Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
For those of you who do and do not have the “steering issue”, how does your experience differ from the posted video?
That looks about the same as mine would under those conditions - nothing that I would complain about. (2018 JLU Sport S, Stock).

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M

The highway here has lots of patches and is in generally poor shape, but it’s dead straight and there little to no crown as best I can tell.

For those of you who do and do not have the “steering issue”, how does your experience differ from the posted video?
Our experience does not really differ much from the vid. As ours steers straight with minimal wander or corrections. But FCA does seem to admit there is a valid problem with DW which the V41 is supposed to correct. Apparently 2% of owners have complained about that specific problem.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2019/08/10/jeep-death-wobble-fix/1969368001/

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Goin,

Can you list all the parts you upgraded ? Also, What Steering Box Version do you have and when was yours built ?
I have an early built 18 and it had the first steering box. I was trying to get the issue fixed while stock. I was one of the first taking it to the dealer. After a year of no resolve I carried on with the mods I wanted to do. Got tired of the wandering so I took it upon myself to start modding the steering. First of all I am 35’s with the RockKrawler 2.5” Adventure series 3 lift and suspension. This is a full lift kit with sway bar links, track bar etc etc On top of that I did...
  • PSC - SK500 steering kit
  • Fox ITP steering stabilizer
  • Synergy drag link
  • Synergy tie rod
  • Synergy SS bracket
  • RockKrawler front adjustable LCA’s because the Adventure series does not come with adjustable ones

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been following this topic since long before I ordered my 2020 JLUR.

Here’s an experiment. I just videoed my wife driving our Wrangler at ~82mph on I-70 just west of the Colorado/Kansas border:

The highway here has lots of patches and is in generally poor shape, but it’s dead straight and there little to no crown as best I can tell.

Mine was way worse than this. First of all you wouldn’t drive it at 82, no way. At 75 your knuckles were white. My hands were never still, ever, not even for a second. I was constantly moving back and forth a couple of inches just to keep it going straight. Even then if a big rig pasted or wind blew the box it would wander to the edge of the lane.

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Just added the last bits to have a fully aftermarket suspension and steering and the Jeep drives like a dream. I feel (could be in my head) that it fined tuned it even better. The bumps on the highway felt so smooth and it did make the steering feel a little "heavier" in a good way.

I spent a lot of money that FCA should have given me this type of driving machine off the lot, but they didn't and now I can enjoy the beast for years to come and probably it will handle a lot more trail beatings than stock.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Very nice! The Synergy stuff looks top notch. Do you think with all the added beef you will brace the track bar frame mount?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice! The Synergy stuff looks top notch. Do you think with all the added beef you will brace the track bar frame mount?
I don’t think so but literally that could be the only thing left. Also not sure if that part would work with the PSC. I would need to research that first but based on the drive today, I think I am good. Going to put 100+ miles on it tomorrow so should get a really good feel.

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude

Here’s an experiment. I just videoed my wife driving our Wrangler at ~82mph on I-70 just west of the Colorado/Kansas border:

Yours steers like a dream. I dont have mine on video. But yesterday while doing a 150 mile road trip , i was driving 75mph on straight roads. Had to keep on correcting the steering to drive straight and passing construction zones was a nightmare. One time i was about to hit the shoulder. Couldn’t drive it with one hand. I had to white knuckle it for 3 hours.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Here’s an experiment. I just videoed my wife driving our Wrangler at ~82mph on I-70 just west of the Colorado/Kansas border

I wish mine was like that! I have a 2" deadspot when on-center so I'm always sawing back and forth to keep it straight.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine was way worse than this. First of all you wouldn’t drive it at 82, no way. At 75 your knuckles were white. My hands were never still, ever, not even for a second. I was constantly moving back and forth a couple of inches just to keep it going straight. Even then if a big rig pasted or wind blew the box it would wander to the edge of the lane.
I had the same description of mine. I would say it was not comfortable to drive above 55 in any curving roads, irregular surface roads, or gusty winds. The comfort zone speeds varied based on a number of conditions, such as driving in a far righthand lane near a curb where it was off camber and had irregular contours. Where a particular road I commuted on was comfortable to drive in my 4x4 truck, it was scary in my 18 JLUR, as it would dart around from surface irregularities.

I've since changed only the track bar to a SS Yeti Pro. I'd say I went from 3" of steering wheel "play" to about 1/2".

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
I would say my 2020 Sahara is about as good as this - I will also say that I drove a 2019 Sport this week that felt more planted than my Sahara. Difference in experience may be due to the stock tires - Mine came with all seasons (even though the configurator said I'd get AT's since I have LSD) and the Sport has AT's.

Geezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU

I wish mine handled that well.
Our JLU is two hands on the wheel at all times at any speeds above 45 mph. I have to constantly correct or we may be wandering into the next lane or the shoulder of the road. You just don't know which.
I swear our's is equipped with a factory installed random lane departure option.
No way I could drive mine at 80mph. Staying in lane keeping pace with traffic at 60 mph is like getting on a carnival ride and the steering wheel is connected with bungee cords.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Stock 2020 JLU Rubicon here. Can’t say that I have ever had it up to 82 yet. That said, mine drives like yours seems to in the video.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Stock 2020 JLU Rubicon here. Can’t say that I have ever had it up to 82 yet.
We averaged 14.5mpg from Denver to Kansas City, and 15.5mpg on the way back. Ouch.
Sponsored