Thanks - Our new Rubicon with Tire Delete and New Shoes

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this.

I have thought about the weight and a flat. I could change it but, it but my wife could not. While she can deadlift 110 pounds at the gym (she weighs 110 and is 5’1”) I would imagine that its near impossible for her to change a 35” tire given its girth. If I wasn’t nearby, the AAA man likely could change it if she was alone in the Jeep.

If you do get a flat, are you carrying a tire puncture repair kit or are you simply planning on calling for a tow? What are your thoughts there?
You would call your insurance and she would have them change it roadside vise having to get it towed somewhere and having to get a ride.

With a spare, whether you can change it or not you can be on your way in no time.

Without one, it’s like being stuck up a particular creek without a paddle.

Had I not had a spare a few weeks ago on the interstate I would have been screwed. Totally. Instead I still made it to work on time.

Something to think about..
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to many on this forum for ordering suggestions, wheels, dealer recommendations, and details on tire delete ideas. So far, bought a steel bumpered Rubicon with most options and deleted rear tire, and put on Method 312 17x9 -12mm offset, with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Jeep handles great around turns with wider stance. Feels more stable to me and a little more comfortable letting my teenage drivers take it around town.

20191231_163506.jpg

20191231_163544.jpg

20191231_163408.jpg

20191231_163414.jpg

20191231_163434.jpg
I like the look and glad this forum has helped you. While I’m not really for the spare delete route, that spare delete plate looks a lot better than some I’ve seen on here. Either way, you do you and enjoy your rig!

nadc451

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Hey I'm new to the jeep world. I picked up a 2018 rubicon unlimited and was curious - did you need a lift to put 35s on yours?

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

I am new to the Jeep world. I should probably understand the “spare delete” concept.

it looks good and saves some weight but why did you decide to go this route?
As an owner of a 2019 JLUR who put 35s on I have no issues seeing out the back and I also ordered mine with a MOPAR tailgate reinforcement. I don’t know why anyone would drive a Jeep without a spare tire. Flats happen all the time and to say as owner you wouldn’t be able to change it? Perhaps changing it in your driveway to learn a life skill might help you. I know that a tire delete looks cool, but to me it’s just not a safe thing to do on the road or on a trail. Unless you carry the spare in the back of the Jeep or on a roof rack. The rear HD camera works fantastic for backing up.

Sponsored

MojitoRubiJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon Mojito
Maybe interested in this route, but I’ve got a question - what about liftgate security? Can’t anyone now just open your glass with nothing to stop them?

OP
OP

marc2828

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan Turbo, Lexus GX, Audi Q3
Maybe interested in this route, but I’ve got a question - what about liftgate security? Can’t anyone now just open your glass with nothing to stop them?
If the bottom metal door is locked, you cannot open the glass. There is a lip on the glass that goes under the tailgate.

MojitoRubiJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon Mojito
If the bottom metal door is locked, you cannot open the glass. There is a lip on the glass that goes under the tailgate.
Thanks. That would work. Obviously have never tried opening the glass before with my tailgate closed...

OP
OP

marc2828

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an owner of a 2019 JLUR who put 35s on I have no issues seeing out the back and I also ordered mine with a MOPAR tailgate reinforcement. I don’t know why anyone would drive a Jeep without a spare tire. Flats happen all the time and to say as owner you wouldn’t be able to change it? Perhaps changing it in your driveway to learn a life skill might help you. I know that a tire delete looks cool, but to me it’s just not a safe thing to do on the road or on a trail. Unless you carry the spare in the back of the Jeep or on a roof rack. The rear HD camera works fantastic for backing up.
It is not that I don't know how to change a flat, it is more that I don't want to lift a 125lb tire on the side of the road with a bad back. I carry a small air compressor to fill the tires. Only a real bad sidewall tear would require a tow truck which is low probability around town.

Last edited:

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks to many on this forum for ordering suggestions, wheels, dealer recommendations, and details on tire delete ideas. So far, bought a steel bumpered Rubicon with most options and deleted rear tire, and put on Method 312 17x9 -12mm offset, with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Jeep handles great around turns with wider stance. Feels more stable to me and a little more comfortable letting my teenage drivers take it around town.

20191231_163506.jpg

20191231_163544.jpg

20191231_163408.jpg

20191231_163414.jpg

20191231_163434.jpg
Nice mall cruiser. No spare? Obviously you don't have plans to go offroad.

Sponsored

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps. All Jeeps. LJ, XJ, CJ, WK2
I'll just leave this right here. . .BTW, you don't have to have a full size spare. I do now, but when I did this, I had a 33" spare with 37" tires on the ground. I put the 33 on the front and kept driving.

Wheel 1.jpg

nadc451

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Anyone out there running the 2 L engine in there jeep that has gone up in tire size. Any issues?

OP
OP

marc2828

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone out there running the 2 L engine in there jeep that has gone up in tire size. Any issues?
I put the original Rubicon 33" tires next to the new 35's" ...the Jeep is marginally higher, about 1/2". Math doesn't quite make sense but the tire sizes are marginal. I know the circumference is larger, but we didn't modify the speedometer. At 60mph, it is off like 3 or 4 mph. The tires are much wider and with the -12mm offset, the stance is much wider. All that said, the 2L motor seems to have no difference to me before and after the tire change in terms of acceleration. I did drive the 3.6L, and found the 2L to be much more responsive.

Just my 2 cents on the motor and tires. I know I will get slammed by the "true" offroaders ...so remember what my mom always says, "if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut it!"

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

20191231_163506.jpg

20191231_163544.jpg

20191231_163408.jpg

20191231_163414.jpg

20191231_163434.jpg
who makes that spare tire delete mount?