Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking for the best place to move my family...
Needs:
Trails (with rocks) for Jeeps, mountain bikes, and hiking.
Clean, clear lakes and rivers for swimming and kayaking.
Snow to snowboard/ski.
Enough sun and warmth but not humidity.
Trees.
Actual mountains.
...I’ve lived all over but haven’t found that forever place.
Maybe, I’m just a gypsy.
You're already in North Carolina, just move up to the mountains.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Maybe he was eye rolling because at least two of the four corners states are colossal shitholes. Also none them check the boxes OP was looking for.
Its completely possible I interpreted his reply wrong.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Billings was the smelliest, most polluted city in MT because of the coal and gas refineries.
Bozeman and Missoula are fantastic.
+1 on Bozeman. Stayed there for 4 weeks once and I'd love to move there.

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
North Georgia should have everything your looking for.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking for the best place to move my family...
Needs:
Trails (with rocks) for Jeeps, mountain bikes, and hiking.
Clean, clear lakes and rivers for swimming and kayaking.
Snow to snowboard/ski.
Enough sun and warmth but not humidity.
Trees.
Actual mountains.
...I’ve lived all over but haven’t found that forever place.
Maybe, I’m just a gypsy.
So where are you in NC... I'm an hour to the west of Asheville and it great here, short on snow but you drive to it in your Jeep. BUT my base is FL for tax reasons. I would say TN eastern mountains as less taxes and TN is a nice friendly state.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'd be interested in hearing why you think CT is a good place to live. I ask as I encounter very negative perspective on a daily basis that tells me otherwise. What part of the state do you live in? Not saying your wrong by any means but rather would like someone to show me the right side of things here.
I live in Fairfield County. What negative perspective do you encounter daily that isn't a click-bait, politically motivated article? Like you, I've lived here most of my life, having only departed for 5 years to live in MA. For all the constant noise about "pensions are going to bankrupt the state!" and "I'm moving out if they approve tolls!" tell me what's really impacting your day-to-day? I'm just as happy living here as I was 30 years ago. For all the praise our neighbors in MA seem to get (they legalized pot, after all), I'm here to tell you that living in MA felt just like living in CT... it was just colder and the people had a funny accent and were worse drivers.

CT offers lots of variation in a very small area - large cities, quaint New England towns, rural farms, shoreline, lake front, etc. We're in very close proximity to *lots* of great places to visit. We have some of the best public education in the country. We have excellent colleges and universities. We have a much lower crime rate than most of the country. We're progressive and well educated. You get the idea... I don't have to tell you, because you live here. It's far from horrible.

Our economy has been sluggish and cost of entry can be high, no doubt. It's a shame that our government leaders have done such a poor job attracting and retaining business (we miss you, GE), but all things ebb and flow; I'm confident that things will eventually swing back in the other direction with regard to our local economy.

Don't get me wrong
You said "Don't live here, it's horrible." How else was should I have interpreted that?

Going for top down drives you can find some great roads. Beaches are decent but I do wish we could drive on with the Jeep.
You're conflating two separate topics. CT is not a great state for off-roading, but PA and NY are close by and have awesome, legal off-road parks. If your original reply was something along the lines of, "CT has limited off-road opportunity, so don't move here if that is very important to you" I would have nodded my head and moved on. Saying that CT is horrible, however, is just inaccurate.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
If you are willing to move North of the border, Vancouver's got it all. :)
In fact, during certain months, you can enjoy both water sports and snow sports at the same time.
That is pretty place... too cool only have a month of summer.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That is pretty place... too cool only have a month of summer.
Lol Vancouver is not like rest of Canada. The mountains and ocean shields it from most of the cold fronts. It’s more like 4 month of summer.. 5 if you can wing it to October.

Last edited:

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Lol Vancouver is not like rest of Canada. The mountains and ocean shields it from most of the cold fronts. It’s more like 4 month of summer.. 5 if you can wing it to October.
Well I'm a Florida boy and it is the other extreme to me.

OP
OP
Rubidozer

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
In today’s world, political climate would weigh heavily on wherever I decided to move to. Not happening though, my family has been on the same spot since 1795. My roots are too deep here to pull up.
I am often asked, “Where are you from?”
My response is... “Earth.”
I’m not going to regret what I haven’t seen and my kids love the experiences we share.
My roots go everywhere all over this globe.