Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2020 Rubicon 2door white manual transmission, 2017 Tundra Platinum
Occupation
Owner Bosch Car Service
Hi
first post
I ordered my JL on Friday, got my VON the same day
How do I get my VIN?
Do I need to call my salesman and ask for it?
After they place the order
How many days it takes to get the VIN?
Thanks
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Hi
first post
How do I get my VIN?
Do I need to call my salesman and ask for it?
After they place the order
How many days it takes to get the VIN?
Thanks
Welcome to the forum and congrats on ordering!
When I ordered my '19JLUR, I had to wait a few days for the VON to populate (Thurs-Tues). Once I had the VON, I started pestering Jeep Chat for the VIN. They gave that to me along with status updates.

That said, following up with your salesman wouldn't be a bad Idea. My sales guy got more detailed updates than Jeep chat could give me: Jeep Chat told me my build was "waiting to start" for 4-6 weeks in a row. I finally reached out to my sales guy and he gave me a detailed status update and a potential timeframe for shipping based on the info in his system("It's in Paint today, QA tomorrow, could ship as early as Friday. It's coming via rail so it'll take a few days once the train leaves").

Good luck!.

OP
OP
Bosch99

Bosch99

First Name
German
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Owner Bosch Car Service
When I ordered my '19JLUR, I had to wait a few days for the VON to populate (Thurs-Tues). Once I had the VON, I started pestering Jeep Chat for the VIN. They gave that to me along with status updates.

That said, following up with your salesman wouldn't be a bad Idea. My sales guy got more detailed updates than Jeep chat could give me: Jeep Chat told me my build was "waiting to start" for 4-6 weeks in a row. I finally reached out to my sales guy and he gave me a detailed status update and a potential timeframe for shipping based on the info in his system("It's in Paint today, QA tomorrow, could ship as early as Friday. It's coming via rail so it'll take a few days once the train leaves").

Good luck!.

Good luck!.
thanks for your response
I’ll try Jeep Chat today and call my salesman

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Welcome to the forum!

When you check your build status on Jeep Chat ( https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/knowledge ), be sure to ask for the alphanumeric code; if you don't, they may just give you a "canned response".

Also, be aware that after your build is past KZ status, you will have to rely on your dealer for "Traffic" (shipping) info.

Longer lists of the alphanumeric codes (there are many codes) are posted elsewhere on the forum; rather than repeat, here's a "short list" of some of the "milestone" ones you may likely encounter:

D - firm schedule, serial number assigned
D1 - gateline; unit sequenced for production, estimated ship date assigned (but don't believe it) ;)
E - framing
F - paint
G - trim
I - unit built, pending final inspection
JB - sent to body vendor (installation of accessories)
JS - sent to storage
KZ - released by plant and invoiced :party:

Caution: checking your build status is fun (and addicting!), but can lead to frustration if yours gets stuck in "I", "JB", or "JS" for awhile (it happens). :headbang:

OP
OP
Bosch99

Bosch99

First Name
German
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Owner Bosch Car Service
Welcome to the forum!

When you check your build status on Jeep Chat ( https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/knowledge ), be sure to ask for the alphanumeric code; if you don't, they may just give you a "canned response".

Also, be aware that after your build is past KZ status, you will have to rely on your dealer for "Traffic" (shipping) info.

Longer lists of the alphanumeric codes (there are many codes) are posted elsewhere on the forum; rather than repeat, here's a "short list" of some of the "milestone" ones you may likely encounter:

D - firm schedule, serial number assigned
D1 - gateline; unit sequenced for production, estimated ship date assigned (but don't believe it) ;)
E - framing
F - paint
G - trim
I - unit built, pending final inspection
JB - sent to body vendor (installation of accessories)
JS - sent to storage
KZ - released by plant and invoiced :party:

Caution: checking your build status is fun (and addicting!), but can lead to frustration if yours gets stuck in "I", "JB", or "JS" for awhile (it happens). :headbang:
Got it
Great info
Thanks man

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Also worth mentioning: If your Jeep happens to show up on AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc- don't panic, your dealer isn't trying to sell it out from under you.
The way most dealer websites work is that they receive a Data feed- basically, a shipping manifest from the factory (transmitted by a 3rd party vendor, i think)- of which cars are en route. If they're set up with online search sites like Cars.com, Autortader, etc. the data feed hits them as well. I believe it's because this way, most dealers can update the vehicles profile as soon as they're off the truck and get them released to be processed and put on the lot so they're ready for sale. Unfortunately that means those of us who custom ordered (like you, and me) also have our vehicles on there.
Source: I used to work for a company that built websites for dealers. We had to deal with the data feed houses all the time, and dealers who had no idea how to update (and frequently deleted by mistake) their inventory.

Most of the time, if you've ordered and have things worked out ahead of time, the dealer won't even update pricing info or photos- it will just say "call for pricing" and have a generic stock photo, and when the dealer updates their inventory, your listing will go away because you've already picked it up. Just make sure you follow up with your sales person, and all of your financials are in place. Most dealers are good about this but there are several stories of clueless or unscrupulous dealers and sales people selling a customer ordered vehicle off the lot in a mix up; or for more money and claiming it was an honest mistake.

Fun story time!
When I was looking for my JLUR, i was relatively flexible with a few exceptions: It needed at least a hard top (because soft tops are easy to come by aftermarket and cheaper than a hard top), it needed to be manual trans (my preference- don't want an auto), and it had to be Punk'n Orange, Mojito, Firecracker Red, or HellaYella (in that order- because I wanted an offensively bright candy color). Obviously, we had trade and pricing worked out ahead of time. My sales guy was cool about it, and said "we'll get you that, and we'll do our best to get it within your range. Let's have a look at the locator". We were out to 300+ miles before we were able to find a JLUR that hit all my marks. There were 2: a green one, and a red one. He checked them against ordering and Punk'n was blocked out, I took the info on those two, told him I'd look it over and think about it. I really wanted the Punk'n one because there weren't many around (yet). When i followed up and asked, he said "Weird... Punk'n is open again. You want the orange instead, we can order it." We went over numbers and options and after a short wait for the 2019 banks to open, he locked it in on day 2. I was stoked.
Roughly 3 months go by, and I'm at the dealer, doing my final inspection as my sales guy is writing up the paperwork. It's right out front and waiting for me. I'm pumped. I'm walking around my Jeep, checking everything over- frame welds, options, paint- making sure I didn't miss anything. This OTHER sales guy comes up to me. He's a sketchy little runt. He's got the vibe of a smooth talking hustler (think a ticket scalper but dressed nicer).

He's chatting me up:
"Man, that's a real nice Jeep. We just got it in yesterday. It's got some big tires and stuff. Ready to go off road. That color is dope too. And it's a manual."
"Yeah. It's a nice rig"
"yeah man, I got a couple calls on people looking to come look at it this week, offering to put money down for it. Before they even drove it. I had one guy who wanted to come up from PA, Another called me from Syracuse."
"Oh, really?"
"Yeah man, you can't get one of these for 300 miles, especially in a manual."
"Oh, I believe it. <turn around, looking directly at him now> I ordered it."
"OH, YOU ORDERED IT?"
"Yes."
"Oh man, it's a good thing you came today cause I almost sold it twice this week"
**(It got there late Wednesday night, I was picking up on a Friday morning)
"Yeah, I factory ordered it with my sales guy. It's my 3rd Wrangler. I've always had one, since 2003. I've been all over the place off roading. That's my old one over there I'm trading in. Need room for my family so they can go too, now."
"Oh, right man. Well, congrats, good luck:"
"Thanks. "
I told my sales guy and he kind of rolled his eyes and scowled. "Yesterday was my day off. It's got your name on the sticker. He wasn't selling anything to anyone and if he tried, there would be BIG problems."

I've stopped back in a few times for warranty work, or to pick something up. I've talked to my sales guy if he's around. I haven't seen Mr. Sketchy since.

OP
OP
Bosch99

Bosch99

First Name
German
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Owner Bosch Car Service
Also worth mentioning: If your Jeep happens to show up on AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc- don't panic, your dealer isn't trying to sell it out from under you.
The way most dealer websites work is that they receive a Data feed- basically, a shipping manifest from the factory (transmitted by a 3rd party vendor, i think)- of which cars are en route. If they're set up with online search sites like Cars.com, Autortader, etc. the data feed hits them as well. I believe it's because this way, most dealers can update the vehicles profile as soon as they're off the truck and get them released to be processed and put on the lot so they're ready for sale. Unfortunately that means those of us who custom ordered (like you, and me) also have our vehicles on there.
Source: I used to work for a company that built websites for dealers. We had to deal with the data feed houses all the time, and dealers who had no idea how to update (and frequently deleted by mistake) their inventory.

Most of the time, if you've ordered and have things worked out ahead of time, the dealer won't even update pricing info or photos- it will just say "call for pricing" and have a generic stock photo, and when the dealer updates their inventory, your listing will go away because you've already picked it up. Just make sure you follow up with your sales person, and all of your financials are in place. Most dealers are good about this but there are several stories of clueless or unscrupulous dealers and sales people selling a customer ordered vehicle off the lot in a mix up; or for more money and claiming it was an honest mistake.

Fun story time!
When I was looking for my JLUR, i was relatively flexible with a few exceptions: It needed at least a hard top (because soft tops are easy to come by aftermarket and cheaper than a hard top), it needed to be manual trans (my preference- don't want an auto), and it had to be Punk'n Orange, Mojito, Firecracker Red, or HellaYella (in that order- because I wanted an offensively bright candy color). Obviously, we had trade and pricing worked out ahead of time. My sales guy was cool about it, and said "we'll get you that, and we'll do our best to get it within your range. Let's have a look at the locator". We were out to 300+ miles before we were able to find a JLUR that hit all my marks. There were 2: a green one, and a red one. He checked them against ordering and Punk'n was blocked out, I took the info on those two, told him I'd look it over and think about it. I really wanted the Punk'n one because there weren't many around (yet). When i followed up and asked, he said "Weird... Punk'n is open again. You want the orange instead, we can order it." We went over numbers and options and after a short wait for the 2019 banks to open, he locked it in on day 2. I was stoked.
Roughly 3 months go by, and I'm at the dealer, doing my final inspection as my sales guy is writing up the paperwork. It's right out front and waiting for me. I'm pumped. I'm walking around my Jeep, checking everything over- frame welds, options, paint- making sure I didn't miss anything. This OTHER sales guy comes up to me. He's a sketchy little runt. He's got the vibe of a smooth talking hustler (think a ticket scalper but dressed nicer).

He's chatting me up:
"Man, that's a real nice Jeep. We just got it in yesterday. It's got some big tires and stuff. Ready to go off road. That color is dope too. And it's a manual."
"Yeah. It's a nice rig"
"yeah man, I got a couple calls on people looking to come look at it this week, offering to put money down for it. Before they even drove it. I had one guy who wanted to come up from PA, Another called me from Syracuse."
"Oh, really?"
"Yeah man, you can't get one of these for 300 miles, especially in a manual."
"Oh, I believe it. <turn around, looking directly at him now> I ordered it."
"OH, YOU ORDERED IT?"
"Yes."
"Oh man, it's a good thing you came today cause I almost sold it twice this week"
**(It got there late Wednesday night, I was picking up on a Friday morning)
"Yeah, I factory ordered it with my sales guy. It's my 3rd Wrangler. I've always had one, since 2003. I've been all over the place off roading. That's my old one over there I'm trading in. Need room for my family so they can go too, now."
"Oh, right man. Well, congrats, good luck:"
"Thanks. "
I told my sales guy and he kind of rolled his eyes and scowled. "Yesterday was my day off. It's got your name on the sticker. He wasn't selling anything to anyone and if he tried, there would be BIG problems."

I've stopped back in a few times for warranty work, or to pick something up. I've talked to my sales guy if he's around. I haven't seen Mr. Sketchy since.
Jaja
Great story
I’ll make sure to follow up with my salesman
Thanks

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Digging up a somewhat older thread... :angel:
Reason why - I never heard of a VON - must be a US only thing no, and what exactly is it, that VON stuff?