The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Received a bunch of PM's on the Garvin Adventure Rack that I recently returned. I figured I'd post my response here to help out others...

Here's the skinny on the rack... I did some research and found that Garvin makes some great racks in a reasonable price range for the Jk and JL markets. Reviews were great for the JK so I emailed them to see if they had plans to make one for the soft top JL.

After a few months and email exchanges back and forth they released it. In these email exchanges I asked specifically if it would tilt to allow full use of the soft top, to which the CEO said yes. In each exchange they were pleasant and had great customer service. - I actually ordered the wrong rack at first and was able to cancel it a few hours after ordering switching to the Adventure rack.

I received the rack and found that it would indeed tilt, but only after removing 6 bolts that are torqued down on assembly. I would need to grab myself hardware and a tether to make this process easier.

The rack was sturdy and I thought I would get years of use with it. I'm mechanically inclined but I did not want to put more money into an already pricy mod and the current process to actually tilt it back was too much of a pain. I don't really feel you can even call it a tilting rack with the disassembly needed to make it work. Add in the cost of new hardware and the time that it would take to get that dialed in I decided to return it.

In order to return it Garvin said they would waive the restocking fee but I would have to pay shipping (this was NOT cheap). All in all this was a giant pain in the butt and cost more than if I just bought one of the tried and true racks for the soft top JL. Lesson learned.

If you choose to look at Garvin be sure to ask very very specific questions. A note: They still don't mention this information on their website as of 12/11/19

scottiea11

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Jl 4DR 2018
Does anyone NOT use FrontRunner (https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/) for a reason. I've gone through a chunk of this thread without finding one mention of the brand.

Anyone know the different capabilities of it compared to Rhino Racks? FR is perpendicular vs Rhino being parallel.
Also I see FR has a lot of storage accessories vs Rhino offering weather bags... Are there accessory options out there that work well with Rhino Pioneer rack.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Does anyone NOT use FrontRunner (https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/) for a reason. I've gone through a chunk of this thread without finding one mention of the brand.

Anyone know the different capabilities of it compared to Rhino Racks? FR is perpendicular vs Rhino being parallel.
Also I see FR has a lot of storage accessories vs Rhino offering weather bags... Are there accessory options out there that work well with Rhino Pioneer rack.
At first glance, the FR rack seems to sit really tall in comparison

scottiea11

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Jl 4DR 2018
At first glance, the FR rack seems to sit really tall in comparison
True, I ended up purchasing Maximus-3 Pioneer Platform (RhinoRack) 4Dr Long. I’ll share photos sometime this next

Sponsored

Theblues19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl sahara
Went with this rack. No drilling. Attaches to gutter rails. Weight limit is that of the rack approx 50 lbs plus cargo so not much. But will allow to transport a kayak or camping gear. Good until other heavier weight bearing racks are released. This is www.justjeepnstuff.com. Dave, the mind behind the build, personally brought it down and was awesome.

20181019_153506_HDR_Film1~2.jpg
Any pics of that orange roof rack. That color combination looks tough. Please share the goodness

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I installed my SMS Exposed Rack and got my tent mounted. It's a low profile rack. Mount rack to tent first, then mount tent onto the jeep. I then built a awning mount this morning. Seems like a well built rack. Came with weight distribution feet that can be adjusted.

20190525_122830.jpg

20190525_192343.jpg

20190525_192356.jpg
I am sold.

Are these the low profile or standard height?

WT JL

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Petrol
Is there a flat tray that I can put on top of the standard Jeep roof racks? Like what the rhinos have?

but I don’t want to drill into the roof. Happy to have less old capacity.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
Besides my kayak, these traction boards are the first items I've truly "mounted" to the EVO Mfg rack. Side awning and possibly jack will be next. I do love the 2x side and 2x rear Baja Design lights I've installed for full 360* lighting.

I used 4x 3/8" channel nuts. Sadly with their design, you have to remove the bolts/nuts holding each bar/slat on the main frame to slide the nuts in the channels. And with the allen key head and locking nylon flange nut, you almost have to buy new hardware because the heads strip easy and the nylon degrades after removing it. Bad design knowing people will want to add/remove items from the slots throughout its life. Also, while tightening the the 3/8x2.5" bolts through the boards, the nuts get "pulled" up easily and distort the slats.

All in all, I like the appearance and non-drilling into roof need of the EVO Mfg rack.. but its weight carrying capabilities, bolt/nut choice, and what else I mentioned makes my regret my choice on rack :/

83707102_3305188659498562_7945526078389354496_n.jpg

83860873_3305188706165224_362292319757533184_n.jpg

Sponsored

quere66

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hey guys,

Any update on this?

What about the Rugged Ridge Hard Top Roof Rack? has anyone installed it yet?

I found some pics online.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 3.53.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 3.52.56 PM.png

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone measure the distance from the hard top to the top of the crossbar on the Mopar roof rack?

tlindell

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Finally got to install my Expedition One Mule Ultra roof rack. Love the look but building and installing was a pain in the a$$. Also note if you buy from them, expected wait from order to delivery was 10 weeks.
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg

tlindell

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
looks great! Can you remove the freedom panels with it?
No you cannot. I don't normally take the freedom panels off by themselves anyways. When I want to go top off completely, I only need to disconnect the two feet on the freedom panels, then lift the back and rack off as one.
Sponsored