Bump stops or new shocks after 1.5in spacer lift

CaffeineAddict

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Renegade Limited
Hey guys, I've been wondering if a mild spacer lift like the Teraflex 1.5in (2" in the front) would require new (longer) shocks or bump stops on a JLU Sahara.
I watched an installation video at extremeterrain.com and they had to pull the shocks almost all the way down to reassemble the bolts after they installed the spacers. As the shocks are now extended by 1.5" (2" in the front) compared to stock, they also have less room to travel downwards before they reach their maximum extension.
So if the vehicle goes offroad and into heavy articulation and lifts a wheel, a huge amount of force is pulling downwards on the already maxed out shock, because the upward travel of the opposite wheel is still applying pressure on the axle, am I getting this right?
That doesn't sound too good for the suspension, but since 1.5'' isn't that much, I was wondering if the stock shocks might be long enough to compensate for the 1.5'' spacers, so that the coil on the wheel going up is fully compressed and therefore prevents further articulation BEFORE the shock on the opposite side is maxed out.

Does anyone have experience with that topic or may even be running a 1.5'' spacer kit in their JLs?
Thank you for your advice :)
Sponsored

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I have it and decided to pass on the longer shocks knowing that if I hit trouble, I can always replace. Knowing that, Iā€™m also not in an area where I rock climb - mostly just trails so I knew going in I wouldnā€™t have huge articulation. So far Iā€™ve had zero problems.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The reality is the factory shocks are already pretty short. If you lift the front 2" without changing the shocks or adding extensions you're going to beat those shocks up.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
If new shocks aren't an option for you, you can consider shock extensions.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You need bumpstops regardless of shock choice. Have to keep the coil from over-compressing. With the spacer this becomes a bigger issue and you need to add bump stop equal to the height of the spacer.
Sponsored