Sponsored

Saddleback Saturday

Trek68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Living in Orange County, I've always wanted to drive to the top of Saddleback Mountain. For those not familiar, Saddleback is comprised of two highest peaks in the Santa Ana Mountains; Santiago (5,689ft) and Mojeska (5,496ft). From most vantage points in Orange County, the two peaks form a 'saddle'.

Full disclosure, I hiked to the top with my wife several years back and vowed the next time I go up I would be driving. It was a tough hike and not made easier with the heat and flys/gnats that seemed to get worse as we climbed in elevation...but I digress.

I started the drive up via Maple Springs Road (5S04) around 6:30AM. Only saw a few hikers on the trail and no other vehicles until I started the trip back down. Had the peak to myself for about an hour where I stopped long enough to take some photos and finish my coffee. Was pleasantly surprised to find there was still some snow on the trail.

IMG_0004.jpg

For those in OC who are looking for a local getaway and have not made the trip up, I highly recommend it.

Although this was a spur of the moment decision, I'll post here the next time I'm headed up to see if anyone else wants to tag along. Aside from a couple of loose and/or snowy spots, I was in 2WD the majority of the way up.
IMG_0770.JPEG

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Nice way to start the weekend. :like:
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much for sharing this!

How long did it take to get to the top once you got on Maple Springs?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Wow im suprised theres still snow up there, or even that the gates are open. The so cal nazis always have it under lock and key most of the time. When its open love doing that though. Specially when theres bad traffic... up and over way more fun lol

OP
OP
Trek68

Trek68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Another bit of info about Saddleback Mountain is the placement of video cameras by HPWREN or High Performance Wireless Research & Education Network. More info on them here. I was able to find footage from my time up top and grabbed a couple of screenshots of me arriving and departing.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 4.59.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 5.01.49 PM.png

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Wow im suprised theres still snow up there, or even that the gates are open. The so cal nazis always have it under lock and key most of the time. When its open love doing that though. Specially when theres bad traffic... up and over way more fun lol
Only one way up currently, the Corona and Ortega entries are still gated indefinitely.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Only one way up currently, the Corona and Ortega entries are still gated indefinitely.
Yeah it sucks. Im right next to the corona gate, always have to go up bedford way.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Yeah it sucks. Im right next to the corona gate, always have to go up bedford way.
You can thank that A-hole that burned down the mountain.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Been up there many times, so many I lost count. Used to sit up there with a 500watt Linear and dominate the airwaves.

Funny they show the gate closed.
Screenshot_3.png

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Been up there many times, so many I lost count. Used to sit up there with a 500watt Linear and dominate the airwaves.

Funny they show the gate closed.
Screenshot_3.png
Use the AllTrails app, it stays fairly up to date and shows Maple Spring open.
Since it is currently the ONLY access road up there, they do close for bad weather because they cannot take the chance the road being torn up and leaving zero access to the towers.

Sponsored

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Use the AllTrails app, it stays fairly up to date and shows Maple Spring open.
Since it is currently the ONLY access road up there, they do close for bad weather because they cannot take the chance the road being torn up and leaving zero access to the towers.
I do use the altralls app as well as other sources. Altrails shows Wildomar still closed but it was opened back up yesterday. LOL Got to love goverment, can get accurate info out for sure.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Gate was open this weekend, took a nice drive up to the 2nd tower in Sunday morning. A bit hazy and less snow for sure, it was a busy road that morning.