First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Well in that case they wouldn't be $400. They would be $4,000.00.
The vendor has to have the knowledge, do the R&D and then make the actual item.
Stock them, ship them, and support their products.

No one should expect them to do that for free.

If you're only going to sell one unit, then a bunch of people will use it, you'd have to sell them for a HELL of a lot more to recoup your costs.

Not to mention the IP.
Well absolutely, it’s a little surprising that this needs saying isn’t it.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Well in that case they wouldn't be $400. They would be $4,000.00.
The vendor has to have the knowledge, do the R&D and then make the actual item.
Stock them, ship them, and support their products.

No one should expect them to do that for free.

If you're only going to sell one unit, then a bunch of people will use it, you'd have to sell them for a HELL of a lot more to recoup your costs.

Not to mention the IP.
So, if you buy a Jeep and then buy your wife a Jeep, it is unreasonable to to be able to change the tire size on your wives jeeps after spending 400 bucks on it?
Saying that it would jump to 4000 is a straw man argument. Folks who don't have money to buy are never going to buy it, so what is the hurting the company to let you change their tire size rather than having them give the dealer a 100 bucks?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
However in the past few years Ross-Tech changed the model. Been a while since I looked, but pretty sure they started limiting to 3 VINs.
I actually was not aware of that.
I know there are several competitors though. Most of those work on a pay per change model though via an app. They don't care what the VIN is, just if you change the long coding, you need to pay a few bucks.
If you only need to do a couple things then it makes it a more attractive package.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So, if you buy a Jeep and then buy your wife a Jeep, it is unreasonable to to be able to change the tire size on your wives jeeps after spending 400 bucks on it?
Saying that it would jump to 4000 is a straw man argument. Folks who don't have money to buy are never going to buy it, so what is the hurting the company to let you change their tire size rather than having them give the dealer a 100 bucks?
The logic is flawed.
Once again, I'm surprised this even needs to be said. But I'll say it anyways.
So just your wife? What about your neighbor? Or maybe their friends, what about their wives?
Who is keeping track? who's drawing the lines?
Simply put, $400 is the cost to program whatever you want on one Jeep, treat it like it's your car insurance, and you wouldn't be so mad.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I'm not a Tazer fan boy or anything. I do have one and I literally forget I have it, it just does it's thing. But I think your post is way off base. There are technical reasons why it should be unmarried when you remove it. If it's unmarried then the next user can install and make changes no problem, I don't see your issue. I think you should put a little more thought into it before jumping to conclusions.
I totally get what you are saying for the live features.
I am talking about things that are a one-time setting. At the end of the day it's a tool right?
If I buy a nice impact wrench for my tool set and my buddy just wants to use it too get a stuck bolt out, do I tell him.. no way man, buy your own, otherwise the tool would 3000 instead of 300? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. How is this different?
Because it has software?

The way I understood the previous post was that if you unmarried it, it would also put back the tire change you made on yours to stock. Maybe I misunderstood him?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Paying Z Automotive for their product is just the right thing, the ethical thing to do. Joe has a great product, he supports it and he works to improve it. If we want him to continue developing the Tazer and any potential new products he has to protect his market and make a profit. That way future Jeepers benefit too.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So let me get this straight, you'll have $100k worth of jeeps in the driveway and you're stuck on $400+ to get TWO Tazers. (Tazer lite is only $219)

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-lite/

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
So someone should just give away their work for free because those who would never buy it anyway should be able to get it for free?

I think I’ll disagree with that thought process.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So someone should just give away their work for free because those who would never buy it anyway should be able to get it for free?

Maybe that was my mistake. I should have just said I would never buy a Jeep, then wait for my free one from FCA. LOL

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I did a search in the marketplace and I really don't think there are that many for sale. As for the tazer marrying the jeep, I think that is pretty common among tuners that can be removed from the vehicle, like my powervision for my bike (my power commanders on my old bikes were piggy back and couldn't be removed, so no need to marry as they could only work on one bike at a time). If the tuner doesn't marry to the vehicle, anyone could buy a single unit and then make adjustments on multiple vehicles.

Here's the marketplace search for tazers (if this works): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...50+51+52+53+54+55+140+158+131+58+56+57+59+130

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Does it disable only the alerts or all of the weather and traffic information?
I think all of it. If I think of it I’ll check, but I found those services to be crappy. Had them free in my Ford, too, and they were crappy there, too. Best traffic is on Google Maps and Waze via CarPlay. Ditto for weather, but via a good weather app like Carrot.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation

Who said anyone should get something for free? Literally no one, thats who.
When I buy a tool, it is reasonable to lend it to my buddy so we can correct his tire size, since I already paid the 400 bucks. I guess some are more the type to tell their buddies to piss off and go buy their own tools so they are not using something for free. The tazer is a tool, not a service. To each his own I guess.