Sponsored

Why are so many Tazers for sale?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
What issues? I have had mine since I first got my Jeep in 18. No issues, occasionally I do the updates but it works like planned. Super easy to install and remove and reinstall. No complaints here.
Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Who said anyone should get something for free? Literally no one, thats who.
When I buy a tool, it is reasonable to lend it to my buddy so we can correct his tire size, since I already paid the 400 bucks. I guess some are more the type to tell their buddies to piss off and go buy their own tools so they are not using something for free. The tazer is a tool, not a service. To each his own I guess.
any programmer is quite a bit more than just a wrench. The manufacturer is assuming quite a bit of legal liability when selling that ā€˜toolā€™. A liability they must cover both for those who bought this tool and if following your thoughts, for those buddies who got free use of said tool.
I can certainly see why said tool would be locked to one vehicle. Why should the manufacturer have to cover a potential liability to an unpaid customer.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
All moral and legal questions aside, the simplest reason a Tazer, or any other programmer is VIN-locked is because they can.

If manufacturers could figure out how to VIN-lock a screw driver, they would.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I did my research..waited until I had an extra $219 to blow and bought the Tazer Lite as its only $219. Best $219 I spent on the jeep as the Tazer Lite simply resolves/adjust the items that really bothered me. I am sure others have done the same. Now if I also owned a second jeep(say my wife) and the same items bothered her... we would purchase another the same way. Best regards.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
any programmer is quite a bit more than just a wrench. The manufacturer is assuming quite a bit of legal liability when selling that ā€˜toolā€™. A liability they must cover both for those who bought this tool and if following your thoughts, for those buddies who got free use of said tool.
I can certainly see why said tool would be locked to one vehicle. Why should the manufacturer have to cover a potential liability to an unpaid customer.
That is not true. Directly from their website...
Z Automotive cannot be held responsible misuse or consequential damages. If you are in doubt, [email protected]. Please be aware that modifying your vehicle in any way can affect your vehicleā€™s warranty, longevity, handling, etc. Please use with caution, and AT YOUR OWN RISK. USING THE LIGHT SHOW FEATURE ON PUBLIC ROADS, IMPERSONATING A POLICE OFFICER IS A FELONY. LIGHT SHOW IS INTENDED FOR CAR SHOW/TRACK/OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Z Automotive is in no way affiliated with FCA.

I'd also point out that it has not gone through the FCC part 15b DoC procedure, which is technically requirement. It is a slightly gray area though because it can be considered automotive which is exempted from part 15b. But, because you connect it to a PC to update the FW, it is required.
In the US that testing is like 10k. Only like 2k in Europe for the same FCC test amazingly. Not sure why it's so much in the US labs, the test is only like 4 hours long.

Don't get me wrong guys. I think it's great that this guy is making this thing. I think people should support his work and buy the product if they can afford it and it suits their needs. If I get a front camera, I also plan to buy one myself.
I am simply pointing out that this is a tool, nothing more. If my buddy down the road, or even someone on this forum close by swapped out his tires for larger ones, I would be inclined to help them out if I was able. It seems reasonable to be to use my 450$ tool to pop over and make a quick change for them rather than telling them to f-off and buy their own tool or to give the stealer a hundred bucks to do it.

Just because something has software, does not make it harder or more expensive to design than any other tool. But yes, we are lucky that others have the knowledge and drive to make these type of products. I just wish it was less restrictive. At least for the really simple things it can do.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
For me and my Tazer I had zero issues and I was onboard early with one like within the first few months of them being released for the JL

Fast forward a few years the Tazer died but I had the extended warranty and go it replaced but it had been out for a while and I never honestly missed is so I sold it off, the only part of the Tazer I ever used was ESS ( now replaced with the Smart stop/start and then TPMS limits and tire size but I still at present donā€™t miss it as I never used a lot of the features

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
$100+ to change each function at the dealer (for each jeep) or pay $215 to change a bunch of features on one jeep.

Would you invest in development of anything that can easily be "shared", eliminating customers and providing comercial users with a way to charge others using your tool priced for the end user only? No other tuners work without being locked, get over it and stop expecting people that invest and build something to give it away for free because others (who own $40k+ vehicles) "can't afford it"

Don't like it, design your own and sell it however you want to.

JL4ROKS

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Oh, that's pretty crappy.
I remember having to pay a similar price for a VCDS cable for VW/Audio products. You could make loads and loads of changes and perform complex diagnostics as well.
The forums always had lists of folks who had the cables and were willing to meet up with other members to "pimp" their CAN-BUS as well. While it is nice that someone is developing for Jeep products, it is a pity that it is done in such a locked down way that folks are not even able to help each other.
The people who have a spare 400 bucks would buy one either way, but those who cannot afford it were never going to be a customer anyhow. So, pretty anti-customer in my opinion. I know some people on this forum are hard-core fans and take offense to anyone who says anything bad about tazers...so you are free to disagree. It's just my opinion after all.
You are implying that you should not have to pay from someones work product. My harley tuner and my SCT on my Superduty are both married to the vehicle. Now I know there are only about 3 paid NETFLIX accounts in the world and everyone shares those but for a small market company this is the only way to get paid for your work.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
In the U.S., you get 5 years free weather from Sirius/XM if you have the 8.4ā€ Uconnect with NAV. One of the features is to pop up severe weather alerts on the radio screen. Theyā€™re wildly inaccurate in terms of location. Iā€™ll get constant alerts for ā€œwind advisoryā€ and ā€œflood advisoryā€ for cities that are 300 miles away. The only way to disable this is via Tazer.
And SECOND PLACE is 10 years of useless "Free" weather....

nh4x4jeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Re: hardware hacks to software fixes
In the spirit of this conversation...
Look at where we are going to be in a few short years:
https://hackaday.com/tag/john-deere/
What will happen when Jeep applys DCMA to it's products and requires you to use Jeep Mechanic to do ANY work on your vehicle, which requires Jeep brand parts?

I don't think there is a clear-cut answer....
But, I AM sure that this rabbit hole goes pretty deep!

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The logic is flawed.
Once again, I'm surprised this even needs to be said. But I'll say it anyways.
So just your wife? What about your neighbor? Or maybe their friends, what about their wives?
Who is keeping track? who's drawing the lines?
You call out flawed logic with a slippery slope fallacy.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
It is married it to a vehicle so they can make more money. I'm not going to condemn them for that since they are in the business to make money, but I'm also not going to defend it.

I'll let my priorities and my wallet decide if I want to support it.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I have no problem with the pricing model. But it would be great if I could have paid some additional amount (50, 75% of full price?) to be able to use my Tazer on mine and my wife's jeep. Then I could at least change tire size on both and save a little bit.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Not sure. I just installed the Tazer Lite version on my JL. It took care of the 3 main items that bothered me.

-Auto start/stop.. remember last setting.
-Tpms alert for psi below 37psi... I run 37ā€™s at 30psi-reset min to 25psi no more alert.
-Speedometer was off due to 37ā€™ tires...adjusted and spot on now.
This. Exact same thing for me. No plans to update it or do anything else with it. Set it and forget it. I have no issues. If I regear later in the year, I'll use it for that too, but otherwise thats it.
Sponsored