminated what little play I had in the steering. I drove the same road that induced the death wobble trying to see if it would do it again and it didn't. I'm fairly certain the culprit was that OEM trackbar but I'll be changing out the rest of the steering components anyhow. IMO this needs to be on every JL. It's that good.

IMG_4266.JPG

Here's what's in store for the rest of the winter. I hope it stays warm.

Synergy HD Drag Link & Tie Rod with steering stabilizer relocation
Synergy Adjustable Front LCA's
RCV Front Axle shafts
CavFab Rear Diff Cover
Beadlocks
Maybe 38's???? :like:

Last edited:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I really liked the storage setup you did in the back and it definitely gave me some good idea for my Jeep. As far as not enjoying it - my advice is get camping gear that is oriented to backpacking. I know that camping out of a Jeep (or a vehicle I mean) means that weight shouldn't matter, but it definitely does. Someone else made a really good comment about lightweight kitchen stuff and I can't second that enough. My girlfriend's brother hiked the Appalachian trail and he learned quickly what is necessary and what isn't. I bounce idea off him constantly with the type of gear I should get for camping. I have an REI coop membership and while nicer camping gear can be very expensive, its just part of the joys of owning a Jeep.

The total of my camping gear, sans the tent and chairs, fits in one 27 gallon container. This includes my stove and all my kitchen stuff. I think you can definitely enjoy "overlanding" more, but you'll just have to get gear (camping, lift, etc) that is more specific to your needs.

I am really enjoying the build though and I look forward to more updates! I appreciate all the ideas and feedback for stuff I wanna do.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really liked the storage setup you did in the back and it definitely gave me some good idea for my Jeep. As far as not enjoying it - my advice is get camping gear that is oriented to backpacking. I know that camping out of a Jeep (or a vehicle I mean) means that weight shouldn't matter, but it definitely does. Someone else made a really good comment about lightweight kitchen stuff and I can't second that enough. My girlfriend's brother hiked the Appalachian trail and he learned quickly what is necessary and what isn't. I bounce idea off him constantly with the type of gear I should get for camping. I have an REI coop membership and while nicer camping gear can be very expensive, its just part of the joys of owning a Jeep.

The total of my camping gear, sans the tent and chairs, fits in one 27 gallon container. This includes my stove and all my kitchen stuff. I think you can definitely enjoy "overlanding" more, but you'll just have to get gear (camping, lift, etc) that is more specific to your needs.

I am really enjoying the build though and I look forward to more updates! I appreciate all the ideas and feedback for stuff I wanna do.
I've since paired down my camping gear quite a bit. Most of it by doing just what you said. Eliminating unnecessary items and going lighter on the essentials. It's a process for sure.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad the storage system was an inspiration. That's still by far my favorite mod.

Now, if it would just warm up so I can install the rest of my parts...

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I've since paired down my camping gear quite a bit. Most of it by doing just what you said. Eliminating unnecessary items and going lighter on the essentials. It's a process for sure.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad the storage system was an inspiration. That's still by far my favorite mod.

Now, if it would just warm up so I can install the rest of my parts...
Yep, I guess with age the weather gets to me more now too. I'm a fair weather motorcyclist and a fair weather garage mechanic. I know some people who still ride around topless this time of year.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I guess with age the weather gets to me more now too. I'm a fair weather motorcyclist and a fair weather garage mechanic. I know some people who still ride around topless this time of year.
I'm good above 40, but if it's that warm, it's usually wet during the winter. My garage is full in the winter with the summer toys. It's a PITA to take them out of storage mode just for a day or 2 of wrenching. Guess I need either a bigger garage, relocate, or both. ;)

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Irishtim7, you have mentioned weight in several posts. Have you weighed. My JLR is built similarly to yours and weighs 5,180 loaded with me in it. Just wondering how yours compares https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/sourdough.1163/
Also wondering what your lower edge fender height is with your lift. My Mopar lower fender edges are right at 42.5" frt. and rear. Never had a bottoming out issue as equipped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Irishtim7, you have mentioned weight in several posts. Have you weighed. My JLR is built similarly to yours and weighs 5,180 loaded with me in it. Just wondering how yours compares https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/sourdough.1163/
Also wondering what your lower edge fender height is with your lift. My Mopar lower fender edges are right at 42.5" frt. and rear. Never had a bottoming out issue as equipped.
I haven't weighed it. Where do you even have that done? Truck Stops? I know I've added approximately 175lbs sprung and 175lbs unsprung weight. I know exactly what my tools and camping gear weighs. I don't often have all of it in the Jeep at once anymore. When I went out to Colorado I had over 500 lbs of gear.

I'll have to get back to you on the fender measurements. I do know that my total lift in the rear is 2.25" as measured from the frame to the factory bump stop plate on the axle.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Truck stops charge but I found free public scales thru google search. No worries, just wondering because we have the same
JLR and many of the same mods.. I could/should have documented lift height and weight better.
Hope to meet up @ EJS.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braved the cold, the snow, and the rain this past weekend and finished up the Synergy HD steering. Also got my CavFab rear diff cover installed. So much more to do before EJS. Wheels should be back from powder and new tires should also be in this week. If the weather cooperates, I think the RCV's will go in this weekend. Still waiting on inner fenders to do the fender chop.

The front LCA's went on about 3 weeks ago. I'm at aprox 6 deg of caster (4.2 deg before the LCA install) and 1/8" toe in on the alignment. The jeep practically drives itself now. Super Impressed.

And yeah, that's a major Rancho powder coat fail. I have to pull that damn glide plate off and re-coat it. I hate rust. My tire carrier is already rusting and looks like shit - extremely pissed about that.

IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4295.JPG
IMG_4298.JPG

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Braved the cold, the snow, and the rain this past weekend and finished up the Synergy HD steering. Also got my CavFab rear diff cover installed. So much more to do before EJS. Wheels should be back from powder and new tires should also be in this week. If the weather cooperates, I think the RCV's will go in this weekend. Still waiting on inner fenders to do the fender chop.

The front LCA's went on about 3 weeks ago. I'm at aprox 6 deg of caster (4.2 deg before the LCA install) and 1/8" toe in on the alignment. The jeep practically drives itself now. Super Impressed.

And yeah, that's a major Rancho powder coat fail. I have to pull that damn glide plate off and re-coat it. I hate rust. My tire carrier is already rusting and looks like shit - extremely pissed about that.

IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4295.JPG
IMG_4298.JPG
Looking good! Spray some Fluid Film on everything and you won't have any issues with rust or corrosion.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking good! Spray some Fluid Film on everything and you won't have any issues with rust or corrosion.
Thanks Chris. What would you suggest I do with the tire carrier rust? It's just starting to rust on all the edges. Would I need to clean that up somehow before applying the Fluid Film?

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Great job! Really nice looking ...
Sponsored