Sponsored

Will these storage trays affect the airbag?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
you are driving, so it's all good. beside, it's impossible to wreck out in the country side of ohio.
:LOL: indeed true just have to watch for the occasional wild animal
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
1. IF YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR AT HIGH SPEED HEAD ON INTO A WALL OR HEAD ON INTO ANOTHER VEHICLE YOU WON'T CARE IF YOU LEFT YOUR NOTE 10+ IN THE HANDLE SLOT. So, because of my professional experience I'll take my chances.
I realize you're trying to be funny, but have you ever been in a crash when your airbag deploys? The airbag itself can hurt enough, but imagine even a small piece of plastic (much less a substantial cell phone) smashing you in the face at over 15 miles per second before the airbag even makes contact with you. (This is for your passenger, obviously with this tray.)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I realize you're trying to be funny, but have you ever been in a crash when your airbag deploys? The airbag itself can hurt enough, but imagine even a small piece of plastic (much less a substantial cell phone) smashing you in the face at over 15 miles per second before the airbag even makes contact with you. (This is for your passenger, obviously with this tray.)
I was looking for something "secure" for phones and I came across https://www.carolinametalmasters.co...cts/cmm-jl-lower-handle-1-ball-mount-solution
I think this will be my solution:like:

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Ok, it's going to be returned, definitely not worth any chance of become an accessory to injury (or worse). Thanks for all the replies!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I realize you're trying to be funny, but, yes, I was in an accident that resulted in a double fatality in 1969. I was a passenger in a 1964 Chevy Nova that hit a 1969 Olds Cutless broadside at 70mph. I was in the front passenger seat and suffered substantial injuries that I still deal with. No seatbelts. I wish we all had an airbag with a phone in front of it back then. It sucks when you break your windshield from the inside.
I never said the Death Plastic was safe or unsafe. Since my wife and I have free will and each use the passenger seat we decided to leave the Death Plastic in our Jeep. Our 2 rescue doggos dont have free will so they are seat belted in the back in case of an airbag deployment. We also ride motorcycles (you can die on those!!!) and both keep our 1911's cocked and locked. Life is full of risks. In my post I said I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES. Do what YOU gotta do.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Cool, cool. I just put my phone away when I'm in the car. I don't know. Old-school, paranoid, whatever. Not much of a phone person anyway.
I only use it for GPS. If I knew then what I do now, I would have at least ordered the 7" Uconnect instead of the basic 5" :facepalm:

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I only use it for GPS. If I knew then what I do now, I would have at least ordered the 7" Uconnect instead of the basic 5" :facepalm:
Lol I don't have any GPS stuff. I have a 256mb phone plan haha I still print directions at home if I'm going somewhere I'm not familiar with.

I also have the smallest Uconnect. Plays the radio and that's about all I need/want haha

I'm not anti-tech in general, though. I build my own computers and I've always been fascinated with machines. I just don't like the "always-connected" world we're living in now, and cell phone were the first big step in that direction. Now they want to sell me "smart" thermostats, fridges, microwaves...lol

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The passenger airbag will deploy over the handle and keep anything in the bin from going towards the occupant. I would be OK with it as long as you don't put anything ridiculous in it.

Don't put something in it that sticks above the handle.
And I seen people put cell phones in there bad idea

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Question - So how exactly does the airbag deploy? The passenger side piece is a solid piece of plastic. Does it break the plastic when it deploys, or it is actually coming out under the plastic piece? There’s no hole in the middle of it…🤔 what would prevent small deadly shards of broken plastic from being shot out at the passenger?
Could someone please test this in person with a slow motion camera on their own rig and post the video of passenger airbag deploy ?
Jeep Wrangler JL Will these storage trays affect the airbag? 1643813807997

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I couldn't help but think of this when I saw this thread.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will these storage trays affect the airbag? 1643814525971
Sponsored