Sponsored

Snowboard / Ski rack for JL Rubicon Unlimited

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
With snowboard ski season hopefully on the horizon what is everyone doing to carry their stuff since last we left off with this thread. Also for those mounting to the hardtop gutter rail does that approach scratch the ever scratch easy black hardtop. Pics and input appreciated.
Im just gonna slide my skis into the back. My back seat is always down
IMG_0696.JPG
Sponsored

Je3p

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Ocean Blue, 2016 Ducati Monster 821 - Silk White.
I'm also interested in seeing what people are doing without the tow package and with a soft top.. might just throw the snowboard in the car this season.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Your gear gets all grimy when you mount it on the spare. If that's your only choice then go for it. I like my gear on the roof.

OP
OP
OffRoad7

OffRoad7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited
Your gear gets all grimy when you mount it on the spare. If that's your only choice then go for it. I like my gear on the roof.
Yes, it does really get dirty! I hate this set up but this is the only option for my soft top for now. I wish somebody builds something for soft tops that can be mounted on the roof during winter

Sponsored

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
With snowboard ski season hopefully on the horizon what is everyone doing to carry their stuff since last we left off with this thread. Also for those mounting to the hardtop gutter rail does that approach scratch the ever scratch easy black hardtop. Pics and input appreciated.
I have the Mopar crossbars and will be using the Yakima fatcat. I can't see how it would scratch.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Unfortunately I need to carry passengers in the back so outside is my only option.
Hey we use the super solid old style Yakima round bars with simple Yakima roof rail mounts that work a charm. Super robust mounting system. Powderhound holds 4 skis or a couple snowboards base to base. Plus have a Yakima Pro 18 box that can fit a bunch of skis and boards and 4ā€™ recovery tracks. Have both as we plan to use the box for ski clothing etc since we need all the back seats plus have a dog in back. Everything is keyed alike and rails and box were purchased used and extremely well priced, just about like new.

Can also use most any Thule boxes.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
With a family of 3 (soon to be 4) and looking forward a few years- I may actually need a solution. I snowboard, and I would like to introduce my kids to it when they're old enough. My wife tried a few times and did ok, but I don't know if she'd be able to ski/ snowboard now (due to medical reasons). For the next couple seasons I can probably get away with tossing my gear in my Jeep, but if the rest of the family gets into it, space might be kind of tight.
@BRuby You said you use a ski box, right? How does that system work?
Did you have to drill into the hard top to mount the bars?
Can you remove the box when you're not going to the mountain?
How does the Jeep handle on the Highway with the box (noticeable wind resistance, reduction of mileage, etc)?

I have dual tops and remove the hard top in the summer, and that is my only concern is having a Skibox/ mounts that make it hard to store the hard top on my cart. Skibox would be the way for me to go because I do not want to expose my board to any of the road salt/ sludge up here.
Thanks!

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
@BRuby You said you use a ski box, right? How does that system work?
Did you have to drill into the hard top to mount the bars?
Can you remove the box when you're not going to the mountain?
How does the Jeep handle on the Highway with the box (noticeable wind resistance, reduction of mileage, etc)?

I have dual tops and remove the hard top in the summer, and that is my only concern is having a Skibox/ mounts that make it hard to store the hard top on my cart. Skibox would be the way for me to go because I do not want to expose my board to any of the road salt/ sludge up here.
Thanks!
With the Yakima round bars you connect the towers to the roof rails. The towers then lock onto the rails for theft protection. No drilling, just turn the tower knob to tighten then lock. Box and/or bar and towers can be removed any time and takes just a matter of minutes. The box has 4 connection points inside using a simple but robust latch system. Box also has a lock that you can key alike. No tools or drilling is required. Just turn knob to tighten then latch from inside.

If you move the box right aft, the wind noise is substantially reduced as it has a somewhat aerodynamic shape. So mileage is not reduced by much. But interestingly also have and use the Powderhound for skis and SB as the boxy JL shape pushes a lot of air over the rack. Skis thus stay pretty clean so not much sludge finds its way up there. Ski rack also has a lock that is keyed alike.

Check out any shop that carries Yakima or try finds on CL. Effectively you can save 50% or more off retail if you know what to look for and time it right. We saved about 70% overall buying used from a retail outlet. But then we also have 2 other Yakima racks so knew exactly what we needed when we picked up the JL.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
IMG_0696.JPG
exactly what I do. I usually ski/ride alone, my wife occasionally joins me. Only difference is I use different moving blankets.
The snowboard fits in there just fine (163cm) but my skis are 172cm and have to go in diagonal. which takes away room for bags, and my wife's gear if she's coming along so I have to stack stuff. No big deal though. Buying a rack would be a luxury, but I want a softtop for the summer more, so that $ is spent!

Between hunting season and ski season, my rear seats have been folded down since October. I'm actually thinking about removing them and putting down that flat floor.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
exactly what I do. I usually ski/ride alone, my wife occasionally joins me. Only difference is I use different moving blankets.
The snowboard fits in there just fine (163cm) but my skis are 172cm and have to go in diagonal. which takes away room for bags, and my wife's gear if she's coming along so I have to stack stuff. No big deal though. Buying a rack would be a luxury, but I want a softtop for the summer more, so that $ is spent!

Between hunting season and ski season, my rear seats have been folded down since October. I'm actually thinking about removing them and putting down that flat floor.
My skis are 172 and they go in at an angle. Moving the passenger seat up a bit , helps
IMG_0875.JPG

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR, ā€˜06 LX 100-series
IMG_0696.JPG
I use the custom Thukima Left Seat Fold Mod. I live in an apartment so shuttling equipment isnt easy especially with the kids not carrying their own stuff. I also have garage height restrictions to worry about; I donā€™t think a gutter rail and Evo FatCat setup would work. As a result, I have 4 sets of skis, boots, poles, and helmets in the Jeep at all times. Mine are 180s and fit at a slight angle (the other 3 are below 152). The boots are behind the 60% seat sitting on top of the floormats. The helmets are usually wedges between the rollcage and hardtop. The rest of the gear (mainly clothes) is in a ~100L REI duffel (that is the only this that leaves the Jeep). With all of that said, there is still a bit of room.

Iā€™m going to try to figure out how to get the shorter skis and the poles raised off the floor and fit sideway behind the seats. Maybe a canvas hammock or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I use the custom Thukima Left Seat Fold Mod. I live in an apartment so shuttling equipment isnt easy especially with the kids not carrying their own stuff. I also have garage height restrictions to worry about; I donā€™t think a gutter rail and Evo FatCat setup would work. As a result, I have 4 sets of skis, boots, poles, and helmets in the Jeep at all times. Mine are 180s and fit at a slight angle (the other 3 are below 152). The boots are behind the 60% seat sitting on top of the floormats. The helmets are usually wedges between the rollcage and hardtop. The rest of the gear (mainly clothes) is in a ~100L REI duffel (that is the only this that leaves the Jeep). With all of that said, there is still a bit of room.

Iā€™m going to try to figure out how to get the shorter skis and the poles raised off the floor and fit sideway behind the seats. Maybe a canvas hammock or something along those lines.
When I was a kid I had those suction cup ski racks that attached to your windows. Each one had a clip on top that was held on by the window fully rolled up. I guess they stopped selling them LOL. But they would be perfect. Just have to remember DON'T ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW!

But I never had any issues with them. They were cheap and you could take them off your car in 10 seconds. Winterracks.com supposedly sells them. Internet filter won't let me see the webpage though.