First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I have some steel bumpers and a winch ready to go onto my Jeep in the next couple of weeks.

This will be the first time I’ve had a vehicle equipped with a winch. I’m sold on the idea of getting rid of the hook in favour of a closed loop system and the Factor 55 products seem to be popular. They’re also available for me to purchase in the U.K.

I’d be interested to hear opinions about their products and experiences that could maybe guide me in which one to buy.

I’m looking for the most practical and versatile of the products not the one that looks best! And let’s pretend the price isn’t important.

Thank you for any help and advice you give.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I have some steel bumpers and a winch ready to go onto my Jeep in the next couple of weeks.

This will be the first time I’ve had a vehicle equipped with a winch. I’m sold on the idea of getting rid of the hook in favour of a closed loop system and the Factor 55 products seem to be popular. They’re also available for me to purchase in the U.K.

I’d be interested to hear opinions about their products and experiences that could maybe guide me in which one to buy.

I’m looking for the most practical and versatile of the products not the one that looks best! And let’s pretend the price isn’t important.

I went with the Flat Splicer. It gets rid of some more hardware on the end of the line and it's cheaper. I cut the end off of a large knitting needle to use as a fid for splicing. They cost about $6 for two.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My wife just ordered me this from Factor 55.

515h9yfbsZL._SX679_.jpg

I already have this from Factor 55.

61iGrfxADXL._SL1200_.jpg

I carry this is my Jeep all the time as I broke my rope one time. I can splices the rope back together in meer seconds.

OP
OP
Rudolph Hart

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
My wife just ordered me this from Factor 55.

515h9yfbsZL._SX679_.jpg

I already have this from Factor 55.

61iGrfxADXL._SL1200_.jpg

I carry this is my Jeep all the time as I broke my rope one time. I can splices the rope back together in meer seconds.
Hi Ted,

So that’s the Flatlink Expert, it can take a bow shackle...loop end or pin and attach to OEM tow hooks, any other pros for this one?

Yes, I think the Fast Fid looks a good solution, I’ll get that.

Thanks for the replies.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you’re frugal (like I am) there are similar solutions that are just as high quality but not nearly as overpriced as the Factor 55 gear. TRE makes quality gear that’s not so expensive. They have a thimble for closed loop winching and everything else except the flat link.

https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

I went with the flat link expert. I made a video on it if you want to check it out. Sorry about the wind. It was before I got a dead cat wind buffer on the mic.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re frugal (like I am) there are similar solutions that are just as high quality but not nearly as overpriced as the Factor 55 gear. TRE makes quality gear that’s not so expensive. They have a thimble for closed loop winching and everything else except the flat link.

I do not find Factor 55 overpriced, value is in the eye of the beholder, I like their attention to detail, innovation and commitment to the market

Last edited:

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR

Factor 55 tests all their gear to destruction via an independent, third party. The fact that they work so hard to ensure that their gear is SAFE, and that they spend so much on R&D and testing, makes them an easy choice for me.

Lots of companies make "similar" stuff. You can't swing a dead cat today without hitting some new company peddling look alike recovery gear, ropes and soft shackles.

I believe that you get what you pay for with recovery gear, and I trust my Factor 55 stuff to not fail me. Nothing against TRE or anyone else, just my .02

Caveat Emptor.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like my flatlink E because it will allow you to hook up to the stock Jeep tow hooks if needed or a shackle can work on both ends instead of just one.

20190520_154147.jpg
I went with the Flatlink E for the same reason. Being able to attach to many OEM tow hooks was a plus.

BD1441AA-CA31-42C8-B615-0D30013D730E.jpeg

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I went with the standard flat link, it tucks nicely behind my license plate mount. I've used it on factory tow hooks and it just takes an extra shackle. Probably more convenient to have the E, but in some ways I'd rather have the extra shackle to keep the rope a couple inches farther from the bumper edges.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have the Flatlink E, no complaints. I got the rope guard, not because I bash my front end into rocks (what they advertise it for), but as a way to protect the rope as much as possible from UV rays. Be careful though, F55 is addicting. I just got 2 of their Crosby shackles, 2 soft shackles, and their snatch block pulley (also have their fairlead). I happened to check all my shackles I’ve had for years - all where from China and I just can’t trust that, even though some have been around long enough they are probably good quality (and had WLL listed).
Sponsored