Best place to live?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
The population of Bellingham is only 90,000. Crime here is better than average; mostly petty crimes. We do have a homeless problem, kind of like most places these days, but it's nowhere near as bad as Everett, Seattle, Portland, etc. I live close to downtown, and we do have car prowls of unlocked vehicles; break-ins are rare. There really isn't what I'd call a bad part of town, though there are some less-desirable areas. Overall, my wife and I don't have a problem walking anywhere at night.

Pot is legal in Washington ... and I've never heard of any illegal grow operations in the mountains. We've never had any problems exploring back roads in the mountains -- anywhere in the state. During hunting season, you may encounter hunters, but that's about it.

RE animals in the mountains: There are rattlesnakes on the east side of the Cascades, but there are no venomous snakes on the west side. We definitely have mountain lions (a mountain biker was attacked and killed by a mountain lion near Seattle last year, but it's extremely rare) and black bears, plus a handful of Grizzlies in the far northeast corner. I've only encountered cat tracks a couple times, though we've come across bears many times (never had any problems). As long as you don't leave food in your vehicle, animals shouldn't bother it. I've never heard of bears breaking into vehicles in Washington like they do in California.

I've smelled skunks, but never come across one. Never seen a porcupine up here, either. Can't think of any other dangerous animals. On the upside, bald eagles are everywhere. I see them all the time, even from my back yard. Just watch your small dogs and cats, as they'll snatch them.

There is quite a bit of backcountry skiing around here. Some is easy to access, such as the out-of-bounds areas near the Mt. Baker Ski Area. Other areas are a bit tougher to get to, as you may have to hike in a ways and/or bushwhack a bit. It gets pretty remote pretty fast in the North Cascades. You also must be very knowledgeable about avalanches, have the proper equipment, yada yada. The North Cascades region (the National Park and the mountainous region around it) has 300 glaciers and it gets a crapload of snow. A portion of the North Cascades Highway (20) shuts down every winter because it has so many avalanches.

Dirt biking: Yes. There's TONS of it. Lots of forest roads across the state. Some stuff just a half hour or so from town. Maybe some better stuff a bit farther out. You'd love the Methow Valley area (Winthrop, WA), 3 hours east of B'ham (when Hwy 20 is open) ... or the Cle Elum to Ellensburg area (about 3 hours SE). Miles and miles and miles of dirt roads to explore.

If that's not enough, there's this 575-mile route through WA for Jeeps and dirt/adventure bikes:
https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/

RE fly fishing, I'm not an angler, but I know there's a ton of fishing in nearby lakes, rivers, and the sea. If it's trout you want, I've heard you may have to go to the east side, such as Yakima Valley, or maybe north into B.C. I could be wrong though. I just know I see a ton of people fishing along side countless roads in the mountains (Hwy 542, Hwy 2, Mtn Loop Hwy, etc.).
Thanks for the great info!
Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
If you can put up with some periodic rain, you might consider Bellingham, WA, which is 20 miles south of the US-Canada border (and about an hour south of Vancouver, BC), and 90 miles north of Seattle.
Here the problem... so areas are so beautiful but the low life and trash with crime are here as well... I live in western NC and it so beautiful here and so much trash and refrigerators all over the landscape. I call it white trash or trailer trash... Makes me sad.... We have a lot of meth and B&E but a great sheriff and crew who work hard to clean the place up..

So what is it that the low life want to trash natures beauty. .

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
LMAO..... been here for over 20 years. My college kid has no idea what real pizza is, and we spend weekends touring wineries. They’re never ending!
Funny! The first hot day after I bought my Jeep (well, the bank bought it for me) I took the top down and drove out to Shenandoah.....beautiful.

OP
OP
Rubidozer

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
oh I love it. Of course I meant “Border”. Thx for your response. I got a good chuckle out of it this morning. Happy jeeping!!!!
It’s nice to see a good response to my joking. Some get a little too serious over my wit. Thanks for keeping it light!

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sparks, Carson City, and Reno all are nice. You can even go into the mountains and look at Incline Village.

I’ve never noticed the legal prostitution and not even sure it exists in the Reno area. If it does, I’ve never noticed. Unless someone is trying to find it, I don’t think you have to worry about it.

I’ve never had to use it when I visited so can’t really comment. The RenOWN system seems pretty prevalent with many facilities. I’ve never heard anything negative from locals I’ve talked with when there.

I've lived in Reno for 23 years and it is a great place to live. Reno is surrounded by public land, so there is no shortage of off roading opportunities, whether you're into rocks, trails, high speed desert riding, etc. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains and have trails within .5 mile of my driveway. Plenty of areas for shooting too without having to go to an actual range. Tahoe is very close, as is the Rubicon Trail, Fordyce, etc.

There are numerous hiking and biking trails throughout the area. Plus a whitewater kayak park in the Truckee River in downtown Reno. Numerous ski resorts within 1-2 hour drive. Fishing is abundant in area rivers and lakes (Lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake are close). The hunting is pretty good too, lots of mule deer, turkey, antelope, and some elk (eastern part of state).

Northern Nevada gets all four seasons. The summer's are hot (90-105) but dry, spring is cool to cold, and fall is especially nice with temps typically in the 60-70 range into October and November. It can snow a lot, depending on how close to the mountains you live.

Healthcare is pretty good, never have had to wait too long for any kind of procedure. The area is growing fast though.....lots of companies and people moving there (especially from California). There are a lot of manufacturing and industry jobs there now (Tesla, Panasonic, Amazon, Apple, etc). The area is not as dependent on gambling as it once was, which is good!! However, the housing market is tight and very expensive (median home price is $390K). There's lots of home and apartments being built, but demand is outpacing supply.

Other than some street walkers (mostly at night in the downtown area and not very obvious), you won't see any prostitution. The county in which Reno is in (Washoe County) does not have legalized prostitution. You have to know where to find the brothels to even see them.

Nevada doesn't have a state income tax, but the DMV registration fees, gas tax, and sales tax are high. Property tax isn't as high as some areas, but more than most.

I am originally from the mid-west and would never move back. My whole family loves the Northern Nevada area as it offers everything we want either in the area or within a 4 hour drive.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Southwest Colorado is awesome. I live in Gunnison (beautiful summers, gnarly winters). Montrose is affordable, Durango is expensive.

Honestly the hidden gem of Colorado is Buena Vista and Salida. Moderate winters, beautiful summers. Not too crowded yet. Short drive to Denver. Far enough away from Denver to keep your sanity.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
the hidden gem of Colorado is Buena Vista and Salida.
I live in Gunnison (beautiful summers, gnarly winters). Montrose is affordable, Durango is expensive.
Indeed, and Schofield pass is not to be missed.

Bueni and Salida were even better 20 years ago. Montrose and Grand Junction are tops today.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Update for Michigan.
since putting 37s on my JLUR and running 26 psi, and adjusting my socks to the softest setting, roads don't seam so bad.

Sponsored

zoey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Yes. Beautiful. Lived about 25 minutes west out of Kalispell by the Thompson chain of lakes for a few years.
The hospital there was horrible. Lots of pollution that people are ignorant about.
It was the most beautiful scenery.
This is one of the saddest things to happen. Industry/mining can occasionally destroy the countryside.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I think I would settle down around Sonora California if it the politics would change in that state. So I guess I will need two houses. One around Coeur D'Alene for the summers and another one around Tuscon for the winter.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Don’t come to Idaho... it sucks... tell everyone you know

Bravo

I've visited ID few times over the years and I always felt that place is so very amazing . Beautiful nature , not too crowded, lots of cool vintage pick up trucks, low taxes, even Hemingway opted for Idaho .
Sponsored