Sponsored

Tires extending fenders (in BC) not allowed??!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
So I keep hearing that I could get a ticket for having my tires extend the fender. Does anyone know if this is true?? I keep getting put on hold (or sent to voicemail) when I phone to inquire. (I'm still trying though. Will update if I can ever get through to someone who can give me a solid answer.)
Sponsored

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I now I can in Manitoba, and from what I've heard, BC's laws are tighter.

Mitch F4C3

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
So I keep hearing that I could get a ticket for having my tires extend the fender. Does anyone know if this is true?? I keep getting put on hold (or sent to voicemail) when I phone to inquire. (I'm still trying though. Will update if I can ever get through to someone who can give me a solid answer.)
it is illegal, as for getting a ticket that heavily depends on where you live. I live far north and I see guys rolling around on tires that are past the fenders by at least 2in and they never get tickets. But I hear about people down south and in the okanagan getting tickets for very minimal tire poke. If you have mudflaps that cover the tire you’re fine. And it also has to be tread poking out not just sidewall. If you run 35s and are okay with not having true 35s 285/75/18 is just barely legal with tire poke.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
it is illegal, as for getting a ticket that heavily depends on where you live. I live far north and I see guys rolling around on tires that are past the fenders by at least 2in and they never get tickets. But I hear about people down south and in the okanagan getting tickets for very minimal tire poke. If you have mudflaps that cover the tire you’re fine. And it also has to be tread poking out not just sidewall. If you run 35s and are okay with not having true 35s 285/75/18 is just barely legal with tire poke.
Thanks!! I couldn't get ANY answers in PG, but I see it all the time. I even left two messages at the local RCMP office, but I did find a fellow jeeper lady who works for the RCMP and her tires extend past. She laughed and said they'll ticket her before they ticket me. lol So that's something to note... lol I didn't consider when I drive down south though. I have family there, so I could be there a lot. I'd better fix them, I guess.

Thanks, Mitch!

Mitch F4C3

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
N
Thanks!! I couldn't get ANY answers in PG, but I see it all the time. I even left two messages at the local RCMP office, but I did find a fellow jeeper lady who works for the RCMP and her tires extend past. She laughed and said they'll ticket her before they ticket me. lol So that's something to note... lol I didn't consider when I drive down south though. I have family there, so I could be there a lot. I'd better fix them, I guess.

Thanks, Mitch!
No problem! I’ve found it’s really hard to get callbacks and straight answers from the RCMP about stuff involving vehicle modifications. If you have any more questions about the laws for modding in bc feel free to send ask away. And if you ever find yourself a little closer to kitimat hit me up and I can show you some local trails!

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Thanks, Mitch!
Yep, it is actually illegal according to BC traffic regulations.
But whether a cop will pull you over for it is extremely unlikely.
Unless of course you are breaking a slew of other traffic laws as well.
I know someone here who got ticketed for this, (and about 10 other criterias that his vehicle failed to comply with). But that's because his Jeep looked like something out of a horror film.

Moral of the story, stay low-key and you won't have a problem.

Last edited:

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
You could find it in the traffic act for your province if you had the patience to google it. It is illegal in AB as well. They do enforce it one weekend per year. This is truck country and a lot of trucks roll around here like that with no mudflaps either.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Ugh, please don’t do this. It’s illegal for good reason. No one wants to be behind you kicking rocks at their windshield. If you put on wider wheels and tires, you should also put on wider fenders.

Yes, I know *lots* of people don’t care and even remove their fenders altogether. Eff those guys.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Ugh, please don’t do this. It’s illegal for good reason. No one wants to be behind you kicking rocks at their windshield. If you put on wider wheels and tires, you should also put on wider fenders.

Yes, I know *lots* of people don’t care and even remove their fenders altogether. Eff those guys.
I agree, but it was somewhat accidental. I told the tire shop I wanted them to extend just a hair (I didn't want them far inside the fender) but my husband ordered it up and once it was said and done it was a lot more than I had thought. We thought "Okay, no biggie... we'll get fender flare extenders" but the dollars just kept adding up. First the extenders, then the bump stop/camera/park sense problems. We went back yesterday and put a +18 on to see what it looks like, and it's perfect. The wall of the tire extends just enough, and the tread stays nice and far behind.

So, long story short, we're getting it fixed. Also mud flaps. LOL

I have to say though, I really, REALLY ended up liking the look. Like a lot. I'm super sad about it, but I do strongly agree. Keep them covered up!

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
More annoyingly, it's against the BC Motor Vehicle Act to drive your Jeep with the doors off.

MVAR Division 7.09 (1) outlines the standards for the safety and repair of vehicles. In the associated schedule to MVAR Division 7.09(1), section 11 states: “Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors. The doors with which a vehicle is equipped shall be in good working order, and any hinge, latch, or handle must not be missing, broken or inoperable.” In British Columbia all vehicles manufactured with doors as original equipment MUST have all doors properly attached and functioning as described above while operating on highway to be in compliance with MVAR Division 7.09 (1). CVSE has determined that ONLY the Jeep “CJ” model manufactured prior to 1986 may have been manufactured without doors as original equipment.

Sponsored

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
Yep, it is actually illegal according to BC traffic regulations.
But whether a cop will pull you over for it is extremely unlikely.
Unless of course you are breaking a slew of other traffic laws as well.
I know someone here who got ticked for this, (and about 10 other criterias that his vehicle failed to comply with). But that's because his Jeep looked like something out of a horror film.

Moral of the story, stay low-key and you won't have a problem.
Hi, I am a first time wrangler owner living in burnaby, BC.
As i am waiting for my new jeep to be delivered, I have already started looking for mods/upgrades.
I actually went to a big Youtuber garage down in Surrey and asked about the many potential "illegal" mods that could or would potentially give traffic regulation problems, and one of the issues is tire poke.

I have read many forums and got advices from different wheelers, saying it is illegal to have tire poke, or police would rarely issue tickets or etc...

But still, I am not able to find a law that clearly says, or suggest that it is illegal to drive a car/truck with tires protruding beyond the fenders (here in BC).

This a law (Motor Vehicle Act Regulations: section 25.20) that says if you were to modify your suspensions and lift your vehicles for more than 10 cm, you would need a new vehicle inspection. Otherwise, it is ok to lift within 10cm.

This is a law saying you cannot have your front bumper's width to exceed the the width of your vehicle, (Motor Vehicle Act Regulations: section 7 Schedule 12)

More importantly, my understanding is that having mudflaps or mudguards is more vital than having fenders..

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations: 7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Mudflaps — A vehicle must be equipped with mudflaps or mudguards as required by section 7.06 of the regulations, which shall not be damaged or worn to the extent they are not effective.

Unless, RCMP is suggesting that "fenders" are mudguards or mudflaps, then i say this tire poke regulation is just ambigiuous, or shall a lot of people say, "up to the officer", which i think is totally unacceptable.

Look at Alberta, Ontario, or Quebec, for example, they all explicitly gave guidelines.

Some many regulations... Anyway, i guess my solution is to just get fender extension for now, just to keep the cops away..

Authentic Mopar Xtreme Recon Fender Flare Extensions Set Of Four - JLRECONFLAREEXT | Mopar Online Parts

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations: 7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Mudflaps — A vehicle must be equipped with mudflaps or mudguards as required by section 7.06 of the regulations, which shall not be damaged or worn to the extent they are not effective.

Unless, RCMP is suggesting that "fenders" are mudguards or mudflaps, then i say this tire poke regulation is just ambigiuous, or shall a lot of people say, "up to the officer", which i think is totally unacceptable.
Yep, mud flaps, fenders, fender flares.. are all considered the same thing under this act. The tire must be completely covered in order to "minimize the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle " or must have substantially the same protection as stock.

But I wouldn't read too much into it, you likely won't ever get pulled over and fined for having tires extend beyond the fender, unless you are breaking 10 other rules at the same time..

The other person who I said got fined for his had skull&bones decor all over his Jeep, so he really had it coming..

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
dont drive like an ass and cops will leave you alone. If not then they nail you for every little thing.

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
I am about to lift my jeep jlur 4xe and get 17" wheels and tires.
I really like the look of some tire poke, maybe half an inch or something, but I was informed by my garage mechanic that because of where I live, (Burnaby, in the city), the cops would ticket me, even if I were to have huge mudflags (already installed) or with the factory XR recon fender flare extensions to cover the extra width (which I have already purchased, but uninstall yet).

My mechanic also told me he has a client who just got ticketed for the tire poke on his new stock 2022 jlur with the XR recon package. Stock!! If it was illegal, how could jeep sell XR recon package in BC?

This is making me sad and mad because it seems like regardless of how you would try to make it legal to drive in metro Vancouver, some government individuals would and could just never give a shit and target us.

The bigger problem is, should I just get 0 offset wheel to avoid potential problems or get the -12 offset for my dream built..

I have a Tuscadero, and I have yet seen another one on the road for the past 2 months... It is also my daily driver... Seriously, ever since I own this jeep I have been driving extra cautiously and slowly, because I know everyone would recognize me instantly if I were impolite.. hahaha

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

If you’re concerned, have a look at getting the XR fender extensions installed.
Sponsored