Sponsored

Minimalist Rigs

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I'm a bit jealous, my trip to California was abandoned after doing some math a few days in. Spent a week in a giant U-turn and got to visit Nashville and Dollywood, though. Maybe I passed by you.

Flying and renting a car? Do you want things small enough to pack with you? I once took a camping setup in a carry-on and it was the only time I've ever even sort of wished for a long delay so that I could whip out a cot, mattress, blanket and everything and actually be comfortable sleeping in front of a gate.

Frost in the interior, now that's a can of worms. There must be more methods, opinions, and arguments on mitigating frost and condensation than there are for tires and lifts. It usually means you're having fun though! A small broom whisk is useful for after you shake off your tent walls (all over yourself and your gear) to brush the ice off your bag and everything into a corner to soak up or toss out later. Good for leaves and dirt too. Only turn on the heater after you've taken care of the frost.

I'll say new sleeping pads, since you didn't mention them. Especially for frozen fun time. The new ones are all amazing; they even make doubles now. Below 50 degrees, get more R-value than you think you'll need. Don't use a regular air-mattress in the cold, no matter how thick it is, the convection will make you miserable.

Do you plan on sleeping inside the car at any point? I keep a me-sized space clear in the back in case it's awful rain or extra-pokey ground conditions outside. Your hammocking friend, Uhdinator, above might not worry about it, but even though some people love pitching in the wind and rain and snow, I don't know anyone that likes to deal with that muddy, soggy mess when it's time to strike camp. I recommend a dedicated 'gross' bag or box for those situations. I think Uhdinator's is a horse watering trough in his photo?

Add a cheap synthetic fill puffy blanket to your jeep- compresses small and fits everywhere, and greatly increases your temperature range happiness for minimal cost and bulk. A 40 or 50-degree synthetic backpacking quilt is perfect, but don't use 'backpacking quilt' in your search, it quadruples the price.

Lots of people here consider their Harbor Freight moving blanket their emergency blanket, but it's pretty useless for comfort when below 50 degrees and you're static. It's better than nothing though, and great for everything else. I have three in there myself, but a cheap quilted puffy anything is more warmth-to-packed-volume efficient, and won't compromise your loft when used on top your existing bags.
Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Just starting out? Lucky you! There's so much great gear out there, you can't believe it.

Go to REI, get a tent, sleeping bag, and mattress pad combo. They're occasionally on sale. This is important because you may get out there and find you hate it. REI accepts returns within the first year for any reason. Become a member.

Go on Amazon or Wal-Mart and buy a Coleman 2 burner camp stove, and a low cost mid size cooler, and 2 camp chairs.

Use an old pan from home, take paper and plastic.

Load up the Jeep with your kit.

Find a nearby state or national park that's open. Reserve a spot. Show up. Have fun.

BOOM! you're an Overlander!

On your next adventure, go farther, take your own water, etc.