Snatch Blocks - which to buy?

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Back to the OP's question, here is what I consider to be the "best of breed" pulley block. Safe Xtract.

This is the pinnacle in safety and performance for a snatch block. A snatch block is a pulley with side plates (cheeks) that can be opened to reeve the line into the block. Their patent pending “X-Lock” is used to shorten winch lines, belay, connect lines, and distribute loads in bridle configurations. This block has a WLL (working load limit) of 20000 LB and is more than enough for any Jeep recovery situation you will ever encounter.

Safe-Xtract pulley blocks are currently in service with US SOCOM units. They have been validated by the Nevada Automotive Test Center for US Special Operations Command, and have been selected by the US Army’s 1st Special Forces Regiment to be the pulley block training standard within US Army Special Forces Groups. They were selected for use by the West Virginia Army National Guard Mobility Testing Center for Special Operations Ground Mobility training, and have been certified for use by several other specialized Government Agencies.

Buy once. Cry once.

71331215_1395698127247010_3842379675460435968_n.jpg

IMG_1560__59297.1558150093.1280.1280.jpg

http://www.asroffroad.com/20-000-lb-safe-xtract-pulley-block/
Sponsored

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Smittybilt makes great recovery products, and a lot less expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2...1_1?keywords=2744+winch&qid=1576514743&sr=8-1

#1 on Amazon. I know, doesn't mean it's the best, however it's very solid, 17k lbs, saved me a couple times already. Had to do a completely sideways pull a couple months ago due to a very slippery side hill tight trail. Lots of fun.

On a durability note, I have synthetic line on my SB X20 winch. Do Not let someone with a wire winch line borrow your snatch block. It will leave burrs in the mechanism and degrade your synthetic line.

terryb

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Without a doubt the factor55 pulley. Just switched out my Warn with one and love it. Lighter weight, smaller than traditional pulley, made in the good ol' USA, innovative design using a soft shackle and a solid recovery gear company. The weight does matter a lot when I'm climbing up a mud-covered hill, pulling my winch line, carrying a tree strap, shackle and my fat ass. Expensive, but worth it.

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Smittybilt makes great recovery products, and a lot less expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2...1_1?keywords=2744+winch&qid=1576514743&sr=8-1

#1 on Amazon. I know, doesn't mean it's the best, however it's very solid, 17k lbs, saved me a couple times already. Had to do a completely sideways pull a couple months ago due to a very slippery side hill tight trail. Lots of fun.

On a durability note, I have synthetic line on my SB X20 winch. Do Not let someone with a wire winch line borrow your snatch block. It will leave burrs in the mechanism and degrade your synthetic line.
SmittyBuilt stuff is mediocre at best. #1 on Amazon means they can afford to pay to play for reviews - it is not "earned".

Nothing SmittyBuilt is "buy it once..." level of quality. Most of it is built in China.

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
SmittyBuilt stuff is mediocre at best. #1 on Amazon means they can afford to pay to play for reviews - it is not "earned".

Nothing SmittyBuilt is "buy it once..." level of quality. Most of it is built in China.
This.

Friends don't let friends buy Shittybuilt. Especially when it comes to recovery gear that can seriously injure or kill when it fails.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Without a doubt the factor55 pulley. Just switched out my Warn with one and love it. Lighter weight, smaller than traditional pulley, made in the good ol' USA, innovative design using a soft shackle and a solid recovery gear company. The weight does matter a lot when I'm climbing up a mud-covered hill, pulling my winch line, carrying a tree strap, shackle and my fat ass. Expensive, but worth it.
It's super sexy but I prefer the more conventional snatch setup but I suspect it's because I'm not a big soft-shackle fan - yet.

I get the logic that if we've replaced wire rope with synthetic rope why can't we replace metal shackles with soft shackles but I'm old and stubborn. I also get that heavy things flying due to a failure while under tension is bad. I've seen the aftermath of a hard shackle and wire rope when a tree strap snapped.

I need to go into the woods with no hard shackles and a couple soft shackles and get really stuck. That way I prove it to myself they are the new way and move forward.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I am a bit of a “buy once and cry once” kind of guy so I typically buy the best quality that I can afford. Every now and then, there are products that are very good that do not break the bank and seem to be worthy of taking a chance on which may not be “ultra name brand”.

I am slowly adding to my recovery tools and will be adding a snatch block to the kit. I like the design of a forged steel snatch block and I see three models which catch my eye.

BPA-Racing - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXD4ZD5

GearAmerica - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLV6HZB

Warn – https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4PFQFI

Which of these would you buy and does anyone have suggestions outside of these?
I had the same question, OP, but ended up going with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZXM12XC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They might not be as stout as a traditional steel snatch block but I can tell you they are a heck of a lot lighter than steel. I'd rather have the aluminum ring flying than the steel.
I've already used mine to winch out a full-sized Silverado sunk in snow up to the axles.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I also try to buy as much as I can from store like Quadratec rather than amazon. Why? When was the last time Amazon produced a Jeep product install video? So, if quadratec has to charge a few bucks more, I’m fine with that.
And, sadly, as big as Amazon has gotten, it's rare to find great deals on their site now.
Same thing with eBay. Very rare.
The problem I have with local stores, which I try to frequent as much as possible, is with their inventory. 99% of the time I ask if they have a product because I cannot find it on the shelf, but they are listed as a distributor on the manufacturer's site, they say "don't have it in stock, but I can order one for you". Well, I can do that too and not pay your mark up. And Amazon will probably get it here faster.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
And, sadly, as big as Amazon has gotten, it's rare to find great deals on their site now.
The problem I have with local stores, which I try to frequent as much as possible, is with their inventory. 99% of the time I ask if they have a product because I cannot find it on the shelf, but they are listed as a distributor on the manufacturer's site, they say "don't have it in stock, but I can order one for you". Well, I can do that too and not pay your mark up. And Amazon will probably get it here faster.
Totally agree with you.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I think the same!

In fact, I'd be glad to pay a few dollars more if they actually have what I want in stock, but they rarely do...

Suchestom

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 1988 YJ, 1983 CJ8, 1979 CJ7
I have off the shelf tractor supply snatch blocks. I don’t know where they are manufactured or who tested them. I got started using them on my equipment trailer winching 25000 pound broken vehicles on my trailer. They perform very well, I’ve never had one fail. They won’t win a cool contest on the trail, but they will perform their job flawlessly. They are a basic design from steel...means they are heavier than necessary, but unlikely to fail.
Sponsored