Sponsored

Lost backup camera guide lines

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I lost my lines today. Went to settings, it was correct. Toggled the lines off, went back to screen, turned off the jeep. Started jeep, no lines, went to settings, Toggled lines on, went back to screen. Turned jeep off, restarted jeep, NO LINES.

Yep they disappeared. I paid $1,595.00 for the Infotainment Option group in my new (1425 miles) 2018 JL 2.0 liter Rubicon 2 door. Owned it two months now. There needs to be a fix.

Anyway to force an update?

v/r RCH

@RCH

No, you cannot force a Uconnect update. Yes, you can force a Uconnect Radio reboot (fuse pull) which more often then not will bring the lines right back.

If you do nothing, you will find that after a few restarts / a day lets say, the lines will reappear on their own.

DO, when you start your JL, give Uconnect a chance to boot up. Start the JL, and then sit there for say 15 seconds, in Park or Neutral before placing the JL in reverse. This in itself is probably good to do anyway.

Many have found that doing as I mention, curtails the lost line thing...

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
While you are waiting for a Dealer check up, just for curiosity, pull your fuse box cover, and press down on each fuse, relay, see if they are seated fully. Also the lugged connections on the onboard side of the power distribution box... People have reported these as loose, not fully seated.
Also check ground connections on passenger side, it doesn't take much to cause intermittent electrical issues. This is a quick and clean check , might fix an issue..

LLuxOperon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lluxoperon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL 4 Door
@RCH

No, you cannot force a Uconnect update. Yes, you can force a Uconnect Radio reboot (fuse pull) which more often then not will bring the lines right back.

If you do nothing, you will find that after a few restarts / a day lets say, the lines will reappear on their own.

DO, when you start your JL, give Uconnect a chance to boot up. Start the JL, and then sit there for say 15 seconds, in Park or Neutral before placing the JL in reverse. This in itself is probably good to do anyway.

Many have found that doing as I mention, curtails the lost line thing...

Thanks! I can confirm a fuse pull (F97 - Radio/TBM) reset works on the Sahara model, just did it with success. You will have to redo some of your basic user preferences like audio settings, and Uconnect theme, etc. And importantly, DO NOT PANIC, you might not see even see options for the camera for the first few minutes of starting the car, give it time to reset fully.

One thing I noticed this morning when it started was that I didn't get the "accept" prompt to use Uconnect, and then no backup lines, no matter what settings I changed. After the reset, it's back asking me to "accept" with my backup lines at all.

M-Train14

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Granite
My backup camera lines have disappeared, One year after the jeep was purchased... several dappers later... still love it...

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Lost mine on 2018 JLUR. Tried restarting the vehicle a few times, but no go. Next day they were back and hasn't happened since.

Go figure...

Sponsored

McCloude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD / 2019 WK2 TH
I'm really getting tired of this issue. About once every 3 or so weeks I lose the lines. I've never been able to recreate the problem on demand to avoid that use case. It never happens when I first start up, always after I've been driving and go to park when I reach my destination. 90% of the time the lines are back when I drive the next time. If not, a day later it's back to normal.

CU_JLU

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I also have a JLU Sahara with the 8.4 and random loss of guidelines...

Following for later.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ditto on my 2018 JLUR. The guidelines disappear roughly every third time I take a drive. Based on a couple of the previous posts I've got a couple of theories which I'm going to test before I raise it with the dealer at the next service:

1) The Parkview guidelines only started disappearing after the first 1200 miles which is roughly the same time I got a new iPhone and started to use the Carplay feature via USB
2) The 8.4 Uconnect system takes a while to boot up and sometimes I've already put the car into reverse before the unit gets past the wake up screen

I'm now wondering if either of the above factors play a part?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Ditto on my 2018 JLUR. The guidelines disappear roughly every third time I take a drive. Based on a couple of the previous posts I've got a couple of theories which I'm going to test before I raise it with the dealer at the next service:

1) The Parkview guidelines only started disappearing after the first 1200 miles which is roughly the same time I got a new iPhone and started to use the Carplay feature via USB
2) The 8.4 Uconnect system takes a while to boot up and sometimes I've already put the car into reverse before the unit gets past the wake up screen

I'm now wondering if either of the above factors play a part?
Every third time is a lot. Happens on my ‘18 once in a blue moon. I think it happens if I don’t let UConnect boot up before shifting into reverse (I have a manual). I also use CarPlay a lot, but I tend to plug my phone in before even starting the Jeep.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well to test my theories for the past couple of days I unplugged my iphone and gave the wrangler a good time to reboot before first putting it into gear and guess what I got in return? My first taste of reverse camera blank screen!! :angry:

Sponsored

jmcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara
I was having issue with loosing my backup lines every few days and have not had a problem since I reseated all fuses and relays. Some were very loose. Give it a try.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I was having issue with loosing my backup lines every few days and have not had a problem since I reseated all fuses and relays. Some were very loose. Give it a try.
Thanks @jmcl I tried this and no problem with the reverse camera since so hopefully all fixed!

DTPICKREL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi Punk'n Orange and love it
Day two on my brand new 2018 Rubi (less than 200 miles) and the same thing happened, I lost the back up camera guidelines for the whole day. I reset the radio defaults twice. It has the most up to date software. I used advice from this thread and did the following: Pulled the radio fuse for about 5 minutes. I also reseated all the other fuses and relays. They were pretty bad actually, some were crooked and not fully seated although I suspect they were making contact. I also gave the radio a chance to boot up before trying the camera. It worked and hopefully fixed the issue for good.
On a side note: I loved to see the terminals/posts under the fuse panel, I'm assuming they are on a relay and ready for anything as I have the aux switches. I need to read about them.

Update: 2 weeks later and I have lost the backup camera guidelines twice that I know of. They come back sooner or later. Or at least so far. I will talk with the service writer at the first service but I doubt it will be fixed.

Last edited:

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I both have 2018 Wrangler JLUs, we have both experienced the loss of lines and I also had the black screen back up camera the other day. No seeming rhyme or reason to it. Planning to talk to jeep to see if they have a fix for it. This is ridiculous…

both of our wranglers have less than 10,000 miles on them.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
This has been happening to my new JL Sahara with 8.4 screen. Seems to happen every couple days and is back to normal after turning the car off for a bit. Is anyone else having the same problem or know if Jeep is aware of an issue?

Also, I believe I do have the updated firmware as I have off road screens.
On my 2018 I noticed mine did it a few times and narrowed my problem down to: Once you start it, let the system boot up before pulling it in to reverse. That solved my problem but yours may be different. Additionally, in order to reboot some things, shutting off and turning back on isn't enough, you have to open and shut the door to create a new cycle.

Anyway, worth a shot....enjoy your jeep.
Sponsored