Sponsored

References on Custom Jeep Shop in Baltimore, MD area?

gidi082

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Hi All,

I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon. Had it for a year and half now. Absolutely love it. Have about 16000 miles on it currently. All Stock so far and I am think I am finally ready to put n some big tires and lift kit. This is my first Jeep and I bought it from Heritage Jeep in Owings Mills, MD. Really excited to get bigger tires and a lift kit but I am new to all this so looking for some help here

Looking for advise on the below-

1) Good and reliable custom Jeep shop in the Baltimore, MD and/ surrounding areas I can trust and get my work done or do I just go to the dealer and get a quote?

2) I am specifically looking at 37's or 40's. This is my daily driver and I love the way it handles and drives with the stock set up, so although I am looking at bigger tires I want it to still handle and drive like stock. Right now I go 80mph and it drives like a dream. With that I mind-

- I stick with AT instead or MT's? I do not go crazy off-roading and my Jeep will spend 80% on dry payment/ highway driving, but I want an aggressive look!
- Do I go with 37's or 40's? I love the look of the 40's, but I believe with Rubicon can handle 37's as is with only a lift kit and for 40's I would need to change a bunch of factory stuff since it may not be built to handle 40's stock? Not to mention it may get expensive as well

Any and all advise and feedback would be appreciated!

Regards!
Sponsored

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Hi All,

I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon. Had it for a year and half now. Absolutely love it. Have about 16000 miles on it currently. All Stock so far and I am think I am finally ready to put n some big tires and lift kit. This is my first Jeep and I bought it from Heritage Jeep in Owings Mills, MD. Really excited to get bigger tires and a lift kit but I am new to all this so looking for some help here

Looking for advise on the below-

1) Good and reliable custom Jeep shop in the Baltimore, MD and/ surrounding areas I can trust and get my work done or do I just go to the dealer and get a quote?

2) I am specifically looking at 37's or 40's. This is my daily driver and I love the way it handles and drives with the stock set up, so although I am looking at bigger tires I want it to still handle and drive like stock. Right now I go 80mph and it drives like a dream. With that I mind-

- I stick with AT instead or MT's? I do not go crazy off-roading and my Jeep will spend 80% on dry payment/ highway driving, but I want an aggressive look!
- Do I go with 37's or 40's? I love the look of the 40's, but I believe with Rubicon can handle 37's as is with only a lift kit and for 40's I would need to change a bunch of factory stuff since it may not be built to handle 40's stock? Not to mention it may get expensive as well

Any and all advise and feedback would be appreciated!

Regards!
I spoke with two shops locally, Joe's Jeep Jungle and World Tour Off Road, when I was looking to add a lift and tires. Both shops have different opinions on lift and tires. Joe's Jeep Jungle will suggest a Teraflex kit with Mopar springs and Pro Comp tires. World Tour's go to lift was AEV.

I liked Joe's because he provided thorough answers to questions and complete explanations of his reasons for not using other lifts. He also will allow you to drive the shop Jeep to see how it feels. He is focused on making sure the Jeep still rides well on the highway. I did take issue with a few of his suggestions because they did not agree with research I had done myself. My biggest issue was that he recommended a Teraflex tire carrier without any additional tailgate support to hold a 37 inch tire and wheel that was over the recommended 100lb limit set by Teraflex by approx 10lbs.

World Tour Offroad was helpful and accommodating but I did not get a good feeling overall that they had worked on many JLs. I believe there focus is also more on overlanding.

Another shop that I have heard recommended is RnR Offroad. I have not spoken to them myself though.

As far as tires, I believe 37s is as high as you want to go without other significant modifications. You can find the pros and cons by searching the forum. As for me, the gas mileage dropped about 3 mpg and there is an increase in road noise. It is not significant, but there is more. I went with the 37" Nitto Ridge grapplers and 2.5" lift. The on road driving is the same or better other than the increased noise. I have not had a chance to take it offroad since the upgrades.

Last edited:

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Check out RNR off road in Brooklyn Park as well. I’ve heard good things about World Tour and Joe’s. I’ve heard good things about Appalachian off road in Westminster too. Also, a bit further drive but Chaos Fab Shop in Winchester, VA - they do a lot of custom work (the owner, AK Whatey, won his episode of Truck Night in America last year with his hemi JK).

I’ve only actually been to RNR and found Rick to be a good dude (he fixed my broken body mount bolt).

Lastly, if you haven’t already, check out Chesapeake Jeep Club in Facebook - all those guys are on there.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Rick at R&R has my vote.

05A8A95D-31E8-4148-87E7-3D5C08ED6F50.png

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I had World Tour do a bunch of work on my JL: axle swap, gears, and control arms. They were great with great service. Paul is a stand up guy who wheels aggressively himself and knows his stuff, but will also listen to what you want.
As for service, I needed a new front driveshaft with my PR44 and the first time it had a vibration at speed. Initially the DS company pushed back on the need to fix, but Paul pushed them and they rebalanced it. Works like a charm and all covered without extra cost.

He is learning about JLs like we all are, but he’s open about that and sticks to his promises. He certainly has earned my business.
Sponsored