Sponsored

Members old and new -- check in and wave hello!

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Howdy All,

First Wrangler, first Jeep, umpteenth vehicle, but first one I've gotten under and done stuff to in a long while. I'd been sneakily picking the brains of this forum since taking delivery of my four-door Sahara this past September, and appreciated the borrowed legwork and information that I gained. After I was reminded that 5-tire rotations were a thing and saved myself quite a bit of time for it, I supposed that it was finally time to become a contributing member of a society.

But apparently I'm a terrible procrastinator, because that was over two months ago.

However, last Sunday I sat down and read most every post regarding the Smittybilt Atlas Steps that have been sitting in the garage for almost as long as I've had the Jeep, and finally got up the nerve to install the stupid things. Thanks to the various dumb accidents, misguided attempts, well thought out suggestions, and trials by fire endured by the forum members here trying to install the steps, I was armed with enough knowledge, courage, and unnecessarily purchased extra hardware and tools to complete the task, saving me much time (well, unless you count the four trips to the hardware store) and frustration (err, not including when I had to remove, reattach, and re-torque two of those bolts five times. Each. Did you know that those rubber gaskets will not survive such treatment? Now you do!)

It was great! Thank you JLWranglerForums, for allowing me to easily(?) install eight new potential points of water ingress and/or rust line production centers to my formerly water-tight(ish) and white doors. Sure I was already breaking stuff and drilling holes in the Jeep even without the help of the forum, but with it, I had the additional dumb mistakes and smart solutions of dozens of people to draw upon. Well, if you subtract all the inane comments from people with no horse in the race, and maybe four people who are still staring with glazed eyes at T-50 and T-55 bits and bolts to this day, you end up with maybe five each of smart people and the dummies that needed their help, but still! As one of the unwashed and clueless masses in that situation I was thankful.

So that's why I'm here now, to add my own smart solutions, dumb mistakes, inane comments, and questions posted without using the 'Search' function first, to the forum's knowledge pool. Alone, a person can throw enough time, money, mistakes, or any combination thereof to solve most problems, but with a forum, you can gain the powers of possibly five smart people, and unhappy experiences of at least as many dumb ones just by reading! You can quote me on that. "Reading JLWranglerForums makes me at least as powerful and useful as five smart and five dumb people, plus some hecklers" The power of additional people, smart or dumb, is oftentimes handy when you are as antisocial and friendless as I am. Wait, I mean, 'I usually work on my Jeep alone'.

upload_2020-1-16_15-31-36.jpeg

Today's contribution/confirmation for the knowledge pool: 5-tire rotations are great. Regular-sized face bricks are not enough to chock even your stock tires. Remember, that handbrake is for rear wheels only. Passenger side of front axle has room for a jack or a jack stand, but not both; stick one on the frame instead. If you're thinking of getting a trolley jack specifically because of the jeep, get one with extensions for less rise before contact, more total height, and to avoid all the bits on the front right axle. I realise the photo is the complete opposite wheel from what I am talking about.

Hope to see you all on the trails. But not in Central New Jersey, because we don't have any. See you at the strip malls there.
Sponsored

VIC_15

First Name
Victoria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler willys edition
Hi!
Purchased my first Jeep two days ago and madly in love with it! This is the first vehicle I purchased on my own &I’m so glad it’s a Jeep!

BB-9 is his official name.

E956837D-81EB-4AFF-AB65-F859F5D0DAB7.jpeg

DDXDesign

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUSS
Good evening all! New to JLWF with a gently-used CPO '19 JLU SportS in Mojito green. Bought it with just under 5K miles, apparently the previous owner upgraded to a brand new completely-loaded one instead, so I got to take advantage of a bit of depreciation (was like $32.9k, a far better deal than a local dealer wanted on one with 3x the miles on it, at least...)

Jeep backstory: I've had a couple JKs, but spent the last 3 years in an orange Challenger and the Mojito struck me as a fun color. I do miss my first JK a bit - 2 door '07 Sahara in that OD Jeep Green, with added Army star and Autobot logo on the front fenders, to make it look like Hound from G1 Transformers - but the JLs have SO MANY improvements.

I just brought the JLU home last night from a dealer up in PA, and already today I ordered a tiny mod (shorter antenna). I would LIKE to upgrade the wheels a little bit from the silver SportS wheels to at least the granite ones, maybe even something a little tiny bit bigger and wider, but mainly darker colored - the silver looks out of place to me; I just don't know how all the OEM sizes stack up (most economical options are going to be takeoffs, I assume). I might even take the black Sport steelies if they don't weigh too much. Heh. I'd also like to maybe color match the dash inserts to the green.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the coming days. First one (besides the implied q above about wheel sizes) is: anybody set their HVAC to something warm, like 75+, and have the system blowing cold at you instead? Seemed to happen about half the time last night.

Thanks!
Dave

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Good evening all! New to JLWF with a gently-used CPO '19 JLU SportS in Mojito green. Bought it with just under 5K miles, apparently the previous owner upgraded to a brand new completely-loaded one instead, so I got to take advantage of a bit of depreciation (was like $32.9k, a far better deal than a local dealer wanted on one with 3x the miles on it, at least...)

Jeep backstory: I've had a couple JKs, but spent the last 3 years in an orange Challenger and the Mojito struck me as a fun color. I do miss my first JK a bit - 2 door '07 Sahara in that OD Jeep Green, with added Army star and Autobot logo on the front fenders, to make it look like Hound from G1 Transformers - but the JLs have SO MANY improvements.

I just brought the JLU home last night from a dealer up in PA, and already today I ordered a tiny mod (shorter antenna). I would LIKE to upgrade the wheels a little bit from the silver SportS wheels to at least the granite ones, maybe even something a little tiny bit bigger and wider, but mainly darker colored - the silver looks out of place to me; I just don't know how all the OEM sizes stack up (most economical options are going to be takeoffs, I assume). I might even take the black Sport steelies if they don't weigh too much. Heh. I'd also like to maybe color match the dash inserts to the green.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the coming days. First one (besides the implied q above about wheel sizes) is: anybody set their HVAC to something warm, like 75+, and have the system blowing cold at you instead? Seemed to happen about half the time last night.

Thanks!
Dave
Hi Dave, congrats buddy. I think I can answer your temperature question. With the Auto air it will blow nice and warm when you first put it on but once the interior reaches the desired temperature the auto air will actually blow cool to maintain that temperature. What I do is leave the vents open when the Jeep's cold and let the warm air blow out. In about 5 or 10 minutes when it starts to blow cooler I just shut the vents so no air is blowing on me. Like this I find the Jeep comfortable.

Sponsored

DDXDesign

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUSS
Hi Dave, congrats buddy. I think I can answer your temperature question. With the Auto air it will blow nice and warm when you first put it on but once the interior reaches the desired temperature the auto air will actually blow cool to maintain that temperature. What I do is leave the vents open when the Jeep's cold and let the warm air blow out. In about 5 or 10 minutes when it starts to blow cooler I just shut the vents so no air is blowing on me. Like this I find the Jeep comfortable.
Hey thanks for the info - I guess I didn't think I had it on Auto. I'll keep fiddling with it! =0)

beswack

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Andrew here,

just joined and unfortunately my first post is about my 19’ JLR being rear ended badly after only 5 months of ownership. I’ll be replacing it for sure as I waited forever to finally get it.

minisoda

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon Denali, Audi Q7, Motorcycles, Ski Doo Renegage 800, Honda Pioneer 1000
New member check in!

In my mid-40s and have LITERALLY wanted a Wrangler as long as I can remember. The closest I ever got was a Suzuki Samurai that I owned for a couple years in high school. That little death trap was a blast and I can't wait to have a real Jeep.

As we're shopping, this basically be a "family vehicle" and the DD for our high school daughter (unless I leave first in the morning). We have targeted a newer (or possibly new) Rubicon Unlimited with the turbo I4.

Haven't even bought the thing and I'm thinking about mods!

'Soda

Easyrhino2099

First Name
Rolandus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Noob checkin' in. Great forums so far. This past summer we sold our 16 JK for a Cherokee Trailhawk. Couple of weeks ago we traded the Trailhawk on a JL. Guess I have to start waving at people again...….

Sponsored

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
Seems like membership is growing nicely lately but I didn't see an intro thread, so I'll start!

I'm Rob from NY. I daily a Grand Cherokee and got a project TJ SE that I've had for years and will hopefully keep forever. Was considering a JKU as a weekend outdoor activity car for the family, but figured the JL Unlimited is right around the corner so why not wait. Happy to be here for the last few months following all the great news and coverage of the JL Wrangler.
Hello, my friends. My name is Hunter and I'm living in Salt Lake City - where we're in the midst of a relatively "normal" Winter. So, this means AZ and NV friends of mine will see more water accumulate in lakes Powell and Mead this year.

I do my own wrenching and have lifted Jeeps to fit 35's over the years. Yet, I'm finding that age is making it a bit harder to change 35's on and off. So, this time I've ordered a 2020 Sahara that will be here in about 4 week. It'll be a mono-color hardtop with the 3.0 diesel engine. I'm looking forward to the Diesel as it will allow full transit of the Pony Express Trail from Fairfield to Wendover on one tank of fuel.

Thanks for listening,
Hunter