Mudflaps and Rubicon Flares?

kidintraffic

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Overall fit and finish is good? I am considering them. It would be nice to not have mud and dirt get thrown on the sides. I am about 45 min away from Weathetech and they install there. I am considering driving over to the factory to have them install a set.
Fit and finish is great. I installed them for the same reason, wanted to save my doors from getting rocks, salt, etc. thrown up on them from the tires.
Sponsored

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion
I installed the front Weathertechs on my '20 JLR. The install was straight forward and the instructions were clear. It took me less than 30 minutes to install them. Sorry, I don't have any pictures, but there are some throughout this thread.

https://www.weathertech.com/jeep/2020/wrangler/mudflap-no-drill-digitalfit/wrangler-trim-/rubicon/
Is anyone using the weather tech flaps on 35 inch or bigger tires?

I am driving a lot in snow this month and the extra tread width is shooting chunks all over the place !

It’s actually crazy to watch it fly around as I drive, but the jeep is filthy

Hoping the weather-techs are wide enough as they seem way more affordable than the rock blox...

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone wanting to know if mudflaps make a difference; I performed the following test with my brand new 2020 Rubicon 2dr by driving a few hundred yards in shallow mud.
My set up:
35 inch tires
3 inch lift
Weathertech Rubicon front mudflap on driver side only.

My conclusion is that while the weather tech mudflaps were very well designed, they are not going to save me from going to the car wash any less frequently than running without them.

The spray was slightly less (and lower on the vehicle sides) with the flap, but not significant enough to warrant taking them on and off for rock climbing.

Pics are attached.

F8F547B2-8D3B-475A-8615-F11D40B49469.jpeg

835CDF38-6BB4-422A-9576-9788C5E08DDB.jpeg

174832B0-39B8-460C-A9CA-4ED8B1A12C05.jpeg

D708F520-2B5D-4CD3-9879-07D48E734C88.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I got them more for blocking rocks and heavier sand. The aerodynamic flow off the Jeep fenders curves back in, so it will always get splashed with water and mud. It just goes right under or around the guards. On my JK, they did reduce some of the sand and rock blasting to part of the frame.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
That was a smart test. Not a very significant difference. I wonder if Rock blockz would perform any better.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
That was a smart test. Not a very significant difference. I wonder if Rock blockz would perform any better.
Probably. The Rockblockz look to be wider. You can also order even wider oversize flaps from them.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. I got them more for blocking rocks and heavier sand. The aerodynamic flow off the Jeep fenders curves back in, so it will always get splashed with water and mud. It just goes right under or around the guards. On my JK, they did reduce some of the sand and rock blasting to part of the frame.
I wonder if it's aerodynamics? I think it might be the edges of the front tires when turning that throws up debris? I might be wrong though? It would be fun to see high speed video of it. If only Myth Busters would do a episode on this? lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone wanting to know if mudflaps make a difference; I performed the following test with my brand new 2020 Rubicon 2dr by driving a few hundred yards in shallow mud.
My set up:
35 inch tires
3 inch lift
Weathertech Rubicon front mudflap on driver side only.

My conclusion is that while the weather tech mudflaps were very well designed, they are not going to save me from going to the car wash any less frequently than running without them.

The spray was slightly less (and lower on the vehicle sides) with the flap, but not significant enough to warrant taking them on and off for rock climbing.

Pics are attached.

F8F547B2-8D3B-475A-8615-F11D40B49469.jpeg

835CDF38-6BB4-422A-9576-9788C5E08DDB.jpeg

174832B0-39B8-460C-A9CA-4ED8B1A12C05.jpeg

D708F520-2B5D-4CD3-9879-07D48E734C88.jpeg
Too bad the Weathertech flaps did not work well because it looked like a nice product for the price. I almost bought them but had a issue with fit because I have steps.

I went to the Weathertech retail store wanting a set. They install them for $30. They could no install for me. It was a no-go for me because I installed Mopar side steps on my JLR. The step was in the way. The front flaps did not fit because of the steps. Had to get a refund on the spot. Weathertech is a great company. Great service.

I will say the Mopar step blocks a LOT of the debris from the front wheels. Way more then your pics. I drove through some muddy roads a few days ago. My JLR is still filthy. I will post pics later before washing it off.

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d be interested to know the answer to your question. I would have liked to try the rock blockZ size XL but they were just too pricey. Please feel free to post some comparative pics and let us know if you got size XL or regular and also what size tires you are running.

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
Great test @Off-Road Toad and like the comparison of driver vs passenger side at the same time. I have contemplated mud flaps and/or roam rails to limit the side spray. Based on this I don't think the flaps will give much added value and may go solely with roam rails to limit some of the spray but also stop some un-needed door dings from people parking too close.

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Too bad the Weathertech flaps did not work well because it looked like a nice product for the price. I almost bought them but had a issue with fit because I have steps.

I went to the Weathertech retail store wanting a set. They install them for $30. They could no install for me. It was a no-go for me because I installed Mopar side steps on my JLR. The step was in the way. The front flaps did not fit because of the steps. Had to get a refund on the spot. Weathertech is a great company. Great service.

I will say the Mopar step blocks a LOT of the debris from the front wheels. Way more then your pics. I drove through some muddy roads a few days ago. My JLR is still filthy. I will post pics later before washing it off.
Are you talking about Mopar Performance Rock Rails?

I’d be interested to know the answer to your question. I would have liked to try the rock blockZ size XL but they were just too pricey. Please feel free to post some comparative pics and let us know if you got size XL or regular and also what size tires you are running.
I have not bought yet. Still trying decide. Maybe Mopar Performance Rock Rails is good enough for me and would prevent mounting mud flaps anyway.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about Mopar Performance Rock Rails?

I have not bought yet. Still trying decide. Maybe Mopar Performance Rock Rails is good enough for me and would prevent mounting mud flaps anyway.
No, the regular Mopar steps.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Here are weather tech flaps on a 2dr Rubicon that is not lifted. Standard 33 tires. It's a little harder to see with the granite color.
It blocks more than the pics above on the lifted jeep with 35's. It's ok but I am a disappointed. I had the mopar flaps on my JK rubicon and they did a much better job. And the jk rubicon rock rails probably helped also even with a gap in them.

IMG_0364.jpeg

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Here are weather tech flaps on a 2dr Rubicon that is not lifted. Standard 33 tires. It's a little harder to see with the granite color.
It blocks more than the pics above on the lifted jeep with 35's. It's ok but I am a disappointed. I had the mopar flaps on my JK rubicon and they did a much better job. And the jk rubicon rock rails probably helped also even with a gap in them.

IMG_0364.jpeg

I 100% agree with what BDJeep1 said.

I have the WeatherTech mud flaps on my 2 door JL Rubicon, and I also had the Mopar mud flaps on my '12 JK Rubicon with 33" KM2's, and the Mopar mud flaps definitely kept more crap off the doors than the WeatherTech do.

Having said that, I do like the WeatherTech mud flaps because they just look better than the other options for the Rubicon, and they do help keep most of the snow, mud and what not off the door handles.

Deerhorn

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Just installed the Rocblokz XL and Go Rhino D6 on our Rubicon in an effort to limit rock damage to the door hinges and rear fenders. First test: Gave the jeep a nice wash after installation and headed into town. Just two miles down the road we hit road work with a mix of asphalt and mud. Drove through and when we got to our destination.......wala! nothing on the jeep at all. Had some on the tires, but nothing up the sides of the punkin. Happy Jeeper!
Sponsored