Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
A famous 4wD instructor once told me, "If I'm using lockers, I'm using both".
Sponsored

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
This is what can happen if you are stuck in a Jeep without lockers. So very painful to watch when it can be so easy with the proper drivetrain and gearing.

[
Proof that Rockcrawler spotting doesn't work in a mud hole. Momentum people! Use the rev limiter!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm still learning to use lockers since I've never had them before now. I could be completely wrong but have the understanding that you should lock the rear anytime in 4-low
If you read through the posts before yours, that shouldn’t be the case.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We already give "recommendations" for equipment via trail ratings. The truly "touched" will go ahead and try trails far beyond their equipment, in spite of the ratings. I'm not saying they should be regulated though. Just saying that it does happen.
Ehh, all they really indicate from what I’ve seen is a certain colored Jeep pictograph (which may not mean very much to a novice) or a sign saying high clearance vehicles. You have to try not to be jaded about people who make mistakes or mistakenly damage a trail in part because of their vehicle’s equipment. What might happen is you get rid of a future trail keeper, defender, public land advocate. I’d just recommend mods so they are less likely to encounter the same issue as often.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Guess it depends on where you live.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/table-mesa-arizona-jeep-trails/ss-BBTuWJp#image=1

First image is an example from around here.

I know the trails in Penrose, CO are the same way....

I've got a pic of it somewhere......

Same thing with Pritchett Canyon in Moab.

http://www.ericsxj.com/moab13/3280.jpg

Maybe you missed my drift, but I wasn't advocating we regulate trails based on equipment....I'm just saying systems to warn people of equipment that you should have are already in place and already ignored.
You didnt. Nobody specified regulating trails but it sounded like that’s inferred seeing as that is the only way to keep the improperly equipped off trails beyond their vehicle’s capability (or driver for that matter).

It’s great that there are trails you’ve been to that indicate a properly equipped vehicle based on the terrain. Maybe there were enough casualties or other circumstances to make that popular in a mountainous region. I’ve asked questions about a vehicle's capability needed for a given level of advertised difficulty to no avail. Even the ratings vary. I guess that is subjective and obviously not standardized but I’m ok with that because you should be able to go around or turn around.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'm not advocating keeping under prepared rigs and/or inexperienced drivers off trails....and I'm flatly stating that; so that no one can make an incorrect "inference". Those folks will find out for themselves that they were under prepared in spite of the warnings and we all start somewhere. Novices don't become experts by sticking to the easy trails.

Agreed that the trail rating system is subjective....your only option is to find the ratings, read up on them, talk with locals and decide for yourself as there isn't any standardization (as you mentioned). All of those things should give you a very good idea though.

Lastly, most of the harder trails around here in the western US don't have bypasses and once you're in, you're going to have to complete the trail b/c you came up waterfalls that are a lot worse to come down than go up (for most front engine vehicles anyway).
I’ve heard and seen but generally one should be able to or there is a warning sign. Some you can’t turn around after a certain point and have to keep going like BBP, CO. With trailheads with signs as detailed like you shared, you’d think they’d have another saying “last chance” etc. That or “You’re F*@$&! Now”. :LOL:

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not saying one should leave the rear axle locked....I'm saying that the amount of additional wear when used offroad is negligible...and I'm making that statement based on actual experience with a full spool and ARBs that I usually lock once I get to the first obstacle on the trail and will often (not always) leave locked until we hit the out.

The biggest reason to unlock the rear is maneuverability. Any additional drivetrain "wind up" is generally going to be dissipated by wheel slippage in the soil..which is why the additional "wear" is really something I wouldn't be ultra concerned about.
Yeah that makes it more clear. As long as peeps realize do not leave lockers engaged in 4L all the time regardless of circumstances that is important. Some wheel slip is key and knowing when to disengage. Really depends on the circumstances.

We use both going up super steep bouldered single track - and rear only going down. With decent control the Rubi becomes a crawl monster. The very interesting point is decent control even works going uphill after a sharp decline. Weird but it does.

But on very steep FSRs normally will just leave in 4L lockers off - as in 4H speed picks up too much with way more brake application even in first. Especially in fully covered snow like in the avatar - we like to be under complete control as often we are right on the very side of a mountain. Any side slip and you can easily slide right off. Is actually pretty dangerous at times. When that happens we slap on the chains.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just a word of warning if you don't already know...when you lose traction on a locked axle, the vehicle will tend to side slip down hill at that end. So, on the edge of a snowy cliff, you'll have to carefully consider if having the locker(s) on to get forward/backward movement is worth it, if the vehicle starts to slide toward the edge. If you unlock, the non-spinning tire in the open diff mode will help "anchor" the vehicle somewhat.
That’s a good point.... had this happen to me once, wasn’t a huge cliff, it was a muddy bank.
High enough that I would have ended up on my side. I was able to stop once I realized where I was headed and unlocked the rear but left the front locked and and drove out of it.......:)

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
3F926274-5996-4929-9DE8-12A1C2DC54A8.jpeg

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi all, I grew up in jeeps and all i've always had was a Detroit locker or spool in the rear and power loc or tracloc in the front. So my JLUR with e-lockers has a by-pass so I am able to lock the rear at anytime the front when I need to. Sense I live in the So Cal desert I do a lot of dirt road traveling so a locked rear ( for me) is an advantage. The more you get out the more you will find out what you need.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a word of warning if you don't already know...when you lose traction on a locked axle, the vehicle will tend to side slip down hill at that end. So, on the edge of a snowy cliff, you'll have to carefully consider if having the locker(s) on to get forward/backward movement is worth it, if the vehicle starts to slide toward the edge. If you unlock, the non-spinning tire in the open diff mode will help "anchor" the vehicle somewhat.
Yeah side slip can get dicey. Best to relax - not panic - and take time to figure out the best solution given your equipment on hand. So far tracks and chains have been sufficient. But best to travel in a winched up buddy convoy fully prepped.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No matter what hardware or technology your packing, your only as good as those four contact patches of rubber
Sponsored