Sponsored

Baja design OnX6, S8 and squadron pros one year review.

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Most of the times the only reviews I read are from folks unhappy with a product or a customer service problem.

I thought I would give an honest review of a product that I have been using for a year now.

My lights consist of Baja design.
40” OnX6 plus/high powered they are now just plus
10” OnX6 plus
2 Squadron pro
2, 20” S8
10” S8
3 Rock lights
All of their mounting hardware to mount the lights.

Let me first give you a little background on the type of off roading I do and how much of it I do every year.
I’ll average between 80-90 days a year off roading and camping. I’m know to have the ability of finding a flaw in a product and breaking it.
When I built my JLUR overland rig a year ago I tried to go with the best parts available at the time of my build.

Lighting to me is a part of my safety equipment. When I’m on a trail in the dark I want a good 180 degree of view. If I’m trying to find a place to camp or a bypass road in the dark, I want to make sure I have enough lighting to make that happen.
If we are doing a recovery in the dark a lot of lighting goes without saying.

Let’s start with the cost. Yes, the Baja design lights are going to put a major dent in your pocketbook compared to other brands.
The question is, are they worth it? The answer in my opinion is, yes.

Their OnX6 lights are hands down the brightest light I have come across.

The 10” OnX6 seems to me to be way brighter than their 20” S8, at least I think it is.
Their squadron pros are bright, yet again they are in no way as bright as their OnX6.
The only reason I got their squadron pros was when I made my purchase they did not have a 50” OnX6 curved. I was having a dark spot at a 45 degree angle from the drivers seat. This was bugging the crap out of me and the only option I had was to add the squadron pros to light up that area.
This did help however, I feel that if I had the 50” OnX6 curved vs my 40” OnX6 and squadron pros. The 50” would be hands down the winner.
It you took two squadron pros next to each other and put them next to the 10” OnX6 I feel the OnX6 would produce way more lighting down the trail.

How bright are their OnX6? Let me put it this way, if you look at them for just a second or two straight on and look away your blinded for a good few seconds. One of my buddies said to me he would not be surprised if they did not cause someone to have a seizure. They are wicked bright.

The 20” S8 that are my side lights do a great job, however with that being said if I was building this again I would have just gone with only their OnX6 and dealt with the funky mounting of them.
The reason I went with the S8 was I wanted them mounted under my roof rack for a stealth appearance and so it would not interfere with my roof top tent. The S8 are a lot thinner than the OnX6.
Again I feel the 10” OnX6 is way brighter than their 20” S8. You would have to see them in person to see what I’m talking about.

The 10” S8 I have on the top back of my roof rack has their work scene lens and it does a great job for the money.
I just needed enough light to see when backing up or out of a jam at night.

Their rock lights are really well built and put out a surprising amount of light for how small they are. I have one mounted on each side of the rear of my roof rack and one mounted on the inside of my back window for when I’m cooking in the dark.

Insulation using the Mopar ungraded switching package option on the JL was a little work.

Why? Well the 4 switch package from Mopar has relays, fuse and wires installed for you, at least mine did. This would be great if I was only using the 10” OnX6 on the number 1 switch. When I added in the 40” OnX6 and two squadron pros I had to add a few extra fused relays. I ended up adding two more fused relays just for the 40” OnX6 light. I ran into the same problem with the 20” S8 side lights, I added an extra fused relay so they would stop popping the fuse.
I got the 30amp fused relays on Amazon. The fuses are attached to the relays for an easy install. My advise is change the fuses to better ones right away. The ones that come with them the plastic around the fuse melted off leaving only for metal part of the fuse.

Baja design warranty?
I’m told it is a lifetime warranty.
If you purchase their lights and don’t like them for any reason, you can return them in 30 days for your money back.

Problems or concerns?
The squadron pros black anodizing seems to be fading a little. I think if my JLUR was in the sun more they could get worst.
Some of the mounting brackets are doing the same thing. Not a major deal, just something to be noted.

100% Waterproof? Not 100% sure however, my 10” OnX6 on my front bumper has been submerged underwater during deep water crossings more than a few times and I have not had a problem.

Hope this helps

59045558-584A-4A6F-BB3D-03031B80F930.jpeg

471BCB2B-7E7A-4973-9BE0-4B3B47FD8827.jpeg

B92DA5C0-2972-4CB8-A319-D80DD6FE733E.jpeg

CBA04233-1966-4090-8151-DCA75B5A01EF.jpeg

D30F8CE3-B2FF-4A5E-B147-A7A6D0776CAA.jpeg
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Nice review. Did you make a YouTube video too? I saw a YouTube video this week of someone with a very similar light set up.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Nice review. Did you make a YouTube video too? I saw a YouTube video this week of someone with a very similar light set up.
Hey

Thank you!
No I did not make a video, I was going to except the video does not do the lighting any justice

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Hey

Thank you!
No I did not make a video, I was going to except the video does not do the lighting any justice
This isn't you?!?!

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the times the only reviews I read are from folks unhappy with a product or a customer service problem.

I thought I would give an honest review of a product that I have been using for a year now.

My lights consist of Baja design.
40” OnX6 plus/high powered they are now just plus
10” OnX6 plus
2 Squadron pro
2, 20” S8
10” S8
3 Rock lights
All of their mounting hardware to mount the lights.

Let me first give you a little background on the type of off roading I do and how much of it I do every year.
I’ll average between 80-90 days a year off roading and camping. I’m know to have the ability of finding a flaw in a product and breaking it.
When I built my JLUR overland rig a year ago I tried to go with the best parts available at the time of my build.

Lighting to me is a part of my safety equipment. When I’m on a trail in the dark I want a good 180 degree of view. If I’m trying to find a place to camp or a bypass road in the dark, I want to make sure I have enough lighting to make that happen.
If we are doing a recovery in the dark a lot of lighting goes without saying.

Let’s start with the cost. Yes, the Baja design lights are going to put a major dent in your pocketbook compared to other brands.
The question is, are they worth it? The answer in my opinion is, yes.

Their OnX6 lights are hands down the brightest light I have come across.

The 10” OnX6 seems to me to be way brighter than their 20” S8, at least I think it is.
Their squadron pros are bright, yet again they are in no way as bright as their OnX6.
The only reason I got their squadron pros was when I made my purchase they did not have a 50” OnX6 curved. I was having a dark spot at a 45 degree angle from the drivers seat. This was bugging the crap out of me and the only option I had was to add the squadron pros to light up that area.
This did help however, I feel that if I had the 50” OnX6 curved vs my 40” OnX6 and squadron pros. The 50” would be hands down the winner.
It you took two squadron pros next to each other and put them next to the 10” OnX6 I feel the OnX6 would produce way more lighting down the trail.

How bright are their OnX6? Let me put it this way, if you look at them for just a second or two straight on and look away your blinded for a good few seconds. One of my buddies said to me he would not be surprised if they did not cause someone to have a seizure. They are wicked bright.

The 20” S8 that are my side lights do a great job, however with that being said if I was building this again I would have just gone with only their OnX6 and dealt with the funky mounting of them.
The reason I went with the S8 was I wanted them mounted under my roof rack for a stealth appearance and so it would not interfere with my roof top tent. The S8 are a lot thinner than the OnX6.
Again I feel the 10” OnX6 is way brighter than their 20” S8. You would have to see them in person to see what I’m talking about.

The 10” S8 I have on the top back of my roof rack has their work scene lens and it does a great job for the money.
I just needed enough light to see when backing up or out of a jam at night.

Their rock lights are really well built and put out a surprising amount of light for how small they are. I have one mounted on each side of the rear of my roof rack and one mounted on the inside of my back window for when I’m cooking in the dark.

Insulation using the Mopar ungraded switching package option on the JL was a little work.

Why? Well the 4 switch package from Mopar has relays, fuse and wires installed for you, at least mine did. This would be great if I was only using the 10” OnX6 on the number 1 switch. When I added in the 40” OnX6 and two squadron pros I had to add a few extra fused relays. I ended up adding two more fused relays just for the 40” OnX6 light. I ran into the same problem with the 20” S8 side lights, I added an extra fused relay so they would stop popping the fuse.
I got the 30amp fused relays on Amazon. The fuses are attached to the relays for an easy install. My advise is change the fuses to better ones right away. The ones that come with them the plastic around the fuse melted off leaving only for metal part of the fuse.

Baja design warranty?
I’m told it is a lifetime warranty.
If you purchase their lights and don’t like them for any reason, you can return them in 30 days for your money back.

Problems or concerns?
The squadron pros black anodizing seems to be fading a little. I think if my JLUR was in the sun more they could get worst.
Some of the mounting brackets are doing the same thing. Not a major deal, just something to be noted.

100% Waterproof? Not 100% sure however, my 10” OnX6 on my front bumper has been submerged underwater during deep water crossings more than a few times and I have not had a problem.

Hope this helps

59045558-584A-4A6F-BB3D-03031B80F930.jpeg

471BCB2B-7E7A-4973-9BE0-4B3B47FD8827.jpeg

B92DA5C0-2972-4CB8-A319-D80DD6FE733E.jpeg

CBA04233-1966-4090-8151-DCA75B5A01EF.jpeg

D30F8CE3-B2FF-4A5E-B147-A7A6D0776CAA.jpeg

Very good review. Is your 10” bar the Racer Edition one or the Onx6+ version? Also, how was the installation and did you have to get their harness to hookup to the factory aux switches?

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Very good review. Is your 10” bar the Racer Edition one or the Onx6+ version? Also, how was the installation and did you have to get their harness to hookup to the factory aux switches?
Hey

great questions
I have the OnX6 plus
The 10” wired to the factory wire for my JLUR, the 40” I had to add relays to the factory wires because it kept popping the fuse.
I made my own wires harness, very easy to do.

Sponsored

atc250r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler
Great review! Sounds like that OnX6 bar is the way to go. First hand, unbiased reviews like this are always appreciated.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Now I can’t decide between the OnX6 plus or the OnX6 hybrid laser led combo. :headbang:

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
laser sounds cool... but you loose a lot of brightness for "cool laser beams" you tube reviews just look like dim LEDs.. why pay 500 more for lights that are not as bright

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Now I can’t decide between the OnX6 plus or the OnX6 hybrid laser led combo. :headbang:
I cant really see where one could really use something like that. Sure if you're racing 100+mph, crushing 3-4 foot whoops in the desert racing community. I wish I could see these things in person though. I have a set zoned on my truck using their XL 80s in wide cornering, driving combo, and racer spots. Seldom if ever would I need to run the racing spots, hell even the driver combo. LED racer spot version alone shoots way out there, like stupid far.. I couldn't imagine needing something that exceeds that. None the less, technology man.. nuts.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I like the Baja Design, but man they don't given them away for sure. I have not added lights yet, but when I do I think I will cry a lot once I hit that buy button for the Baja Design lights. Like big tears. It is amazing how much these lights cost. Heck one of my buds bought a Rugged Ridge light bar that is on his hood and it was 1500 dollars. That's almost the cost of a gear swap.
Sponsored