Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had a chance to take it off road yet, but the Quadratec Engine and transmission skid plate I installed last week seems stout and up to the task. Plus it's modular so I can add the transfer case skid later if I feel inclined to do so. It's also made of aluminum so I'm not adding much weight to the Jeep. :like:

8517F971-0F3B-4BD3-BDCA-D001B250D876.jpeg
Does the Quadratec engine/transmission skid plate cover the exhaust loop that hangs low?
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Metalcloak undercloak on my 2019, to try something different I went with the Motobilt on my 2020. I had some very hard hits on the Metalcloak system on very hard and sharp AZ rocks and never had any issues. A very good product.

my Motobilt on the other hand had the engine skid deform and damage my exhaust on the passenger side with just a small hit on dirt (tire rut on a hill). I could not get in touch with anyone at Motobilt, and ended up using a grinder to get myself just enough clearance to put the skid back on without it causing any more damage. A few weeks later my local shop was able to get a new engine skid sent out to replace it, but in the meantime I took it to Sand Hollow. While there, the skid bent even more, this time causing damage to both the drivers and passenger side exhaust tube crossover. It was such a bad bend in the skid I ended up having to remove it on the trail so I could keep driving. It was putting a lot of pressure on the manifold, so I did not want to risk any more damage. It put a big crease / dent in the exhaust tubes, and almost put a hole in it.

right now I am running with no skid at all in front as I am able to reinstall the factory skid with the Motobilt center section in place. Once I get the replacement I will see if the design has changed or not to make it hold up better. Between the Motobilt and the Metalcloak, the Metalcloak held up way better for me. If I was to purchase a system over again I would go with Metalcloak, or maybe even another brand made out of Aluminum that was just for the engine section to save some weight. I am still hopeful to get it back together, but it has been quite some time and still awaiting the replacement skid. I am close to pulling the Motobilt off all the way and going back to stock until I am ready to get something else.

I have another post on here with a more detailed write up and pictures if you are interested.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I believe he was speaking of the exhaust section that is circled in red.

2F272688-37B9-4D28-9A72-7EC5E525FD49.jpeg

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I believe he was speaking of the exhaust section that is circled in red.

2F272688-37B9-4D28-9A72-7EC5E525FD49.jpeg
That cover the part that crosses over, under the transmission.

The part I always talking about is the loop where the lift is on the frame in the top part if the picture.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That cover the part that crosses over, under the transmission.

The part I always talking about is the loop where the lift is on the frame in the top part if the picture.
Is that really even an issue with it being that high up?

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, my bad. Looks like I need to buy yet another skid plate. :facepalm:
Yeah, that loop is a vulnerable part. Thereā€™s a post on here somewhere where someone recently hit theirs resulting in a manifold exhaust leak and crushed pipes.
Hereā€™s the only solution I found: https://www.quadratec.com/p/skid-row-offroad/curly-exhaust-guard-jeep-wrangler-jl

edit: found the thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/advisory-keep-your-exhaust-loop-pipe-safe.18690/

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, that loop is a vulnerable part. Thereā€™s a post on here somewhere where someone recently hit theirs resulting in a manifold exhaust leak and crushed pipes.
Hereā€™s the only solution I found: https://www.quadratec.com/p/skid-row-offroad/curly-exhaust-guard-jeep-wrangler-jl

edit: found the thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/advisory-keep-your-exhaust-loop-pipe-safe.18690/
Looks like that skid plate from Quadratec will be the final piece to my skid plate puzzle... For now...

FC5A0A96-C62E-4970-921E-B06B667E9269.jpeg

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
During the wait for my Bikini JLR to arrive I decided on most of the mods/upgrades I wanted. Selecting a skid plate package is a bit more challenging however due to many manufacturers not offering products for 2-door JL's...My 'must haves' are strength, maximum clearance and they be American made.

Another consideration, more important for those in Arizona (due to our extreme summer temps...115+ is normal) is the potential for heat trapping and subsequent overheating problems that some of the 'full belly pan' designs may exacerbate.

Any members, vendors or manufacturers who wish to chime in would be much appreciated!
Sponsored