Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have this issue? The locker holds air just fine all day long, compressor wont kick on, but when I deactivate it it spits out oil from the solenoid for awhile. I've cleaned out the line no more oil in it just light mist now. I also rerouted my diff breather tube up higher and got rid of the (valve) on the end of it and added a more free flowing filter type. Just curious if anyone would know what could cause it besides excess pressure build up or faulty o-rings. but the o-rings don't leak air. So I'm stumped.
Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Anyone have this issue? The locker holds air just fine all day long, compressor wont kick on, but when I deactivate it it spits out oil from the solenoid for awhile. I've cleaned out the line no more oil in it just light mist now. I also rerouted my diff breather tube up higher and got rid of the (valve) on the end of it and added a more free flowing filter type. Just curious if anyone would know what could cause it besides excess pressure build up or faulty o-rings. but the o-rings don't leak air. So I'm stumped.
I haven't had this issue yet, but I've read about a lot of others having this happen over time. I made up this little contraption to baffle the solenoid output and act as a little catch can. My air setup is inside and didn't want to ruin the soft top windows if a little fluid found its way to the solenoid.

IMG_0015 2.jpeg

IMG_0015 3.jpeg

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had this issue yet, but I've read about a lot of others having this happen over time. I made up this little contraption to baffle the solenoid output and act as a little catch can. My air setup is inside and didn't want to ruin the soft top windows if a little fluid found its way to the solenoid.

IMG_0015 2.jpeg

IMG_0015 3.jpeg
Great idea. Mines inside as well, got my carpet all oily lol. Mind sharing the parts you used? Might do the same. Havent had much of an issue after re-routing the diff breather with a more free flowing vent. But not super confident it wont happen again.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Great idea. Mines inside as well, got my carpet all oily lol. Mind sharing the parts you used? Might do the same. Havent had much of an issue after re-routing the diff breather with a more free flowing vent. But not super confident it wont happen again.
Sure thing.

Picked up and assortment of these anodized pill containers from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR4YZJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then drilled and tapped it for push to connect air fittings. The solenoid and mesh silencer are m5- .8mm thread. Here's the elbow I used. https://www.mcmaster.com/5225k566

Then drilled/tapped the cap and put the mesh silencer there. For baffling I just loosely packed it with some coiled brass. https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltroni...22790&sprefix=soldering+iron+c,aps,137&sr=8-8

I know others have also just run the exhaust to the outside of the tub. Not sure where your air setup is. But if its under the seat you may be able to route a line through one of the drain plugs or something. Anyways, hope this helps!

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Sure thing.

Picked up and assortment of these anodized pill containers from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR4YZJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then drilled and tapped it for push to connect air fittings. The solenoid and mesh silencer are m5- .8mm thread. Here's the elbow I used. https://www.mcmaster.com/5225k566

Then drilled/tapped the cap and put the mesh silencer there. For baffling I just loosely packed it with some coiled brass. https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltronics-BC-10-Solder-Cleaning-Wire/dp/B00NS49LPU/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2TV5405HO38P2&keywords=soldering+iron+cleaner+brass&qid=1577722790&sprefix=soldering+iron+c,aps,137&sr=8-8

I know others have also just run the exhaust to the outside of the tub. Not sure where your air setup is. But if its under the seat you may be able to route a line through one of the drain plugs or something. Anyways, hope this helps!
Awesome man, big help thanks i appreciate it

Sponsored

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
If a locker isn't run for an extended mileage, it is possible that some fluid might migrate up the line. The finish on the bearing journal is designed to not allow much, if any, oil pumping into the seal housing. If I see oil going up the line, it's usually an older locker or it has grooves in the journal from the bearing getting pressed on poorly. Any groove in the journal will cause oil pumping into the seal housing between the o-rings.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Oil going up an airline could be a couple different things, the most common are:

1) Plugged vent line. The housing is building pressure and it can't vent through the vent line, so it blows past the rings and up the air line.

2) Excess oil used during installation, it gets trapped in the seal collar and works its way out each time you release the air locker.

3) Not enough preload in the carrier bearings and the air locker is moving back and forth (ever so slightly) along with the seal collar, not letting the o-rings seal properly and oil to work past.

If it is puking oil after a long, hot drive, then it could be #1.
If you blow out the line and the oil doesn't come back, then it was probably #2.
If it does it occasionally and mostly after you've been operating the air locker, then it is probably #3.

Of course there are other reasons, those are the most common on an Air Locker if it is purging oil up the airline BUT it is not leaking air.

A new air locker shouldn't have any grooves in it to leak oil passed, unless it was damaged during installation. I just rebuilt a 20 year old air locker a couple weeks ago that had polish marks from 20 years of spining on the seals and it still holds air and oil just fine.

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Oil going up an airline could be a couple different things, the most common are:

1) Plugged vent line. The housing is building pressure and it can't vent through the vent line, so it blows past the rings and up the air line.

2) Excess oil used during installation, it gets trapped in the seal collar and works its way out each time you release the air locker.

3) Not enough preload in the carrier bearings and the air locker is moving back and forth (ever so slightly) along with the seal collar, not letting the o-rings seal properly and oil to work past.

If it is puking oil after a long, hot drive, then it could be #1.
If you blow out the line and the oil doesn't come back, then it was probably #2.
If it does it occasionally and mostly after you've been operating the air locker, then it is probably #3.

Of course there are other reasons, those are the most common on an Air Locker if it is purging oil up the airline BUT it is not leaking air.

A new air locker shouldn't have any grooves in it to leak oil passed, unless it was damaged during installation. I just rebuilt a 20 year old air locker a couple weeks ago that had polish marks from 20 years of spining on the seals and it still holds air and oil just fine.
Cool thanks for the detailed info! Ive been watching it for a few thousand miles now. Used it a few times in some spots, have not had an issue since clearing the line of oil and re-routing the vent/changing the vent style. Im thinking it was a mix of #1 and 2, so far. Still keeping an eye on it. Thanks again

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Cool thanks for the detailed info! Ive been watching it for a few thousand miles now. Used it a few times in some spots, have not had an issue since clearing the line of oil and re-routing the vent/changing the vent style. Im thinking it was a mix of #1 and 2, so far. Still keeping an eye on it. Thanks again
Read this on ARB's site about drainage.
Sponsored

Attachments