Sponsored

Pop-up Camper top for JL

What is your current tent setup on your jeep?

• Total voters

Orange

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door
You’ll have to get a rack that can hold the weight and you’ll have serious overhang, but you could do it.
Thanks for the response. I was also thinking the same (regarding overhang) but after some googling I came across an image of a tent fit for 2 door on a JK with no information. It's either a discontinued product or custom made because I can't find anything like it. There appears to be a red manufacturer logo but I can't make out what it is.

e5376c77beac77042123691e34c19674.jpg
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
Thanks for the response. I was also thinking the same (regarding overhang) but after some googling I came across an image of a tent fit for 2 door on a JK with no information. It's either a discontinued product or custom made because I can't find anything like it. There appears to be a red manufacturer logo but I can't make out what it is.

e5376c77beac77042123691e34c19674.jpg
Sorry for the "late" response" but the "red-logo" is 'AUTOHOME' - The Tent is from 'MAGGIOLINA' (Italy) and is their 'COLUMBUS' Model . AUTOHOME is the USA Distributor for the BRAND . Out of Nevada I believe. FINE product, one that I've been keeping my eye on for a couple years . Less $$$ than Baroud and just as well made IMO ! I've seen a few in some campsites a few years ago, and has only seen the Baroud's via their intro Videos. I believe the website for the Maggiolina tents is AUTOHOME.COM

Orange

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door
Sorry for the "late" response" but the "red-logo" is 'AUTOHOME' - The Tent is from 'MAGGIOLINA' (Italy) and is their 'COLUMBUS' Model . AUTOHOME is the USA Distributor for the BRAND . Out of Nevada I believe. FINE product, one that I've been keeping my eye on for a couple years . Less $$$ than Baroud and just as well made IMO ! I've seen a few in some campsites a few years ago, and has only seen the Baroud's via their intro Videos. I believe the website for the Maggiolina tents is AUTOHOME.COM
Great! Thank you so much.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Good stuff on here. Heading to alaska and debating on a set up. A quick setup is key when driving long hours so the clam-shell style have an advantage over a convention RTT and especially a ground tent.

If it were just me I'd sleep in the JLUR. It would be cramped with the other gear but still doable. But I will likely be with my son and possibly one other. So with three there is no choice other then an IKamper. It;s sleeps 3 adults comfortably, or so they say.

However, depending on if my passengers stay the whole trip or not (they likely will fly home) I will be bringing my dirt bike which will require a trailer. Trailers kind a suck and they kinda dont. I dont like loading down my jeep with tons of stuff that make the jeep less fun to drive, so advantage trailer. Then again being self contained has a certain amount of allure to it. Watch some expedition videos and see for yourself. lol

Though a trailer can be annoying to haul around and EXPENSIVE to take the ferrys needed in Alaska they have some cool features about them. The best feature is having a base camp. The basecamp advantage wont help me driving up to alaska but ease of setup is still the same and once there we make a base camp and explore in a 360 degree area and come home to things already set up. If I'm alone and dirt biking this is even more important.

Ground tenting is probably the cheapest, but even more annoying than a trailer. lol Still it is a viable option. If I did go that route I'd likely have two tents and both would be super quick set up tents. One tent would be a back up in case the other got soaked or whatever.

RTT are expensive, ranging from about 1k to about 7k for the integrated hard top and clam shell tent. For the conventional RTT add another 1.2k for a rack plus installation if you opt for professional install.

Offroad trailers can range from home build home depot trailers to off the charts expensive. They are really cool though. The best ones are alum and loaded with amazing options. The ones I have been looking at weight about 2 to 3k.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good stuff on here. Heading to alaska and debating on a set up. A quick setup is key when driving long hours so the clam-shell style have an advantage over a convention RTT and especially a ground tent.

If it were just me I'd sleep in the JLUR. It would be cramped with the other gear but still doable. But I will likely be with my son and possibly one other. So with three there is no choice other then an IKamper. It;s sleeps 3 adults comfortably, or so they say.

However, depending on if my passengers stay the whole trip or not (they likely will fly home) I will be bringing my dirt bike which will require a trailer. Trailers kind a suck and they kinda dont. I dont like loading down my jeep with tons of stuff that make the jeep less fun to drive, so advantage trailer. Then again being self contained has a certain amount of allure to it. Watch some expedition videos and see for yourself. lol

Though a trailer can be annoying to haul around and EXPENSIVE to take the ferrys needed in Alaska they have some cool features about them. The best feature is having a base camp. The basecamp advantage wont help me driving up to alaska but ease of setup is still the same and once there we make a base camp and explore in a 360 degree area and come home to things already set up. If I'm alone and dirt biking this is even more important.

Ground tenting is probably the cheapest, but even more annoying than a trailer. lol Still it is a viable option. If I did go that route I'd likely have two tents and both would be super quick set up tents. One tent would be a back up in case the other got soaked or whatever.

RTT are expensive, ranging from about 1k to about 7k for the integrated hard top and clam shell tent. For the conventional RTT add another 1.2k for a rack plus installation if you opt for professional install.

Offroad trailers can range from home build home depot trailers to off the charts expensive. They are really cool though. The best ones are alum and loaded with amazing options. The ones I have been looking at weight about 2 to 3k.
I concur - OUR thinking is very similar. I've done the Inside the Vehicle thing, both in my current G.C. and the '03 RAM 1500 from the Cap Covered Bed. In both, anyone "sleeping" inside without adequate ventilation (minus the biting insects, if possible?) causes copious amounts of Humidity. Like wiping down all your windows (inside) every morning? Me neither, not to mention the moisture on/in areas of "material" you can't just wipe off - creating the potential for mold.
So for now, I've chosen the least expensive path - ground tent (Kodiac Canvas 9'x8'x6.2' tall). But I'm getting old & weary, so the put up &take down is a long tedious process (for ONE). GREAT tents . . . IF I continue tenting, I might go the Gizelle route or buy another smaller Kodiac - the 8'x6'x4' tall. MY goal is to trade up for a JLU (2020 MY) or the JT (in 2020).
A Maggiolina RTT for the JT is one idea, I have others. For a JLU buy, it's the Ursa Minor RTT ($$$), or a properly mounted popup RTT like the Maggiolina's. this 2nd idea gives me MORE options in USE of the Hardtop - i.e.; removing the panels.
Won't have any panels with the Ursa Minor. I'd be saving about 2-3K this way too. Hmm . . . a new 12v Fridge?
No trailers for me . . . yet . . . too costly, the continual cost of registering+ and the hassle of towing and the added wear & tear on the JEEP, not for me. Happy Overlanding

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I concur - OUR thinking is very similar. I've done the Inside the Vehicle thing, both in my current G.C. and the '03 RAM 1500 from the Cap Covered Bed. In both, anyone "sleeping" inside without adequate ventilation (minus the biting insects, if possible?) causes copious amounts of Humidity. Like wiping down all your windows (inside) every morning? Me neither, not to mention the moisture on/in areas of "material" you can't just wipe off - creating the potential for mold.
So for now, I've chosen the least expensive path - ground tent (Kodiac Canvas 9'x8'x6.2' tall). But I'm getting old & weary, so the put up &take down is a long tedious process (for ONE). GREAT tents . . . IF I continue tenting, I might go the Gizelle route or buy another smaller Kodiac - the 8'x6'x4' tall. MY goal is to trade up for a JLU (2020 MY) or the JT (in 2020).
A Maggiolina RTT for the JT is one idea, I have others. For a JLU buy, it's the Ursa Minor RTT ($$$), or a properly mounted popup RTT like the Maggiolina's. this 2nd idea gives me MORE options in USE of the Hardtop - i.e.; removing the panels.
Won't have any panels with the Ursa Minor. I'd be saving about 2-3K this way too. Hmm . . . a new 12v Fridge?
No trailers for me . . . yet . . . too costly, the continual cost of registering+ and the hassle of towing and the added wear & tear on the JEEP, not for me. Happy Overlanding
Yeah you have to hit a sweet spot and everyone has their criteria. I drove to alaska in the 90s. Did the tent thing with a buddy and it wasnt too bad except for when it rained, and it did pretty much half the time heading up. When he flew home I had a smaller tent I used and that got old real quick. Sleeping in the full size bronco worked great. I keep the windows partially down and fortunately no moisture or bugs. Mornings were cold and starting the vehicle to blow some heat was nice. lol Still sleeping in your vehicle isnt optimal and the JLU doesnt have the room a bronco has.

So having the tent experience in Alaska is out for me if I can help it. Which means $$$. I'm doing this trip when I retire so I dont mind spending the money for a better experience IF I can convince myself that experience has the proper fun vs dollar ratio. ;)

You mentioned wear and tear on a jeep and that is something to consider for sure. But I'm not sure loading everything in the jeep is all that good for it either. Of course towing a trailer has got to be worse since the trailer will weigh anywhere from 1 to 2k+ and then add gear. Since you have room for more stuff add even more weight. haha

Then again, everything I have been reading is the 3.6 has a stellar reputation and the tranny is one of the best ever made. I worry more about peripheral stuff going bad like FI sensors en such. I had one go bad in the bronco in the yukon and it sucked.

So my take on trailers is more that they are (or can be) expensive and a PITA to tow around. But does the bennys outweigh the PITA-ness.

For ME:
I can take my dirt bike- This is huge for me since there is nothing that will cover ground and see more then a dirt bike
I can sleep either in the trailer or on top in a clamshell RTT.
Having a basecamp bennys are you dont have to take your camp with you ever time you go somewhere vs having a RTT and loaded up jeep.

The trailer I am looking at is aluminum and comes in at 800lbs. It costs about 4k. The clamshell was about 4k as well if I remember right. ouch!

I am in the process of building a halfarsed enclosed trailer. It;s only 4x8 and I will test it out this summer in New Mexico. It it works out well I will spend the dough on the aluminum one. Or just use it.......

I love our first world problem solving. ;)

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah you have to hit a sweet spot and everyone has their criteria. I drove to alaska in the 90s. Did the tent thing with a buddy and it wasnt too bad except for when it rained, and it did pretty much half the time heading up. When he flew home I had a smaller tent I used and that got old real quick. Sleeping in the full size bronco worked great. I keep the windows partially down and fortunately no moisture or bugs. Mornings were cold and starting the vehicle to blow some heat was nice. lol Still sleeping in your vehicle isnt optimal and the JLU doesnt have the room a bronco has.

So having the tent experience in Alaska is out for me if I can help it. Which means $$$. I'm doing this trip when I retire so I dont mind spending the money for a better experience IF I can convince myself that experience has the proper fun vs dollar ratio. ;)

You mentioned wear and tear on a jeep and that is something to consider for sure. But I'm not sure loading everything in the jeep is all that good for it either. Of course towing a trailer has got to be worse since the trailer will weigh anywhere from 1 to 2k+ and then add gear. Since you have room for more stuff add even more weight. haha

Then again, everything I have been reading is the 3.6 has a stellar reputation and the tranny is one of the best ever made. I worry more about peripheral stuff going bad like FI sensors en such. I had one go bad in the bronco in the yukon and it sucked.

So my take on trailers is more that they are (or can be) expensive and a PITA to tow around. But does the bennys outweigh the PITA-ness.

For ME:
I can take my dirt bike- This is huge for me since there is nothing that will cover ground and see more then a dirt bike
I can sleep either in the trailer or on top in a clamshell RTT.
Having a basecamp bennys are you dont have to take your camp with you ever time you go somewhere vs having a RTT and loaded up jeep.

The trailer I am looking at is aluminum and comes in at 800lbs. It costs about 4k. The clamshell was about 4k as well if I remember right. ouch!

I am in the process of building a halfarsed enclosed trailer. It;s only 4x8 and I will test it out this summer in New Mexico. It it works out well I will spend the dough on the aluminum one. Or just use it.......

I love our first world problem solving. ;)
More good sharing data . I'm still weighing the Trailer option thing . If I were to do it, i'd go all Hog-In on the . . . 'darn I can't recall' . . . it's one of the Aussie brands and they're now imported with a dedicated Dealer in Ohio (?) . Crap, sorry, I'll have to re-research it . thought i had it bookmarked (?) . IT's the **-310 model, the smallest . But this thing is substantial and unfortunately at a negotiated stripped down version around 17K . . . $$$$ ! But when you factor in ALL the STANDARD equipment, usually NOT Standard on MOST of the others . . . ? Buy the time you add these "Options" to another trailer, then your right UP there too ! Of course there are other simple basic trailers, but these ARE Truly Extreme Off Road built without (again) having to add anything ! I'll find it an edit this post later today . I'm hoping Jeep decides to add another 10 hp to the 3.6L - to match what's in the Grand Cherokee (I've a 2016 @ 295hp - I believe the JLU Sport S's and my Trail Rated Laredo are the same weight ~ 4625 lbs. ! Wouldn't it be "cool" IF FCA-US could build a 6cyl. Hemi that was fuel efficient and had, say 320hp & 340pf of torque ? Don't care for the diesel that's coming . I digress . I'd be interested in putting the RAM DT's 3.6L eTorque into the 2020 JLU's . . . they seem to be pretty efficient in the J:U 2.0L Fiat motor ! NO better or worse than other FCA motors with "issues". the RAM's 305hp would really help with the "get up & go" stuff . Now if they just tweet the tranny gearing to give us more torque ? The towing would be so much more relaxing and confident . ;) :like:

OH, I JUST REMEMBERED THE NAME of the Trailers -- CONQUEROR ! Go tease your self at their website & click on the USA distributors website . . . :clap:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
More good sharing data . I'm still weighing the Trailer option thing . If I were to do it, i'd go all Hog-In on the . . . 'darn I can't recall' . . . it's one of the Aussie brands and they're now imported with a dedicated Dealer in Ohio (?) . Crap, sorry, I'll have to re-research it . thought i had it bookmarked (?) . IT's the **-310 model, the smallest . But this thing is substantial and unfortunately at a negotiated stripped down version around 17K . . . $$$$ ! But when you factor in ALL the STANDARD equipment, usually NOT Standard on MOST of the others . . . ? Buy the time you add these "Options" to another trailer, then your right UP there too ! Of course there are other simple basic trailers, but these ARE Truly Extreme Off Road built without (again) having to add anything ! I'll find it an edit this post later today . I'm hoping Jeep decides to add another 10 hp to the 3.6L - to match what's in the Grand Cherokee (I've a 2016 @ 295hp - I believe the JLU Sport S's and my Trail Rated Laredo are the same weight ~ 4625 lbs. ! Wouldn't it be "cool" IF FCA-US could build a 6cyl. Hemi that was fuel efficient and had, say 320hp & 340pf of torque ? Don't care for the diesel that's coming . I digress . I'd be interested in putting the RAM DT's 3.6L eTorque into the 2020 JLU's . . . they seem to be pretty efficient in the J:U 2.0L Fiat motor ! NO better or worse than other FCA motors with "issues". the RAM's 305hp would really help with the "get up & go" stuff . Now if they just tweet the tranny gearing to give us more torque ? The towing would be so much more relaxing and confident . ;) :like:

OH, I JUST REMEMBERED THE NAME of the Trailers -- CONQUEROR ! Go tease your self at their website & click on the USA distributors website . . . :clap:
Yeah, more power is always good, still my TJ had 180hp and the 3.6 with what, 280hp is amazing by comparison. But I'll always take more. lol

Here's a vid that kind of sums up trailering. The ones shown are pretty big and not at all what I'm talking about but his comments definitely echo some of the PITA-ness of towing vs a self contained unit.

Going to go check out Conquerer now!!!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, more power is always good, still my TJ had 180hp and the 3.6 with what, 280hp is amazing by comparison. But I'll always take more. lol

Here's a vid that kind of sums up trailering. The ones shown are pretty big and not at all what I'm talking about but his comments definitely echo some of the PITA-ness of towing vs a self contained unit.

Going to go check out Conquerer now!!!
i'm afraid to look at the video . . . ? :facepalm: . . . Couldn't be any more "easy" (difficult?) than towing a 17ft. aluminum FISHRITE boat with 90hp ETEC and 20 gallons of gas ! ? . . . of course that was with the Hemi-1500 ('03) . I also towed a 28ft. T/T of 6500;bs. with it -- still no problem . Now with my 2016 G.C. (3.6L 8spd.) I'm only towing < 1200lbs. of Drift Boat/trailer .

So what do you think of that 310 Conquerer model ? My only wish for it would be perhaps a little bit shorter, just enough for less drag . My problem is - no house, no 2 or 3 vehicle garage; just one garage at the apartments and another for the boat about an hour drive away (~60miles, doing ~ 60mph) . IT all adds up, $$$$; another storage garage for a trailer ? or ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
i'm afraid to look at the video . . . ? :facepalm: . . . Couldn't be any more "easy" (difficult?) than towing a 17ft. aluminum FISHRITE boat with 90hp ETEC and 20 gallons of gas ! ? . . . of course that was with the Hemi-1500 ('03) . I also towed a 28ft. T/T of 6500;bs. with it -- still no problem . Now with my 2016 G.C. (3.6L 8spd.) I'm only towing < 1000lbs. of Drift Boat.

So what do you think of that 310 Conquerer model ? My only wish for it would be perhaps a little bit shorter, just enough for less drag . My problem is - no house, no 2 or 3 vehicle garage; just one garage at the apartments and another for the boat about an hour drive away (~60miles, doing ~ 60mph) . IT all adds up, $$$$; another storage garage for a trailer ? or ?
When I say PITA-ness I'm more referring to maneuvering in the bush along with how weight might hamper that. In my view it shouldnt be much more the 2k tops for ME. I think the motor and trans will do more though. The gladiator goes 7500 with some alleged tranny and frame changes.
But even if the wrangler was rated for more I wouldnt want to tow that much weight on trails I have in mind.

Come to think of it, the wrangler payload is 850lbs. That's not a lot so I wonder what that number takes into consideration? The self contained guys are easily going over that with what they carry. Must have a lot to do with the stock springs vs aftermarket springs??

I think those Conquerors are incredible, all of them. For ME that's a lot of coin and worth it if you intend on using it a LOT and need all those creature comforts in a turn key setup. For you with the need to rent space you have to decide of it's worth the cost in that respect too.

Right now personally I cant justify spending that kind of coin on something unless I know I'm going to use it plenty. Plus none of their units have what I need in regards to carrying a dirt bike. So my plan is to build a half arsed enclosed trailer, see how much I use it, what works, what I like, dont like, etc and go from there. Could be I hate it and the dirt bike isnt that important after all and go the self contained route.

I'm retiring in a year or two so efficient use of capital is paramount. lol

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When I say PITA-ness I'm more referring to maneuvering in the bush along with how weight might hamper that. In my view it shouldnt be much more the 2k tops for ME. I think the motor and trans will do more though. The gladiator goes 7500 with some alleged tranny and frame changes.
But even if the wrangler was rated for more I wouldnt want to tow that much weight on trails I have in mind.

Come to think of it, the wrangler payload is 850lbs. That's not a lot so I wonder what that number takes into consideration? The self contained guys are easily going over that with what they carry. Must have a lot to do with the stock springs vs aftermarket springs??

I think those Conquerors are incredible, all of them. For ME that's a lot of coin and worth it if you intend on using it a LOT and need all those creature comforts in a turn key setup. For you with the need to rent space you have to decide of it's worth the cost in that respect too.

Right now personally I cant justify spending that kind of coin on something unless I know I'm going to use it plenty. Plus none of their units have what I need in regards to carrying a dirt bike. So my plan is to build a half arsed enclosed trailer, see how much I use it, what works, what I like, dont like, etc and go from there. Could be I hate it and the dirt bike isnt that important after all and go the self contained route.

I'm retiring in a year or two so efficient use of capital is paramount. lol
Well, not much of anything here to disagree about . Shame, I was hoping to get all riled up . . . :CWL: ;) . . . kidding of course ! The Gladiator is more like MAX towage of ~6700 lbs. ! ANY added weight, regardless of where it "sits" in the vehicle, adds to the GVW total . SO The Jolly Green Giants 300 lbs. and his wife (?) 200 . . . well, you can see right their that not much left for the "gear" ! Yea like I said the 310 IS $$$ and also for me the "ends won't justify the means" !
Actually thinking of - and don't laugh to loud, you could hurt yourself - using the Drift Boat/trailer as the "base" for a Tent Set Up ! Going to a number of Boat Suppy Websites, I see there ARE options for just this, but unfortunately not necessarily for my little boats Shape ! So, some finagling would be required . Hmmm, camping in a boat on dry land . . . hope that doesn't break "the rules" ! ? And, as an added bonus, I could drift on down river and camp during a 2 or 3 day float - fly fishing as I go ! Shit, I just think I convinced myself . . . this could be the way ! Here's the boat>
P1000397.JPG

539908258.jpg

The rear seat and rest are removable - much more room back aft whereas the front - beyond the rowers box/seat is not (much narrower) . Still deciding . . . JLU(MY'20) or JT (MY'21) come late Fall/early Winter ? Gonna miss the Recon Green of the G.C. though .
If Only I could convert a tent any tent so that it could (also) "pop-up" - then I can justify this post in the thread :LOL: :clap: ;).

hallry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.goose-gear.com
Vehicle(s)
Bright White 2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing & Creative Director @ Goose Gear
Vehicle Showcase

ckor

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Has anyone heard of when Ursa Minor will actually have the top ready for the JL? Looked into Cliffride also but nothing on that one either.

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of when Ursa Minor will actually have the top ready for the JL? Looked into Cliffride also but nothing on that one either.
So I have had my order in since Nov of 2018 and I talked to John about a week ago parts are starting to take shape :rock: if you check their Instagram he has a teaser pic. My best educated guess is JL tops should start hitting soon :like:
My opinion is it’s very worth the wait
Sponsored