Sponsored

gas can

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
What does the "Slackers" decal say?
I looked for another pic but couldn’t find one. I’m not sure lol. It was just a part of the sticker pack the dust bowl rally made us put on.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
....jus sayn

maxresdefault.jpg
The very interesting fact is that NASA has apparently "lost" all the technical documentation for the Lunar Module Eagle and other important Moon landing documentation as well .

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Like this thread, was thinking how to mount some spare fuel tanks the other day after getting really deep down an unknown trail. Sounds like the roof rack is the great way to go!

Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
MORryde was showing this side mount at a show a few months ago. No drilling. A Rotopax is in the photo but will also support a jerry can.

MORrydeSideMountRotopax_zpsysrcl2bb.jpg

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
MORryde was showing this side mount at a show a few months ago. No drilling. A Rotopax is in the photo but will also support a jerry can.
I was wondering if they were going to do a JL version. I like the look of the can on the side (and prefer metal cans to plastic ones), but I'm not sure how compatible it would be with a roof cage/rack if it needs the cowl bolt holes too.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another option coming soon from Retrofit Offroad is a door-hinge mount for Rotopax. Shown in this photo being tested on a JKU, it also fits the front and rear door hinges of the JLU/JL.

DoorRotoMRHinges1_zpsstla6dh0.jpg

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
The very interesting fact is that NASA has apparently "lost" all the technical documentation for the Lunar Module Eagle and other important Moon landing documentation as well .
Are you implying they never went to the moon or that they used a Jeep?

Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thought - if there's a JK accessory that mounts to the tailgate hinges, like a Rotopax carrier, you can install it on the JL tailgate hinges with a new set of adapter brackets that Retrofit Offroad just came out with. They install to the JL tailgate bolts and provide a JK tailgate bolt pattern for accessories.

JLTailgateAdapterBrackets_zpsjbxtur3j.jpg

For the record: I am not an employee of Retrofit Offroad.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC

MORrydeSideMountRotopax_zpsysrcl2bb.jpg
Another option coming soon from Retrofit Offroad is a door-hinge mount for Rotopax. Shown in this photo being tested on a JKU, it also fits the front and rear door hinges of the JLU/JL.

DoorRotoMRHinges1_zpsstla6dh0.jpg
I think that putting fuel in this proximity to the passengers is probably a bad idea. Maybe best to stick to water in these areas.

But then again, In my Landcruiser....I have 36 gallons of fuel under my ass. LOL

Doc

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that putting fuel in this proximity to the passengers is probably a bad idea. Maybe best to stick to water in these areas.

But then again, In my Landcruiser....I have 36 gallons of fuel under my ass. LOL

Doc
There probably isn't a 100% safe place to carry gasoline on the outside of a vehicle, but best practice would be:

1. Only carry the cans when on a trip where extra fuel may be necessary. In almost all places on the road in the USA, extra fuel is rarely necessary with proper attention paid to the gas gauge, fuel range of the vehicle and gas stations along the way.

2. Cans should empty be until the "last mile". For example, if I'm making a trip from upstate NY where I live to Colorado to do some off-road exploring, the cans will be empty until the last fuel stop in Colorado before going off-road. And if the day's off-road plan won't require more than maybe half a tank, I don't carry extra fuel in the cans.

3. Cans should be emptied into the tank at the first opportunity when there's no longer a need for extra fuel.At the end of the trail before starting for home, empty the cans into the tank.

BTW if I'm using plastic containers like Rotopax, I don't like to keep them on the Jeep all the time anyway because they're susceptible to UV damage. They're in the garage until I depart on an expedition where I'll need them. I don't need to carry them "for show" :).

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
There probably isn't a 100% safe place to carry gasoline on the outside of a vehicle, but best practice would be:

1. Only carry the cans when on a trip where extra fuel may be necessary. In almost all places on the road in the USA, extra fuel is rarely necessary with proper attention paid to the gas gauge, fuel range of the vehicle and gas stations along the way.

2. Cans should empty be until the "last mile". For example, if I'm making a trip from upstate NY where I live to Colorado to do some off-road exploring, the cans will be empty until the last fuel stop in Colorado before going off-road. And if the day's off-road plan won't require more than maybe half a tank, I don't carry extra fuel in the cans.

3. Cans should be emptied into the tank at the first opportunity when there's no longer a need for extra fuel.At the end of the trail before starting for home, empty the cans into the tank.

BTW if I'm using plastic containers like Rotopax, I don't like to keep them on the Jeep all the time anyway because they're susceptible to UV damage. They're in the garage until I depart on an expedition where I'll need them. I don't need to carry them "for show" :).
Agreed Jeff, G-d of the Wrangler modification!;) (That was a complement for those who don't know of Jeff's work with modular hard tops. https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/ and not to hijack this thread. )

I'd also add that the back driver's window area and a rack above are IMHO the two safest places for spare gasoline--the latter of course best for visibility.
Sponsored