Sponsored

Best sounding Cold Air Intake??

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the best sounding Cold Air Intake to you guys?

I plan on adding one soon, just unsure of which. I already have the Gibson dual Exhaust installed. I’ve included a clip below.
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

I plan on adding one soon, just unsure of which. I already have the Gibson dual Exhaust installed. I’ve included a clip below.
I have K&N cold air - amazing sound/performance!

...combined with Magnaflow dual exit and a throttle body spacer. My opinion - best sound(and performance) your going to get out of the 3.6L. At about 4k-5K rpms it sounds like a monster.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
@Tahoma

Just made short sound clip.

Turn volume up. You can hear all 3....exhaust, intake and throttle body spacer whistle.

(Hit about 3800rpm)

Sponsored

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
A snorkel is the only true "cold air" intake, otherwise you're just pulling hot engine bay air.
Well, I took a air conditioning vent once on a 79 f150 and run it thru firewall straight into carburetor. When you wanted it to run just close off inside vents and run AC on high. In the summer in Florida you could feel the power difference.
Yeah, I use to be crazy !
Edit, actually I run it directly into end of a cone shaped K an N .. Then if it sucked more .Air than AC could provide. It would breathe normal.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Well, I took a air conditioning vent once on a 79 f150 and run it thru firewall straight into carburetor. When you wanted it to run just close off inside vents and run AC on high. In the summer in Florida you could feel the power difference.
Yeah, I use to be crazy !
Edit, actually I run it directly into end of a cone shaped K an N .. Then if it sucked more .Air than AC could provide. It would breathe normal.
Red neck intake....love it!!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6

You'll have a lot of smartasses telling you not to do it even though you said you're after sound. Just ignore then. Here's what I've found with the Pentastar in my experience...

Volume: To get the most volume from the intake, make sure there aren't any resonators. It needs to be a smooth tube. Also get one that is exposed and not in an air box or an airbox that can have the top lid removed.

Quality of sound: If it has metal construction (e. g. intake tube) it'll sound tinny. Thick pastic dampens the high frequency tinny sounds and give a deeper growl. Having a thick plastic airbox with the lid off will work somewhat like a loudspeaker as it will reflect sound in one direction.

Otherwise, the aftermarket intakes don't differ much... just make sure you get an oil free filter unless you want to look up filter oil misting the internals because of over oiling. Personally that's crap I don't need to worry about.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
You'll have a lot of smartasses telling you not to do it even though you said you're after sound. Just ignore then. Here's what I've found with the Pentastar in my experience...

Volume: To get the most volume from the intake, make sure there aren't any resonators. It needs to be a smooth tube. Also get one that is exposed and not in an air box or an airbox that can have the top lid removed.

Quality of sound: If it has metal construction (e. g. intake tube) it'll sound tinny. Thick pastic dampens the high frequency tinny sounds and give a deeper growl. Having a thick plastic airbox with the lid off will work somewhat like a loudspeaker as it will reflect sound in one direction.

Otherwise, the aftermarket intakes don't differ much... just make sure you get an oil free filter unless you want to look up filter oil misting the internals because of over oiling. Personally that's crap I don't need to worry about.
Find this very helpful. Any air intakes specifically that you're aware of that check off "all of the above"?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
K&N all day
K&N disposable filters are good... which Airaid also has. Can you keep the top lid of a K&N air box off? Wait... it's barely a box. So the Airaid produces louder growl... but yeah get the K&N if you want it to be quieter and have oil misting internals when you over oil... sure they'll cry you shouldn't over oil it but you need to pour oil on it ans get it evenly spread... what a joke. It's a great way to sell expensive things to people who don't understand engines.

Last edited:

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m very happy with the Mopar CAI - the ability to open the hood outlet to allow outside air in was the major selling feature for me...others that leave the intake under the hood are simply high flow intakes not cold air intakes. YMMV

B7DF04F3-8E7C-45C2-8BA0-BFED4683ED81.jpeg

E71F5339-B27D-4385-8FC0-72D904E878CD.jpeg

83DD731A-C8C7-4013-81C1-359FBD91830C.jpeg

A0B407CB-F3CC-4494-AF4E-DE4BAF8EA396.jpeg
Sponsored