Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Mods, Move if necessary.

I've seen some fantastic videos (and photos) of trail rides and trips on this forum. For those of you who are shooting trail ride videos- What is your set up? Looking to maybe start shooting some trail ride footage because I'm kind of tired of seeing standard, crappy phone videos.
Cameras?
Mics?
Drones?
Video editing suite?

I know some stuff about Photography and TV production, given that I did a bunch of work in college (broadcast/ Comm major), but I haven't really done much recently and most of what I do know is Higher end (production budget) kind of stuff that isn't really cut out for the moisture, dust, and shocks associated with off roading. Thanks!
Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
I do two types of video on trails - I've got a 4-camera system on the Jeep that helps me get the right line and avoid obstacles and has recording capability. It's got a camera looking forward at each front tire, one on the front bumper looking down at about 45 degrees, and one above the windshield for a wider view. The cameras all clip on or attach with magnets so they don't have to be on the Jeep all the time. I can move this camera system between Jeeps, these videos are all of my LJ (sorry about that :))

For external videos I use my Nikon DSLR on a tripod (or held by my copilot, depending on the situation). Here are a few videos, the first one is from the onboard system, I start out on the windshield camera but then I'm switching between side cameras depending on which side the obstacle or drop-off is on (a flick of the turn signal switches either the right or left camera to full screen so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel in a tight spot to change the camera view).

This next one was shot simultaneously with the video above and was done with my Nikon on a tripod.

In this next video I'm running split screen on a very tight shelf road to avoid the drop-off on one side and the vertical obstacle on the other side.