Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Michael, I have a 2020 Rubicon JLU with the Alpine sound system that does thrill me sound wise.

What would you recommend for different speakers without going through a lot of hassle and expense?

If I only need to change a certain few and not all of the speakers, that would be perfect.

Thanks
Hey Don, it really depends on what you feel is lacking. If it's bass response that's lacking for you, adding a sub is a fairly easy, straight-forward option. If you just want a bit more fill, you can replace the stock tweeters in the front dash with either of the two options listed above (Kicker or Infinity). If it's overall power and depth of sound that you're missing, you'd really need to consider a full-blown option (Dual Amps, Sound Processor, Replacement Speakers, etc.).

I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions. Cheers!
Sponsored

Newdeal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Still confused. With the exception of the Alpine system upgrade, are all the other radios/speakers the same for all JL stock models and Uconnect systems?

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Still confused. With the exception of the Alpine system upgrade, are all the other radios/speakers the same for all JL stock models and Uconnect systems?
correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but the only difference between the stock system is bigger tweeters, an amp, and the sub. Iā€™m sure the 4ā€ speakers are the same between the 2 systems, to me meaning they can handle sins more power if crossed over properly. Iā€™m gonna add a 5 channel amp, 10ā€ sub in rear, and cross out the low bass from the stock speakers, hoping that does it

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
If you ask me the stock system is pretty shitty. I have it in my jl and my jk had the alpine. I want it out but itā€™s not my first priority. Possibly a speaker change. I work in audio and love good sound but for now Iā€™ll suffer. I canā€™t stand distortion and that what I get between half and three quarter volume. Yuck

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Btw JL AUDIO makes a nice kit for them and working on one for a two door. Not cheap but itā€™s what I want

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Btw JL AUDIO makes a nice kit for them and working on one for a two door. Not cheap but itā€™s what I want
I would love to see a company do a complete plug and play upgrade. I am handy but I am in no way a car audio guy and quite frankly these car audio people these days donā€™t know anything specific about a vehicle either unless the installer actually owns one.

To get a ā€œkitā€ that comes all ready to go, plays nice together with the head unit to include speakers, pods etc etc would be awesome. Then I would upgrade my system. These DIYers and the other thread on her with folks upgrading, drilling, trying things out then trying something else just hurts my head. I am not good enough to do all that. Give me a full plug and play upgrade from the Alpine system and I am in.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would love to see a company do a complete plug and play upgrade. I am handy but I am in no way a car audio guy and quite frankly these car audio people these days donā€™t know anything specific about a vehicle either unless the installer actually owns one.

To get a ā€œkitā€ that comes all ready to go, plays nice together with the head unit to include speakers, pods etc etc would be awesome. Then I would upgrade my system. These DIYers and the other thread on her with folks upgrading, drilling, trying things out then trying something else just hurts my head. I am not good enough to do all that. Give me a full plug and play upgrade from the Alpine system and I am in.
I agree the stock system is lacking, as I was used to the alpine in my JK. However they got pretty decent performance out of the small stock speakers, so Iā€™m betting giving them more clean power, crossing out the lows, and adding a good sub should get me where I want to go. Chasing pristine audio in a wrangler is an expensive endeavor

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl

Check out lite brite jl audio upgrade on YouTube. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s easy but from an audio video guy ..... if you want quality itā€™s the way I plan on going. But I really love loud CLEAR music. I am also a bit over the top. They sell an amp that mounts under the seat perfectly and a sub for a jl unlimited thatā€™s perfect fit. I know JL AUDIO is quality and Iā€™m sure itā€™s amazing. I havenā€™t heard it first hand but itā€™s not hard to beat this shit stock system. I can deal with the 5.1 Jeep radio if If whatbi hear is bliss. I also want the 3000$ alpine Jeep integrates head unit but I can wait on that until itā€™s a left over and much cheaper. I love my music

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
I agree the stock system is lacking, as I was used to the alpine in my JK. However they got pretty decent performance out of the small stock speakers, so Iā€™m betting giving them more clean power, crossing out the lows, and adding a good sub should get me where I want to go. Chasing pristine audio in a wrangler is an expensive endeavor
I loved my jk alpine man. I also miss my active mirrors but I love my winter package and a my jl in general. Especially my mopar lift and 35s. Give and take I guess but I will attend to the radio and mirrors as I will have this jl for a long time ....

Sponsored

CrimsonGhost138

First Name
Raffaele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler unlimited Sport
Hey guys I got a question. I have a ā€˜19 JLU Sport with the 7ā€. Iā€™m not looking to do anything crazy as the car is a lease, but would like to upgrade the audio a little. I have this power pack from my last car that I never got around to installing.https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KT...fj9IPT6CdQFgOEC_NdMV0l3VIs8LIWZcaArk2EALw_wcB I was thinking of using this to power the stock speakers and then installing my powered sub for a little extra bass. Can this be done relatively easy? Iā€™ve installed subs before so I kinda know what Iā€™m doing but definitely no pro.

Shotgecko

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door sport
Hey guys, new to car audio here but reading through here, it seemed like those kicker speakers were best to get the most out of the stock sound system. I was wondering if having the Insane Audio head unit would make a difference as it comes with a built in amplifier. With that would the recommendations for speakers change?

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m gonna put faith in the jeep engineers and trust the stock speakers and enclosure were made to perform best together and go ahead and use a 5ch amp to stockers and a 10ā€ down firing sub in rear

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m gonna put faith in the jeep engineers and trust the stock speakers and enclosure were made to perform best together and go ahead and use a 5ch amp to stockers and a 10ā€ down firing sub in rear

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited sport s
I upgraded all my speakers to kicker ds series except for the knee speakers. I used 300hz bass blockers on all the new speakers and ran the sound bar speakers in series to make up for the ohm drop caused by using 4 ohm speakers instead of the stock 8 ohm speakers. I then put a Kicker compact subwoofer in the rear storage bin. The subwoofer has a bass level control wired up to the space below the power windowswitches in the dash. it sounds alot better than thestock system and gives me good sound all around
Sponsored