crawco

crawco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If it’s only 4 wires get out your fluke and start probing for signal. Ask them for 50% off for your assistance, you never know.
I guess I am pussing out when it comes to doing that research on my own. A Jeep wiring diagram would be nice and make it much easier to identify the wire color changes from 2019 to 2020
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
but if a magnet falls off your step is stuck open.
The doors are aluminum so they don't actually attach to the doors that way. You have to use the double sided tape. I recommend VHB tape. If my magnets fall off with that stuff holding them on, I've got bigger problems lol.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Should have been around when nothing was available for JL, but since they made an 18 JK and you said you had an 18, people would assure you things would fit.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new 2020 JLUR and am looking for power running boards. I am not interested in applying magnets at all doors. That eliminates all manufacturers except AMP Research.They make three different units for 2018-2019 JL, but they state they will not work for 2020 JL. Evidently, Jeep changed the wiring harness for the door ajar wires for 2020. That is the only change in the install for a 2020 compared to a 2019.

I called Amp to ask when they would have the new info on these 4 wires and was told maybe in a couple of months. They can't figure it out because they cant get their hands on a 2020 JL. They say they all the Jeeps sell too fast and they cant get one in the shop to figure out the change in the wire colors. The 2020s have been out for months. There is no excuse for this level of incompetence. The guy I was speaking to couldn't care less about 2020 JL owners. I have read about other Jeep owners complaining about the attitude at Amp Research. It must be nice to be so fat and happy that you can tell an entire category of customers that you don't want their business.
Wwaaaaahhhhhh wah waahhhhhhhhh

Lmao

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
My dealer arranged to have the AMP Research steps installed before we took delivery. That was 10 weeks ago. They work great.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I hear you about not wanting the magnetic switches, but......
I have the AMP board on my F150. I installed them about 4 years ago, and love them, except for the fact that they do not protect against tire vomit. (sh!t "thrown up") by the tires. (and I DO have mud flaps on)

That is the reason for the JL I went with the aries. As I said, I preferred the wiring route for the AMP, UNTIL I had the aries installed on the jeep.

I run the jeep naked & tube doors April - Oct/Nov. with the aries, I can install a metal washer on the tube doors as well. Further, I installed the "override" switch for each door. This allows you to completely control the steps FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL DOOR! You cannot do this witht he AMP.

This is especially great for me, as I am 6'4", so despite the lift, it is easier for me to simply slide into the driver seat, not using the steps. So I run with all doors enabled, except the driver door. do when I get in & out, no steps. when any other door is opened, the steps deploy. (although I installed one of the override switches for each door, so I can turn on or off any individual door, in addition to the master override switch that disables all.

And, as mentioned, they are great for helping keep the road vomit off the sides of my JL.

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Dude, this is a big accusation. They're a small business, and 2020's just started getting on lots in the past few months. Needing time to do R&D how to change stuff for a 2020 isn't "blowing off" anyone. Heck, AEV hasn't even released their JL bumpers yet and it's been three years.

You belong on reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars

Redrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Just got done installing a set of Power Step Xl on a 2020 Unlimited Rubicon.

Blue connector on BCM Module Violet/White wire to White Wire on Door Trigger Module
White connector on BCM Module Violet wire to Violet Wire on Door Trigger Module
White connector on BCM Module Violet/Grey wire to Grey Wire on Door Trigger Module
White connector on BCM Module Violet/Yellow wire to Yellow wire on Door Trigger Module

OP
OP
crawco

crawco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got done installing a set of Power Step Xl on a 2020 Unlimited Rubicon.

Blue connector on BCM Module Violet/White wire to White Wire on Door Trigger Module
White connector on BCM Module Violet/Grey wire to Grey Wire on Door Trigger Module
White connector on BCM Module Violet/Yellow wire to Yellow wire on Door Trigger Module
Whatever you did to figure that out AMP could do just as quickly. Thank you for the info. You should put that in it's own thread for those looking for it.

OP
OP
crawco

crawco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you about not wanting the magnetic switches, but......
I have the AMP board on my F150. I installed them about 4 years ago, and love them, except for the fact that they do not protect against tire vomit. (sh!t "thrown up") by the tires. (and I DO have mud flaps on)

That is the reason for the JL I went with the aries. As I said, I preferred the wiring route for the AMP, UNTIL I had the aries installed on the jeep.

I run the jeep naked & tube doors April - Oct/Nov. with the aries, I can install a metal washer on the tube doors as well. Further, I installed the "override" switch for each door. This allows you to completely control the steps FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL DOOR! You cannot do this witht he AMP.

This is especially great for me, as I am 6'4", so despite the lift, it is easier for me to simply slide into the driver seat, not using the steps. So I run with all doors enabled, except the driver door. do when I get in & out, no steps. when any other door is opened, the steps deploy. (although I installed one of the override switches for each door, so I can turn on or off any individual door, in addition to the master override switch that disables all.

And, as mentioned, they are great for helping keep the road vomit off the sides of my JL.
I gave up on AMP and went with RBP Stealth. I am dealing with the magnets which seems to be a necessary evil. I liked the version RBP makes for the JL as it looks like the stock JL rock rail when stowed. I never really liked the look of AMP's bare Powerstep on a Jeep. I was always looking at the Powerstep XL which has the additional housing for the step.

Sponsored

OP
OP
crawco

crawco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude, this is a big accusation. They're a small business, and 2020's just started getting on lots in the past few months. Needing time to do R&D how to change stuff for a 2020 isn't "blowing off" anyone. Heck, AEV hasn't even released their JL bumpers yet and it's been three years.

You belong on reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars
If you look at the post from Redrum just below yours you will see all the info that I needed. I don't know how long it took Redrum to figure that out, but AMP could have done it months ago. It is the only change between the 2019 and the 2020 JLU. They made the conscious decision not to invest this small effort for the 2020 JL customers. I don't think it is too much to ask.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I gave up on AMP and went with RBP Stealth. I am dealing with the magnets which seems to be a necessary evil. I liked the version RBP makes for the JL as it looks like the stock JL rock rail when stowed. I never really liked the look of AMP's bare Powerstep on a Jeep. I was always looking at the Powerstep XL which has the additional housing for the step.
I've had my powerstep xl for awhile. I like them a lot.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
So, the colors matched up?
White to White
Violet to Violet
Grey to Grey
Yellow to Yellow

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If it’s only 4 wires get out your fluke and start probing for signal. Ask them for 50% off for your assistance, you never know.
The OP seems very pissed off because a company has net yet adapted its product to his model Jeep on the timeframe that he wants to buy. Personally, the entire tone of his original post was off putting to me. Your idea here though sounds terrific! If the issue that the vendor is having is not being able to get their hands on a 2020 JL, the OP should offer his up, help with the process, and in return get a really steep discount on the product when it’s finally ready. Good suggestion.

Redrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
So, the colors matched up?
White to White
Violet to Violet
Grey to Grey
Yellow to Yellow

Yeah, the tracer or stripe matches up to the Amp Research module wire color. My understanding is the difference between the 20 and 19 is the violet/yellow is on the BCM module White Plug instead of the Black Plug.
Sponsored