Big brake kit question

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Hey guys I have a sport s with 35s and mopar lift. I was interested in the big brake kit but does the sport share the same reservoir and master cylinder as a rubicon? From what I understand the big brake kit comes on a rubi stock. The new kit doesn’t come with a new reservoir or master cylinder...... soooo curious if anyone knows?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm considering this too, although I think I'd just get the front set. The Rubicons and Saharas come w/ the bigger brakes but the Moab doesn't which seems a bit strange.

The fronts do about 70% of the braking and just a front kit POWER STOP KC794036 Z36 Truck & Tow Performance Kit at rockauto is about $350 (which includes core charge) and (2) caliper brackets at $62 each MOPAR 68383242AA

Rockauto only lists one Master Cylinder MOPAR 68385585AC

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Yes I think it’s the same. If I had a friend with a rubi I would look. The whole kit is on sale now if I’m goin to do it I’ll grab the whole kit it’s 638$ right now

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes I think it’s the same. If I had a friend with a rubi I would look. The whole kit is on sale now if I’m goin to do it I’ll grab the whole kit it’s 638$ right now
The base powerstop kit w/ base type pads (which I would strongly consider upgrading) is only $585 (including core) but would still need the brackets (I know you need the front pair, not sure if the rears are the same).
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...heel+hub,caliper,+rotor+&+brake+pad+kit,14204

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm considering this too, although I think I'd just get the front set. The Rubicons and Saharas come w/ the bigger brakes but the Moab doesn't which seems a bit strange.

The fronts do about 70% of the braking and just a front kit POWER STOP KC794036 Z36 Truck & Tow Performance Kit at rockauto is about $350 (which includes core charge) and (2) caliper brackets at $62 each MOPAR 68383242AA

Rockauto only lists one Master Cylinder MOPAR 68385585AC
Wait.. Moab doesn't come with big brakes? What! Are you serious? .. It's basically a fully optioned out Sahara.. That makes no sense.

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Wait.. Moab doesn't come with big brakes? What! Are you serious? .. It's basically a fully optioned out Sahara.. That makes no sense.
I guess it’s because a Sahara doesn’t

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I guess it’s because a Sahara doesn’t
LOL Sahara's have big brakes and this is common knowledge for a few years already. There is no need to argue as it's written on the spec sheets and taking one look at a Sahara's brakes you could confirm this.

My take is that Moab have the big brakes as well.

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LOL Sahara's have big brakes and this is common knowledge for a few years already. There is no need to argue as it's written on the spec sheets and taking one look at a Sahara's brakes you could confirm this.

For whatever reason the Unlimited Moabs don't have the big brakes but Saharas do, at least according to the brake section on rockauto (and their part look-ups are very rarely erroneous). Like I posted previously, seems strange for sure!
Here's their brake set listings
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...heel+hub,caliper,+rotor+&+brake+pad+kit,14204

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl

From what I read they didn’t sorry. Why would they sell the kit for a sport or Sahara. I’m not claiming to know just what it seems like

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
What I don’t understand is in one kit I see a brake booster and reservoir and in another I do not. In a jl sport s is the res and master the same? Possibly the second kit is just different.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure about the booster and master cylinder, but I put Rubi axles and brakes on my Sport and no issues with brake performance.

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
I'm not sure about the booster and master cylinder, but I put Rubi axles and brakes on my Sport and no issues with brake performance.
Are you convinced the big brake kit made a difference. I’m also looking to get the rubi axels upgrade cause I’m not sure I need much more. How much did you drop on the axels
Sponsored