Adventures in towing: Sport S & 2 Vespas

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
We found out a few days before our long distance move that our movers couldn't transport our vintage Vespas (2 stroke 200cc not hwy legal). So knowing nothing about towing we bought an old 3-rail steel motorcycle trailer on CL and winged it.

My Sahara has the tow package but I was also carrying 3 dogs & cargo so the husband did the towing on his Sport S. Stock wheels/tires/suspension with aftermarket steel front bumper and rails. 2" Tyger Auto hitch off Amazon, harness from etrailers, 3 1/4 drop ball mount attached to the 550lb trailer via 2" ball. Each scooter is 260lbs so roughly 1100 lbs tow weight.

The Sport looked like a low rider but everything transported safely. All-in it handled really well - no lagging or issues up hills. We should have gotten a longer ball mount to add clearance for the spare but were pressed for time. The brake light is under the trailer, making it look lower in the back in the pic but it was level.

11pm quick pic shortly before takeoff:
yb_T4rt0qIZfw82Dy5vVH7IzMEpC4-ni3iQ15W6uZ0i5i2AiZltdZ86viollR2o6CEaRuss2xKekWlu9DxU=w765-h574-no.jpg
Sponsored