Transfer case leak

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Hello Everyone, as the title states I have a leak ..noticed a small puddle of pink fluid. I crawled under the jeep and saw a few drips clinging to the under side of transfer case. At first I thought it might be coolant but checked all connections I could find and they looked fine. Is there a way for me to monitor transmission fluid while waiting to have it checked? could not find anything in searches.
Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
There is a fill plug on the side undue it and stick your pinky in. Try to have it leveled and maybe wait 30mins before testing it. If it comes out covered in oil you are still good.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Was it gear oil? If not, it's not coming out of your tcase.

The coolant in the JLs is pink. If what you found on the floor is watery, it could be coolant. Not sure what color the auto tranny fluid is...I think there was a video here about the really convoluted process to fill the ZF.
The t-case should take ATF. That could be construed as pink

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Was it gear oil? If not, it's not coming out of your tcase.

The coolant in the JLs is pink. If what you found on the floor is watery, it could be coolant. Not sure what color the auto tranny fluid is...I think there was a video here about the really convoluted process to fill the ZF.
So I have a Manual transmission and the fluid was basically an oil that had a redish pink color..I don't believe it is coolant as there was no sign of it leaking anywhere around hoses etc... besides it did not appear to be that pink it was more of a redish and it was oily with no smell. it was a minimal amount.... and when I looked under the jeep it appeared to be coming from a drain nut under transfer case. there were a few drops hanging there like a heavy oil like transmission fluid would do. I can't get an appointment till next week and since this is my DD I am a little freaked..specially since my commute is 50 miles a day. Thanks to the both of you for replying ..I'll keep u in the loop as to what transpires.

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
The t-case should take ATF. That could be construed as pink
My initial thought was it could be the coolant but I am now pretty sure its ATF ...is there any other way to monitor how much is in there bsides sticking my pinky in the side plug?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I just read a service bulletin ( TSB 21-021-19) on another post about transfer case oil leak.. Should I not drive the Jeep? I am still under warranty and don't want to run it with the idea it could have leaked out a lot without me knowing. I just happened to notice today because it was sunny..I usually am at work in the wee hours before the sun comes up and get home after dark.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s ATF+4 from either your transmission or transfer case.

If it makes you feel any better, my YJ came to me from the previous owner with a bone dry transfer case... no fluid whatsoever. I thought I was lucky and had an old jeep that didnā€™t leak but it turns out it didnā€™t leak because it was dry.

Anyway, it survived however long he had driven it dry (probably over a year) and was fine once I added fluid. Yours losing a few drops wonā€™t kill it until you can take it in.

0ABE317C-F896-43AF-BF85-F230942CDE13.jpeg

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Thatā€™s ATF+4 from either your transmission or transfer case.

If it makes you feel any better, my YJ came to me from the previous owner with a bone dry transfer case... no fluid whatsoever. I thought I was lucky and had an old jeep that didnā€™t leak but it turns out it didnā€™t leak because it was dry.

Anyway, it survived however long he had driven it dry (probably over a year) and was fine once I added fluid. Yours losing a few drops wonā€™t kill it until you can take it in.

0ABE317C-F896-43AF-BF85-F230942CDE13.jpeg
Thanks so much Multiicam!!!! I will rest easy!! It is a small leak, I just was not sure specially with this being newish. Thanks again you made my night!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My initial thought was it could be the coolant but I am now pretty sure its ATF ...is there any other way to monitor how much is in there bsides sticking my pinky in the side plug?
The two will feel very different- coolant has the consistency of water; ATF will feel oily and is more viscous. Thereā€™s no way to check transfer case fluid levels from inside the cab, but the pinky method is pretty easy.

I just read a service bulletin ( TSB 21-021-19) on another post about transfer case oil leak.. Should I not drive the Jeep? I am still under warranty and don't want to run it with the idea it could have leaked out a lot without me knowing. I just happened to notice today because it was sunny..I usually am at work in the wee hours before the sun comes up and get home after dark.
I have a similar schedule and now Iā€™m going to pay more attention to mine! Next weekend, anyway.

Thanks so much Multiicam!!!! I will rest easy!! It is a small leak, I just was not sure specially with this being newish. Thanks again you made my night!
Sure, no problem. It may be worth checking for peace of mind though. Like I alluded to in my post, if it stops leaking without you or a dealer fixing it, then itā€™s time to worry!

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
The two will feel very different- coolant has the consistency of water; ATF will feel oily and is more viscous. Thereā€™s no way to check transfer case fluid levels from inside the cab, but the pinky method is pretty easy.

I have a similar schedule and now Iā€™m going to pay more attention to mine! Next weekend, anyway.

Sure, no problem. It may be worth checking for peace of mind though. Like I alluded to in my post, if it stops leaking without you or a dealer fixing it, then itā€™s time to worry!
I'll do the pinky test tomorrow, honestly reading your post put me at ease! I am usually pretty hands on and this Jeep seems to have me on eggshells..not sure why.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Seriously? The Rok-Trac (or however you spell it) takes ATF, not gear oil?

**EDIT** obviously so...based on the owner's manual pic multicam posted.

Odd...never heard of a case worth a shit taking ATF. Times are a changing, lol.
No t-case since the '70s and really nothing since 1980 has taken gear oil. For the most part (and I'm sure there are exceptions) if it's chain driven, it's ATF

I think it was 1980 EVERY model of GM truck was the NP208 (in '81 there were options and maybe some were again the NP203 or 205). But NP208 = ATF.

Fords also with the new '80-86 body style in '80 were NP208, then BW1345 and BW1356. All ATF

If its an alloy case (aluminum or magnesium like the Borg Warners) and/or chain drive (they tend to be mutually exclusive), it's ATF

The one oddball is the NV261 in GMT800s. I had one in an '02 Silverado 1500. No one really figured out why (including the ATSG), but they'd boil off their ATF over time. When I checked mine I got a tiny trickle of black, burnt ATF. The unofficial fix (even per ATSG)? Fill with 5W-30 and don't look back. Seriously. And it works. I did open mine up (and installed a pump rub kit while I was there, even though it didn't need it) but it was BEAUTIFUL inside. edit: the NP263 is same thing, just electric shit

OP: you're WAY too worried. A few drips of mystery fluid is NOTHING. You'll be fine. Very fine. See if you can snug the drain plug as that's where you see the leak.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello Everyone, as the title states I have a leak ..noticed a small puddle of pink fluid. I crawled under the jeep and saw a few drips clinging to the under side of transfer case. At first I thought it might be coolant but checked all connections I could find and they looked fine. Is there a way for me to monitor transmission fluid while waiting to have it checked? could not find anything in searches.
Hi Rico,
Are you considering having your dealer take a look? If so, please feel free to PM us if additional support is needed throughout your service visit.
Alex
JeepCares

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Hi Rico,
Are you considering having your dealer take a look? If so, please feel free to PM us if additional support is needed throughout your service visit.
Alex
JeepCares
Hi Alex, thanks much for reaching out! I think It is all set ..thanks again

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously? The Rok-Trac (or however you spell it) takes ATF, not gear oil?

**EDIT** obviously so...based on the owner's manual pic multicam posted.

Odd...never heard of a case worth a shit taking ATF. Times are a changing, lol.
Hmmm... every Wrangler and Cherokee I know of takes the ATF +4

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Small leak or not you need to find out where it's coming from. I mean, personally, I'm not cool paying $40-$50k for a vehicle and having ANY leak.
Look to where the t-case mates to the transmission. If it is coming from that location there is a TSB that addresses this. It's a simple bolt swap and proper torquing of the new bolts. TSB 21-021-19

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...v-a-transfer-case-oil-leak-may-15-2019.34620/
Sponsored