WARN JL Rubicon Winch Mount Plate and Zeon 10-S Install

CraigE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab JL
Had the same issue on my 2020 JL Rubicon with the Warn mount plate and the Warn Zeon 10s. There is not enough room for the driver side inner top bumper nut to start on the bump bolt. I also tried loosening everything and shifting it over with no luck. Something is just a bit off.

jeep winch.jpg
Thanks for your post RubiconToad. It makes me feel a little bit better to hear I'm not the only one. I haven't had a chance to modify my 18mm thin wall socket to give that a try but will post the result when I get to it. In the mean time I'm driving around with the winch bolted on with only 3 of the four structural mounts... which is not a good option.
Sponsored

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - Granite Crystal
Clubs

Thanks for your post RubiconToad. It makes me feel a little bit better to hear I'm not the only one. I haven't had a chance to modify my 18mm thin wall socket to give that a try but will post the result when I get to it. In the mean time I'm driving around with the winch bolted on with only 3 of the four structural mounts... which is not a good option.
Update: When I installed the winch plate, I did not realize that the 2 small tack welded nuts on each of the frame rail brackets were actually limiting the "slop" in the new winch bracket setup. One nut on each side was interfering. I read about these extra nuts on this forum.
I loosened up all the plate and bumper bolts, knocked the welded nuts off the brackets, and was able to then shift the winch and plate to the passenger side. Walllaaaa! The winch is now centered and that last bumper bolt nut, top inner driver side, went right on. Was able to tighten it from the top with a regular deep socket.

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Update: When I installed the winch plate, I did not realize that the 2 small tack welded nuts on each of the frame rail brackets were actually limiting the "slop" in the new winch bracket setup. One nut on each side was interfering. I read about these extra nuts on this forum.
I loosened up all the plate and bumper bolts, knocked the welded nuts off the brackets, and was able to then shift the winch and plate to the passenger side. Walllaaaa! The winch is now centered and that last bumper bolt nut, top inner driver side, went right on. Was able to tighten it from the top with a regular deep socket.
Trimmed the filler piece using a template from the back of the winch. Looks finished now with the frame rails covered.

3EDD0EFF-FC6C-4301-AAF3-29EF86DFC8A2.jpeg

DEE2A17B-9857-49E1-9573-E1D144384BDF.jpeg

ViperMadMax

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2014 Durango RT, 2003 PT Cruzer, 1998 Viper GTS.
I am looking at installing a Roadmaster baseplate to tow with an RV. They have these instructions shown on their website for a JL Rubicon. In anyone’s opinion, can you also install this winch plate/ and winch? Does anyone have an opinion?
I also have the Roadmaster baseplate to flat tow my Jeep. Has anyone determined if this winch plate install is compatible with the Roadmaster baseplate?
Thanks!

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White JLUR
Occupation
On set medic
Here's an install article from Tech Tim that we just posted up on our Northridge Nation blog site, figured we'd share it here.

After-sml.jpg

Easy Winch Install for your JL/JLU Rubicon
So you popped the big bucks and ordered up a new JL or JLU Rubicon Wrangler and now it’s time to start getting it ready for some fun off-road, what do you do first? Many believe that one of your first mods should be to get a winch installed. If you ordered the Steel Bumper Option Group with your Rubicon, it is fairly simple to make happen, you’ll just need a winch and a winch mounting plate.

Enter the WARN winch mount kit for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon (WARN pn# 101255). This kit bolts in-between the frame rails, accepts up to a 12,000 winch and is pretty easy to install. Some of the parts can be heavy and awkward to lift and hold in place while bolting it up, so it is recommended to have another person help with the install.

For the winch, we chose the WARN Zeon 10-S winch, with 10,000 lbs of pulling capacity and 100′ of 3/8″ WARN Spydura winch rope, the Zeon 10-S is a work horse winch designed for long life in hostile environments.

For those wanting to run a different winch, the WARN JL winch mounting plate does use the industry standard 10″ x 4.5″ winch bolt pattern, just check with your supplier for any possible fitment issues with your chosen winch.

Where to get this Product:
WARN JL OE Rubicon Winch Plate
WARN Zeon 10-S

Other optional products used for this installation:
Maximus 3 Glide red fairlead
Factor 55 Flatlink E

Benefits:
Enables you to bolt a winch into your OE JL/JU Rubicon front bumper.

Ease of installation:
2 Wrenches out of 5

ToolsNeeded.jpg
Tools Needed:
Small flat blade screwdriver
12mm, 13mm, 17mm sockets
18mm deep socket
Ratchet, extensions, wobbly
13mm wrench
T45 Torx bit

Extras:
Blue Loctite (or similar medium strength thread lock) for extra insurance on all threaded fasteners.

What comes in the box:
Kit-sml.jpg

The HOW-TO:

Remove-Clip.jpg Clip.jpg

Start by removing the retaining clips holding the plastic filler plate between the grille and the front bumper. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry up the center locking pin and then pull the whole clip up and out of the hole. The filler piece then lifts up and off the frame rails.

Wiring-Plug.jpg

Disconnect the wiring plug located on the passenger frame rail just behind the bumper. Slide a small flat blade screwdriver in through the backside of the plug, push the latch down and wiggle the bumper-side plug out from the frame-side plug.

Splash-Pan.jpg

Using a 13mm socket, remove the seven bolts (circled in red) holding the OE front skid plate in place and set it aside.

Bumper-bolts.jpg

Use a 18mm deep socket to remove the eight nuts holding the Rubicon bumper to the frame rails, there are two on each side of both the left and right frame rail ends. The left hand side outer bolts are circled in red.

Remove-Bumper.jpg

Remove the bumper from the front of the JL and set it on a stable surface to work on.

Cover-Plate.jpg Remove-Cover.jpg

Use a T45 Torx bit to remove the five bolts (circled in red) holding the cover plate to the JL Rubicon winch bumper.

Torx-nut-sml.jpg Cosmetic.jpg

For cosmetic purposes, reinstall the T45 bolts back into their respective places using a 13mm the supplied M8 x 1.25mm hex nuts and tighten.

Lisc-Plate-Cover.jpg

Remove the front license plate base by unclipping and pushing the six retaining clips forward.

Wire-Harness.jpg

Pull the clips holding the fog lamp wiring harness from the back face of the bumper. You can use a small screwdriver or clip puller tool like the one pictured.

Skid-Brackets.jpg

Remove the four 17mm bolts holding the skid plate mounting brackets (two on each frame rail). Keep the bolts and brackets handy, they will be used in the next step.

Plate-Brkt.jpg

Install the WARN winch plate brackets over the top of the skid plate brackets on both the right and left frame rails using the OE hardware from the previous step. Use a little blue Loctite on the threads for extra security.
DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLTS AT THIS TIME, LEAVE THEM A LITTLE LOOSE.

Winch-plate.jpg

Install the WARN winch plate between the frame rails and bolt it up to the WARN winch plate brackets using the included M10x1.5 carriage bolts and hex nuts. Use a little blue Loctite on the threads for extra security.
DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLTS AT THIS TIME, LEAVE THEM A LITTLE LOOSE.

Zip-tie.jpg

Hold the winch plate up so the mounting holes of the winch plate align with the mounting holes on the bumper mounting plates and slowly tighten the zip ties. These zip ties will help hold the winch plate in place while installing the Rubicon bumper back in place.

Align-holes.jpg

Set the winch down into the winch plate. It is a tight fit, we found it worked best to slide one end in to the winch plate first. Make sure to route your winch rope (or cable) through the fairlead hole on the winch plate.

Check the winch plate mounting hole alignment and retighten the zip ties if needed to keep the holes lined up.

Set-winch.jpg

Set the winch down into the winch plate. It is a tight fit, we found it worked best to slide one end in to the winch plate first. Make sure to route your winch rope (or cable) through the fairlead hole on the winch plate.

Check the winch plate mounting hole alignment and retighten the zip ties if needed to keep the holes lined up.

Spacer.jpg

Install the winch plate spacers onto the outer sets of frame mounting studs on the Rubicon bumper.

Replace-Bumper.jpg

Thread the winch rope through the fairlead hole and reinstall the OE Rubicon bumper onto the front of the frame rails. You may need to wiggle and push the bumper a bit to get it to slide all the way in.

Bumper-nuts.jpg

Using the 18mm deep socket, reinstall the eight nuts securing the bumper to the frame rail. The outer two nuts on each frame rails are easy to get to, but it is quite tight to get to the inner nuts. We found it easiest to get the top inner nuts from the top side of the bumper and the bottom inner nuts from underneath the vehicle. A wobbly and an extension or two will help you get to them a little easier. Use a dab of blue Loctite on each stud and torque the nuts down tight.

Snug-Bolts.jpg

With the eight main bumper nuts installed and torqued down, it is time to tighten the winch plate bracket mounting bolts, four on the right hand side (circled in red) and four on the left hand side.

Route-Cable.jpg

Route the winch power and ground cables up into the engine compartment. We routed ours up between the battery box and the air filter box. Use zip ties to secure the winch power and ground cables.

Pos-Cable.jpg

We used a 13mm socket to remove the nut and then connected the winch power cable to the main stud on the positive lead of the battery.

Neg-Cable.jpg

We then used a 13mm wrench and connected the winch ground cable to the main ground stud on the battery terminal.

Fairlead.jpg

Install the WARN filler plate (red arrow) along with the fairlead and mounting bolts and tighten fully. We used a red Maximus 3 Glide fairlead* to color match the Firecracker Red paint on our JLU Rubicon.
*WARN does include an aluminum fairlead with their Zeon 10-S winch, but we really wanted the color matching red fairlead for looks.

Plug-in-winch.jpg

Plug in the winch controller. On the ZEON winch it is located on the side of the winch control box under a rubber protective cover.

Winch-in.jpg

Use the controller to spool in the winch rope. Go slow and wind the rope in as evenly as you can. We used a Factor55 Flatlink E* for the rope end. The Flatlink shackle mount stores flat up against the fairlead for a cleaner look and more protection for your expensive winch rope.
*WARN does include a traditional style hook with the Zeon 10-S.

For a closer look at the Factor 55 Flatlink E shackle mount, check out our DIY installation article here.

TO FINISH THE INSTALL:
  • Go over all mounting bolts to make sure they are tight.
  • Install license plate to the flange on the fairlead filler plate.
  • Secure the fog light harness to the winch plate using the OE Christmas tree clips.
  • Reinstall the factory skid plate using the factory hardware.
  • Reconnect the plug for the factory fog lights.

Once finished, you can step back and admire the finished product.

After-sml.jpg

The WARN Zeon 10-S winch fits perfectly in the OE Rubicon bumper and the red Maximus 3 Glide fairlead matches both the OE tow hooks and the JL’s Firecracker Red paint. The grey Factor55 Flatlink E fits tight up against the fairlead and the grey color even compliments the overall color scheme.

Now it’s time to plan out the next wheeling trip, maybe one pushing the limits a little, after all we do want to give the new winch a try.

To see the tech article on our blog, visit: http://www.northridgenation.com/warn-jl-rubicon-winch-mount/
This is awesome - thank you!
Do you think it would be similar install using the same Warn xenon but with an ARB Bondi bumper?

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
This is awesome - thank you!
Do you think it would be similar install using the same Warn xenon but with an ARB Bondi bumper?
Thanks for the props...

Hard to say when we might do a Bondi install, depends on what comes through the shop.

FYI- We've moved away from the write-ups and have gone to video: www.youtube.com/northridgenation.

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
What is the purpose of the tack welded nuts? Everyone seems to be removing them. Also, out of the four nuts, are you just removing the two that interfere, or all four? If just two, are they the inner two, or the outer two?

Thanks!

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

What is the purpose of the tack welded nuts? Everyone seems to be removing them. Also, out of the four nuts, are you just removing the two that interfere, or all four? If just two, are they the inner two, or the outer two?

Thanks!
I think they have something to do with a plastic skid plate? Mine came with steel bumper and plate. I knocked all four off, don't recall which ones actually interfered.

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
-the hardware for the fairlead was just too short. Had to do a last minute scurry around stores to find bolts that would fit, winded up going with 12x1.5 40, I want to replace them with black hardware so I'll be going to ACE tomorrow to get black 12x1.75 50(as is the original hardware specs, just longer)
Where are you guys finding the M12x1.75x50 bolts locally? My local Home Depot did not carry anything in that size, despite it being mentioned in this thread. They do have M12x1.75x45, so I am going to pick up a couple of those for the time being.

Last edited:

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Where are you guys finding the M12x1.75x50 bolts locally? My local Home Depot did not carry anything in that size, despite it being mentioned in this thread. They do have M12x1.75x40, so I am going to pick up a couple of those for the time being.
Yeah....I'd make HD your last stop for fasteners. Ever. If you have a local Ace hardware that's usually a better bet.

THE BEST is a dedicated fastener house, but only larger areas will have one. Fastenal tries to be a corporate, nationwide fastener house but mostly fails.

You can often find a pack of 12 to 50 of a given fastener on Amazon (graded, too) for the cost of a couple at HD or Ace

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Yeah....I'd make HD your last stop for fasteners. Ever. If you have a local Ace hardware that's usually a better bet.

THE BEST is a dedicated fastener house, but only larger areas will have one. Fastenal tries to be a corporate, nationwide fastener house but mostly fails.

You can often find a pack of 12 to 50 of a given fastener on Amazon (graded, too) for the cost of a couple at HD or Ace
I grabbed the M12x1.75 x 45mm bolts from Home Depot, but they don't thread into the Warn cap nuts properly. One or two, then it binds. They're slightly thicker than the original Warn bolts.

Went back to Home Depot, and brought the original Warn bolts and nuts with me. The 7/16"-14 bolts threaded perfectly. I'm not sure but it may be due to getting the fairlead bolts separately with the Warn 100333 fairlead. Anyway, I should be in good shape, but now might have bolts that are too long (2.5" vs 50mm / 2"). I'll mock it up and see what it looks like.

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
We just did this again! Today was the day to put the winch on my replacement Jeep. It still is quite a pita, but easier this time around.

Here are some things we did (in addition to the great tips in this thread). Painter's tape is our friend :):
- tape off the bottom of the grille to protect it (yeah she's dirty and that was AFTER pressure washing this morning—I need to get a brush).
IMG_1631-X3.jpg

When attaching the winch to the plate (we used the Warn plate), only finger tighten the bolts. We even only put the front two on. This allowed us to wiggle the winch to better reach those damn inner bumper bolts. That *really* helped. The front bolts are hidden by the bumper, so my hubby used a ratcheting wrench to tighten—worked great.

Another use for painter's tape...I put a bit on to hold the nuts in the winch (for the above-mentioned bolts) so they wouldn't come out. Lesson learned the first time! Pic is worth a thousand words:
IMG_1637-X3.jpg

We found that a deep 18mm socket was ideal for the inner bolts. We used the â…ś" wrench because the wall of the socket was thinner, which helped a lot. The wobbly helped as well.

One last use for my new best friend, painter's tape: I used a small piece to keep the nut in the socket. Then I'd put the socket onto the bolt and turn it to start the nut. Then put the wrench to the socket and finish.
IMG_1633-X3.jpg

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
Thought I would share my solution to the difficult to reach driver side/inside frame rail bumper bolts. I really struggled getting a wrench in there, the Zeon winch is a beast, so I ended up getting a metal hole saw and cutting to inspection holes in the underside of the bumper. With inspection holes you can get to all 4 winch mounting bolts, with them out the Zeon will slide back and fort 3/4 of an inch or so which makes a world of difference. Once I had my bumper tightened up, I installed the winch mounting bolts and lower skid plate.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 10.11.36 PM.png

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
We just did this again! Today was the day to put the winch on my replacement Jeep. It still is quite a pita, but easier this time around.

Here are some things we did (in addition to the great tips in this thread). Painter's tape is our friend :):
- tape off the bottom of the grille to protect it (yeah she's dirty and that was AFTER pressure washing this morning—I need to get a brush).
IMG_1631-X3.jpg

When attaching the winch to the plate (we used the Warn plate), only finger tighten the bolts. We even only put the front two on. This allowed us to wiggle the winch to better reach those damn inner bumper bolts. That *really* helped. The front bolts are hidden by the bumper, so my hubby used a ratcheting wrench to tighten—worked great.

Another use for painter's tape...I put a bit on to hold the nuts in the winch (for the above-mentioned bolts) so they wouldn't come out. Lesson learned the first time! Pic is worth a thousand words:
IMG_1637-X3.jpg

We found that a deep 18mm socket was ideal for the inner bolts. We used the â…ś" wrench because the wall of the socket was thinner, which helped a lot. The wobbly helped as well.

One last use for my new best friend, painter's tape: I used a small piece to keep the nut in the socket. Then I'd put the socket onto the bolt and turn it to start the nut. Then put the wrench to the socket and finish.
IMG_1633-X3.jpg
Looking very forward to see the completed project photos! Nice job you two tackled ;)
Sponsored