Sponsored

Air Compressors?

JJJEEEEEEPPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Has anyone tried the Amazon Basics compressor ?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...JJZQ0M0GZ1V&psc=1&refRID=X6Y59FC7YJJZQ0M0GZ1V

Its specs look better than Viair 88P.

I am not looking to go beyond $100 since I do not off-road a lot and I have patience to wait for my tires to fill up.
Viair 88p seems the recommended choice in the forum under $100 but just checking if someone has experience on the amazon's model.
Sponsored

JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried the Amazon Basics compressor ?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...JJZQ0M0GZ1V&psc=1&refRID=X6Y59FC7YJJZQ0M0GZ1V

Its specs look better than Viair 88P.

I am not looking to go beyond $100 since I do not off-road a lot and I have patience to wait for my tires to fill up.
Viair 88p seems the recommended choice in the forum under $100 but just checking if someone has experience on the amazon's model.
The Fast Lane Car (or TFLOffroad) just did a comparison between this and a comparable unit from Harbor Freight. They recommend getting the HF unit and not getting the Amazon Basics unit

JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Fast Lane Car (or TFLOffroad) just did a comparison between this and a comparable unit from Harbor Freight. They recommend getting the HF unit and not getting the Amazon Basics unit
Link:

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Every time I pull out my Smittybuilt portable unit, a club member tells me how they had one of those and it died on them within about a year. I'm going to put in an ARB twin eventually on Aux1.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
That looks like a modified and dressed up MV-50. Which happens to be THE best compressor under $500. Super cheap and great performance. I would just buy this version and you’ll love me forever.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1142310155

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Just completed this install

91998334-D882-4B1E-92F8-669B9C712C1D.jpeg
After a couple minutes of use, the air coming out of the compressor is very hot. You're likely to melt that line where it comes off the compressor. Ideally, you should at least have the first foot or so to be a braided stainless steel line, or some other line that can resist high temperatures.

kmclaudet

First Name
Karem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
I went this route. Kinda pain to run the power wire but for me it’s the best place. I got it really hot the other day and it’s just fine. No issues with heat and gets fresh air. Obviously, I keep the cover open while in use. I aired up my neighbors Super Duty tires from 40 psi to 80. Took like maybe 8-10 minute for all 4. These things are super fast , but the downside is the expense.

Much better than under the hood. I had it under the hood of my JK and talk about heat soaking before even using it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Air Compressors? DA1DE9DB-F106-4404-AA90-ACC535AC02BE

Jeep Wrangler JL Air Compressors? DA1DE9DB-F106-4404-AA90-ACC535AC02BE
Any installation instructions to follow? :)

Sponsored

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
Hey all,

I'm still waiting for my Jeep to arrive (long story, lots of missed delivery dates, now only "TBD", lack of info from Jeep... bitterness), and I was looking around for what other things I might want to have for off roading/rock crawling. An air compressor to re-inflate tires before headed back on the road seemed like something I could look for to waste some time while waiting.

I'm leaning towards a portable system.It might be nice to be able to grab it and go if I need it in another vehicle. There also doesn't seem to be many installed options for the JL yet, so that would be a hard sell for me.

I'd rather buy something quality that won't take an hour or so to air back up, and will last a good while.

Viair seems to be a popular company, and I've heard other people with Jeeps locally own them--but there are so many models from -very- affordable to questionably unaffordable.

Can anyone make a suggestion, even for another make/model?

Being portable, it would be super great if it came with a carrying bag and accessory kit for the basics. I know that when you get "kits" they usually aren't the highest quality parts though, so if you think there's a better option let me know!

Also, my gut is telling me that a 12v system would be best, even though the JLUR has the 110V inverter. It seems logical that having something that can work on 12v would be better than taking 12v, cranking it up to 110v, and be limited by wattage--which may be something a compressor is greedy for. If I'm wrong here, let me know as well!
I started carrying portable compressors a long time ago, saved my bacon many times.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I just bought the Mean Mother Adventure 4 compresser:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/mean-mother-compressor-8800cu-8717.html

180L/min, 60mm cylinder, with remote.

Its a big beefy unit. I aired down one of my KO2's 315/70/17 down to 20 and filled it back up to 33 in what felt like under a minute.

Compared to my old cheapo no name brand amazon purchase this thing is awesome.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
This from a Viair engineer in response to my question:
Why is the CFM so much lower than the much cheaper Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor? 1.47CFM Free Flow @ 0 PSI.Max. Amp Draw: 20
Ricky E: we dont list parts on amazon but we will try and reach out to the seller and have them fix that info.

Ricky E: the 450p rv is a 100% duty cycle compressor. the 88p is a 33% duty cycle compressor. the 450p rv auto will take a little longer to get to the desired psi, but can run longer once there. the 88p will get to the desired psi but wont be able to run as long. same concept for the 400p compared to the 450p rv automatic

Until I get my ARB twin, I'm using a quad Ryobi (4 compressors).
Jeep Wrangler JL Air Compressors? 2021-12-18 15.02.01

Jeep Wrangler JL Air Compressors? 2021-12-23 15.05.50

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
This from a Viair engineer in response to my question:
Why is the CFM so much lower than the much cheaper Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor? 1.47CFM Free Flow @ 0 PSI.Max. Amp Draw: 20
Ricky E: we dont list parts on amazon but we will try and reach out to the seller and have them fix that info.

Ricky E: the 450p rv is a 100% duty cycle compressor. the 88p is a 33% duty cycle compressor. the 450p rv auto will take a little longer to get to the desired psi, but can run longer once there. the 88p will get to the desired psi but wont be able to run as long. same concept for the 400p compared to the 450p rv automatic

Until I get my ARB twin, I'm using a quad Ryobi (4 compressors).

I overheated my ryobi inflater like that. Now it no work. I replaced it with the smittybilt.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I overheated my ryobi inflater like that. Now it no work. I replaced it with the smittybilt.
What pressure? How many tires? What size battery? If the battery is not a voltage source, that is, it voltage drop, current goes up. That's one way to burn up an electric motor. I've noticed with mine, the best 4 Ah batteries inflate 20% faster than the cheaper Ryobi 18 V 4Ah battery. I've used mine at least once a week for a year with no failures yet.
Sponsored