JL Rubicon caster measure

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
So I’m getting 2 very different numbers between going from the flat circles on the pumpkin vs the flat area on the knuckle. Can someone explain which area is the correct one to get a solid “home” read on caster? Thanks in advance!!
In this scenario is your caster 1, 6, or 7?
1 deg at the diff would be roughly 5 deg of caster. One of those measurements is off or the 1 deg at the diff is actually -1.

The problem I found when I did my lower control arms is that the measurement at the ball joints can vary significantly with how you place your angle finder. It's a compound angle and even the slightest turn of the gauge will throw off the measurements. I got the diff measurement at 0 deg and called it a day.
Sponsored

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
I think 7, but unless i pay to have it aligned i wouldn't know for sure. Speaking to Tim's post I'm measuring 1 degree tilted back at the holes, wheter you call tha 1 or -1 i'm not too sure but I think it's really -1 and -7, but people always talk about caster as if it's positive or "more" when it's technically a negative number.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Has anybody tried different fine tuned amounts of caster? I'm a little over 6 degrees and I get some steering wobble on bumps going about 40mph. I also had this 40mph steering wobble with another setup without lower control arms and I'd guess I was at about 4 or so then I didn't actually measure it. I want to try about 5.5 degrees and see what I get from that. Considering I had the wobble with two different setups I'm thinking it may also have other factors.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody tried different fine tuned amounts of caster? I'm a little over 6 degrees and I get some steering wobble on bumps going about 40mph. I also had this 40mph steering wobble with another setup without lower control arms and I'd guess I was at about 4 or so then I didn't actually measure it. I want to try about 5.5 degrees and see what I get from that. Considering I had the wobble with two different setups I'm thinking it may also have other factors.
How high is your lift?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I definitely would not go down in caster. Some folks have said that they are running 7 to get the steering to act like it should.

Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
How high is your lift?
First setup was rubicon springs with teraflex 1.5” spacers. I never had a problem till I had to leave for work for 6 months. I can back and had a bit of a wobble at 40mph with that setup. Now I’m at 3.5” with the rock krawler springs. I got the max travel and everything is aligned and in spec, other that the caster being just over 6.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I definitely would not go down in caster. Some folks have said that they are running 7 to get the steering to act like it should.
Wow that’s a lot! Maybe I should try a few turns out on the control arms

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have JLUR with AEV 2” spacer lift and Teraflex Sport LCA’s. 35X12.50X17 KO2’s at 29 PSI. Using the $5 angle I’m getting what looks like 2.5 at the pumpkin & 9.5 on the knuckle. Is my caster 7 (still can’t figure out this simple equation)!? It drives better now than it ever has. Specifically the steering “tracks” firmer especially noticeable during higher speeds. Here is a pic of stock LCA’s & Teraflex Sport.

A881B1F5-4FFB-438C-ABA2-F3CC6E08B9E0.jpeg

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have JLUR with AEV 2” spacer lift and Teraflex Sport LCA’s. 35X12.50X17 KO2’s at 29 PSI. Using the $5 angle I’m getting what looks like 2.5 at the pumpkin & 9.5 on the knuckle. Is my caster 7 (still can’t figure out this simple equation)!? It drives better now than it ever has. Specifically the steering “tracks” firmer especially noticeable during higher speeds. Here is a pic of stock LCA’s & Teraflex Sport.

A881B1F5-4FFB-438C-ABA2-F3CC6E08B9E0.jpeg
7DF6717F-6CB9-4D09-9758-E643738E8AB9.jpeg

FEA84848-2848-45B5-92BA-5B8F17BB2024.jpeg

BC5C9172-7796-485D-ABB0-DFE2A83AC5E2.jpeg

DFFEB695-A922-49FB-A4CB-03DAD898FB0C.jpeg

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
How level is your garage floor? I’d imagine the measurements where you know you have a flat spot on the diff would be the most accurate.

Sponsored

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How level is your garage floor? I’d imagine the measurements where you know you have a flat spot on the diff would be the most accurate.
Garage floor is measuring flat. Based on my measurements can someone provide my caster? Set the angle finder on the pumpkin flat circles and bottom flat side of knuckle as the pics show.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
It looks like it's reading 8.5 at the knuckle and about 2.5 at the pumpkin (which is angled at 6). So it's consistent between the knuckle and pumpkin. If the floor is flat, you're about 8.5 degrees caster.

Those lower arms may be meant for higher front lifts.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like it's reading 8.5 at the knuckle and about 2.5 at the pumpkin (which is angled at 6). So it's consistent between the knuckle and pumpkin. If the floor is flat, you're about 8.5 degrees caster.

Those lower arms may be meant for higher front lifts.
Thanks for the feedback. So you are saying the angle on my knuckle = caster.

Teraflex says the Sport LCA’s are for 1.5 to 3.5” of lift so I figured I’d be good with 2”. All being said, it’s steering tighter than it ever has.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback. So you are saying the angle on my knuckle = caster.

Teraflex says the Sport LCA’s are for 1.5 to 3.5” of lift so I figured I’d be good with 2”. All being said, it’s steering tighter than it ever has.
2” lift on top of the stock Rubicon suspension....

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the complete TeraFlex 2.5" sport lift with those arms this weekend I am going to check again to refresh my memory but the numbers at the time seemed high to me.
Level on my floor was 2 degrees of slope so I subtracted that from the reading I got at the pumpkin and knuckle.
If I remember right the pumpkin would have been at like 2 and the knuckle would have been 7.

I took it out on a drive after I was done with the install and it drove so much better than stock and steering was so good I ignored the numbers.
Sponsored