Spline lug nuts - Gorilla vs Quadratec vs Pro Comps

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Hi guys - so bought some wheels and now time to shop for spline lug nuts. I noticed there's a significant price differences between these brands and I'd like to get some input from the forum as you guys have always been helpful. I visited a local shop in Toronto asking about Pro Comp spline lugs thinking they're a reputable company but the clerk mentioned people having rust issues w/ Pro Comp lugs and recommended Gorillas which cost twice as much. When I turned to the forums, I realized that Quadratec sells them as well and the price is comparable to Pro Comps. At this point I'm not even thinking about McGard as price seems excessive for lug nuts.

Obviously not going to sacrifice safety to save a few bucks but am I being too cheap on the wrong thing here? Welcome your thoughts. I just haven't heard any bad things about $40 lugs to want to spend on $100 lugs. Thx in advance!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hi guys - so bought some wheels and now time to shop for spline lug nuts. I noticed there's a significant price differences between these brands and I'd like to get some input from the forum as you guys have always been helpful. I visited a local shop in Toronto asking about Pro Comp spline lugs thinking they're a reputable company but the clerk mentioned people having rust issues w/ Pro Comp lugs and recommended Gorillas which cost twice as much. When I turned to the forums, I realized that Quadratec sells them as well and the price is comparable to Pro Comps. At this point I'm not even thinking about McGard as price seems excessive for lug nuts.

Obviously not going to sacrifice safety to save a few bucks but am I being too cheap on the wrong thing here? Welcome your thoughts. I just haven't heard any bad things about $40 lugs to want to spend on $100 lugs. Thx in advance!
If you can wait til Friday I should have another option that may be better & cheaper, check this thread and stay tuned :)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/looking-for-better-safer-lug-nuts.43461/

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
ProComps are working so far on my KMC XD 231 beadlocks with 37”s. Only have 1 wheeling trip and 2,000 miles on them so far...

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I have used both the gorillas and procomps. In short, or not so short... I have swapped out wheels on my truck over the years. The first set of aftermarket wheels were BMF and used gorillas, the threads were machined cleaner. I also noticed after numerous tire rotations the finish held up a lot better. I use to commute to work with it and so it sat parked less than 100 yards away from the pacific. So constant salt spray mist or what have you. So after work, I would rinse whichever vehicle I took because it is covered in what looks like white dust, but its literally salt off the ocean. Fast forwards two sets of wheels later (dumping the BMF wheels and moved to methods and finally to TR beadlocks) I have ran pro comps black spline nuts and chrome spline nuts. Threads kinda sucked. I needed to thread them with more care as not to damage stud/nut threads. The black finish comes off after so many hits from tire rotations and rust. I stopped driving the truck to work, so the chrome ones have held up fine. I chose to splurge this time on the Jeep and purchased Black Gorilla lock nuts for it. I don't drive it to work and don't put the miles on it to give up any details on how they are holding up. But from the threads alone, they seem to just line up and screw right in. I feel the quality is a bit superior.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good news, the new lug nuts are awesome! I'll post up some pics w/ details tonight!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I bought the Gorilla spline lug nuts on sale for $79 at Amazon about a year ago. Been very happy with them.

41uFydXbphL._AC_SY400_.jpg

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I bought the Gorilla spline lug nuts on sale for $79 at Amazon about a year ago. Been very happy with them.

Do you know if these work with aftermarket wheels? They look as wide as the factory nuts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you know if these work with aftermarket wheels? They look as wide as the factory nuts.
They won't unless your aftermarket wheels are AEVs, and they are as wide as stock lug nuts, check my post a few boxes up for a good option.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
The Gorilla Spline nuts work on my KMCs. I will say, it is tight fit. Its not so much where the spline themselves are, its where it bows out, then moves towards the taper. I keep the tire lifted up a little until most of the lug nuts are as hand tight as I can get them. Once they are completely centered, I have no problems. I have a removable ring around the center cap, If I cared enough I could remove it and then have no problems what so ever. I agree with blnewt overall. I was concerned with how it would fit when I purchased them.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)

The width of the Gorilla lug nuts and the OEMs look close. Unfortunately, I don't have calipers to measure them.

20181215_112606.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Last edited:

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have the USA made mcguard spline drive lugs. Very high-quality, lifetime warranty. They have a hardened seat at the end that spins so when you tighten the lug nut it does not turn against the wheel and it gives proper torque. Very unique.

35D00538-4325-4B96-AF6F-5B49930FA076.png

CD93242B-300A-41A9-92AC-71F543BEDEE1.png
Sponsored