00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
My dealer uses the Pennzoil Platinum synthetic for the Jeep Wave changes. I also educated them on the 5qt thing at the time of the first change. The service manager printed out the FCA instructions for the JL and met with the guys in the shop and posted them at the oil change bays. I've had good luck so far on the first two changes. I do my own 5-tire rotations because I need the exercise and don't want to try to explain it to them.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Does anyone even make a 0w20 that isn’t a full synthetic? I’ve never seen it.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Also make sure you tell them to rotate all 5 tires, else a lot will do only 4
They'll do four anyhow, at least that's my experience.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Does anyone even make a 0w20 that isn’t a full synthetic? I’ve never seen it.
Synthetic blend is available from Penzoil and maybe others.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I got the idea from another forum member to get a plastic tie with a place on it to add a label, and attach it to the oil intake with the label reading, "this Wrangler takes 5, not 6 quarts of oil," much as the dealer I took it to did things correctly (anyway?).

Another thought, if you want to handle oil changes outside the dealership, whether that's on your own or with another non-FCA service provider, keep detailed records.

Should warranty claims on your part ever be required, FCA may push back saying you didn't get your oil changed consistent with the owner's manual recommended frequency and voided your warranty, barring your ability to produce such records.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...Another thought, if you want to handle oil changes outside the dealership, whether that's on your own or with another non-FCA service provider, keep detailed records.

Should warranty claims on your part ever be required, FCA may push back saying you didn't get your oil changed consistent with the owner's manual recommended frequency and voided your warranty, barring your ability to produce such records.
Not bad advice to keep records, but I'd do it more for resale and self tracking.
Concerns with warranty issues wouldn't likely be a factor, as FCA's push back would have directly link the claim to evidence of improper maintenance. Warranties are like innocence. You innocent until proven guilty, and your warranty is valid until they can prove you did something to damage the part needing repaired. Even then they can only void things directly related to what they are claiming.
Again, I'm not saying it's bad advice. I just think a lot of people tend to a bit too nervous about their warranties. They're actually pretty solid coverage, and protected by federal law. I still track all my oil changes. I log the date, mileage, and keep the receipts for the supplies. It helps for resale value to show a potential buyer that it's been maintained, but you're right it does give me security against a potential warranty dispute too. I just don't think that's very likely.

OP
OP
Michael A

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
With all this discussion about the dealer using the wrong amount for an oil change, I decided last night to check the oil level (200 miles on the vehicle), sure enough it is overfilled where it slightly exceeds the the top range mark of the dips stick (cold engine). I will remove some of the oil before driving it again.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
With all this discussion about the dealer using the wrong amount for an oil change, I decided last night to check the oil level (200 miles on the vehicle), sure enough it is overfilled where it slightly exceeds the the top range mark of the dips stick (cold engine). I will remove some of the oil before driving it again.
I think that's ok?

Especially if just done. Could be wrong though.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Not bad advice to keep records, but I'd do it more for resale and self tracking.
Concerns with warranty issues wouldn't likely be a factor, as FCA's push back would have directly link the claim to evidence of improper maintenance. Warranties are like innocence. You innocent until proven guilty, and your warranty is valid until they can prove you did something to damage the part needing repaired. Even then they can only void things directly related to what they are claiming.
Again, I'm not saying it's bad advice. I just think a lot of people tend to a bit too nervous about their warranties. They're actually pretty solid coverage, and protected by federal law. I still track all my oil changes. I log the date, mileage, and keep the receipts for the supplies. It helps for resale value to show a potential buyer that it's been maintained, but you're right it does give me security against a potential warranty dispute too. I just don't think that's very likely.
I hear this Winchell and agree. In short you feel onus lies on the Warrantor to prove owner negligence, all while proof positive by said owner that this isn't the case is good pratice. :)

OP
OP
Michael A

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
Jut drained over 1 qt of oil to get the dip stick to show 'full'. I hope no damage was done.
Sponsored