Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Got the bumper and winch installed and got some of the Mopar all weather mats. Anyone been to windrock outside of Knoxville TN?
IMG_20191228_100158.jpg
IMG_20191227_190236.jpg
I've been up to Windrock. There is plenty to do there from easy to tough. There's also an abandoned rail tunnel near there that is kind of cool to run.

Beasley Knob up in Blairsville is closed this time of year but it has some tough trails that are fun.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...3&ttype=recarea&pname=Beasley Knob OHV Trails

IMG_5838.jpeg

IMG_5876.jpeg
Sponsored

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Durhamtown is ok, but terrible when it's wet. I haven't been over to Choccolocco but I've heard it's a pretty good park. There are plenty of easy runs up in the mountains to start out on.
http://www.choccoloccomountain.com

Nimblewill Gap Rd is a good easy run.
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/georgia/nimblewill-gap-road?ref=sidebar-static-map

The good part of Tray Mountain is shut down. That used to be a fun run but I wouldn't go up there for the easy side. It is basically a gravel road.

Charlies Creek is fun but not much more than a gravel road
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/charlies-creek.367046/

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
ok getting serious now. What do I need in any recovery type bag or do I need it? Fire Extinguisher? I like to learn and be prepared. Thank you Dave!

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you CCOR is only 30 minutes that’s great!

Sponsored

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
ok getting serious now. What do I need in any recovery type bag or do I need it? Fire Extinguisher? I like to learn and be prepared. Thank you Dave!
Here is a list put together by a guy I met out in Colorado who teaches off road driving skills. If you go to Colorado and want to meet a great off road instructor get in touch with Cam Benton at http://pathfinders4x4.com. There is a school up at Uwharrie also but I've never made it up there. https://www.sfwda.org/uortc

I learned a ton from doing that and gained a lot of confidence in what my Jeep could do. Since then I have been to Moab a few times and did the Rubicon trail a couple of years ago.

Attachments

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of that list might be overkill for Georgia especially if you're wheeling with other people. You can get a lot further away from civilization out west.

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
@Dasher320 your list has Shotgun Shells, but no Shotgun.. what are they for???
Good question. I think he uses spent shotgun shells for holding a fire starter kit. Matches, cotton ball, vaseline, etc stuffed into a shotgun shells with a slightly bigger shell pushed over to seal it up. Generally they make a handy, sort of waterproof small container for free if you happen to have them laying around or find some while you're out in a survival situation.

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual
Ok, so I have had my Jeep for 2 weeks. Absolutely love it.

Now, I live in the Mall of GA area. Any short trails that I could do within an hour drive that are good for a beginner? Want to get my teeth wet on the trails.

I have a buddy that is open for going with me. We are looking at doing a half day deal. As of yet, I do not have a winch.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I have had my Jeep for 2 weeks. Absolutely love it.

Now, I live in the Mall of GA area. Any short trails that I could do within an hour drive that are good for a beginner? Want to get my teeth wet on the trails.

I have a buddy that is open for going with me. We are looking at doing a half day deal. As of yet, I do not have a winch.

Thanks in advance.
The forest service roads are your best bet. There are hundred of miles of them. This thread already has links to all the maps and info. You should be within an hour of anything near Helen

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey looking for feedback from anyone who has been to Beasley Knob. We are thinking of going overnight this summer. Any camping around there? Could be a big group (10+ vehicles).
Thanks!

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Hey looking for feedback from anyone who has been to Beasley Knob. We are thinking of going overnight this summer. Any camping around there? Could be a big group (10+ vehicles).
Thanks!
Hopefully someone can give you info about camping. I've been up there but never camped near the trails. It is a good trail system with some very challenging runs. Make sure you check the website before going because they will close it if there has been rain.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hopefully someone can give you info about camping. I've been up there but never camped near the trails. It is a good trail system with some very challenging runs. Make sure you check the website before going because they will close it if there has been rain.
thanks. Now I’m thinking we may camp at Vogel State Park about 20 minutes away.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!
There is primitive coming at Beasley. Pit toilets.
Sponsored