Sponsored

Jeep sliding after installing bigger tires?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Man.. I thought the KO2s were supposed to be awesome tires, but folks seem kinda lukewarm about them in the wet/snow. 50% of my miles are on twisty rural hills in rainy Oregon. I was looking to get Rubicon takeoffs at some point as well, but, now I'm having second thoughts.. at least using them as daily drivers.
Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’ve driven mine a decent amount in the rain and snow and I’ve been very impressed.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Man.. I thought the KO2s were supposed to be awesome tires, but folks seem kinda lukewarm about them in the wet/snow. 50% of my miles are on twisty rural hills in rainy Oregon. I was looking to get Rubicon takeoffs at some point as well, but, now I'm having second thoughts.. at least using them as daily drivers.
Yeah, I wouldn’t let the 3 people on a Jeep forum who dislike them discourage you from getting them. They are terrific in everything except mud. They aren’t mud tires.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I wouldn’t let the 3 people on a Jeep forum who dislike them discourage you from getting them. They are terrific in everything except mud. They aren’t mud tires.
Just want to reiterate this point, they are arguably the best AT tire you can get.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
It seems like the main complaint about the KO2/3 tires----has been gravel slinging into the rear body/hinges/fenders of JLU;s--

There is no doubt that the KO--tread design is FABULOUS, for general OFF-ROAD use and as a good mileage ON-ROAD TIRE, however--

They have a strange Tread design tread/w GAP configuration that is GRIP CONSISTENT with the standard unpaved road GRAVEL SIZE !

I have used HANKOOK/Thunderer Trac/Toyo MTs and none have the same troublesome habit--

So the choice is individual uses and driving environment and NEED a form of MUD FLAPS to limit the ROOSTER TAIL SLINGING of any tires !

W.E.

JIMBO

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
OP, I suspect this issue may be that the tires are still too new. Give them a little time and they should feel a lot better. Rubber, when it first comes out of the mold, isn't as supple as it will eventually become. This is due, in large part, to the heat associated with the molding process. I could be wrong about what your issue is, but I don't think it's the tire choice. I think you've got something else going on.

It is winter time, maybe there is a super thin layer of ice on the roads
That sounds very plausible. Based on ballpark math, the OP is describing a coefficient of friction of roughly 0.1 or less. That's in the range of ice.
page_13.jpg

Nope 4wd is totally disengaged. I starting to believe my air pressure it too high and causing a grip issue
I doubt the pressure is too high at mid to upper 30's, but it is an easy variable to change/test.

I second guessing myself. I just got home from work and I paid close attention during slow turns. Now I believe it's the actual body leaning off kilter rather than a slide from under the wheels...
Yes, it could definitely be body roll that you're not used to. I see this to be more likely than sliding at such a low speed unless ice is involved.

They are awesome tires. In N.E. Ohio we get a lot of lake effect snow. I've had them in ice, deep snow, light snow, packed snow, slush, and wet roads. All this obviously in addition to dry summer roads. They handled all those conditions great, and I'd defiantly get them again. That said, of all the winter conditions listed above, the "worst" was deep drifting snow, but no tire is going to do exceptionally well there, except maybe a mud tire that can clear the voids. I'm definitely not lukewarm about them. Easily one of my top 2 tires. I'd say KO2's and Duratrac are my top two, and I really have a hard time picking one over the other for first place.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
...I’d defiantly get them again.
I’ve never known anyone who liked KO2s so much that they were “defiant” about them! ;). I’m sorry, but I have to tease!

I’ve seen GREAT reviews on KO2s. I’ve seen REALLY BAD ones too.

It’s the same with my Toyo Open Country A/T II tires too. Great and terrible reviews. Makes you wonder what factors are involved with each driver/vehicle to cause such a wide variance.

I’ve never had KO2s; I can only speak for MY experience with the stock Duellers and the aforementioned Toyos I replaced them with. In short, for ME the Duellers were a dangerous tire, like ice skates.

I’ve had the Toyos before, on my FJ Cruiser, and I loved them. I also absolutely love the set I put on my Jeep - P285/70R17 (33s). I have spent significant time on and off road with them. They are superb in both environments FOR ME. One of the places I wheel has gravel. The tread of the Toyos releases the gravel safely. My truck is black with no mud flaps. I never hear gravel bouncing off of the body, and I have zero dings in the paint. I inspect the tread on all tires before I get on the road. I NEVER find gravel in the tread.

I’ve been through thick mud and have never been stuck. These Toyos are just as good as the mudders I had on my TLC FJ40 a long time ago. I know it’s hard to believe and I cannot explain it, but the Toyos FOR ME are that good.

I wheeled with some of you this past Saturday at Citrus Wildlife Management Area. Pictures are posted of me successfully handling some gnarly obstacles in my Toyos WITHOUT airing down.

Bottom line about tires: you cannot place much stock in Internet reviews. You just have to try them yourself. Toyo allows you to try their tires for 45 days/500 miles. If you don’t like them, you can return them AT NO CHARGE; they are THAT CONFIDENT in their product! Also, the tires I bought are warrantied for 65,000 miles.

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
Thanks fellas. Not to change the subject but... when do you guys engage the 4x4 in snow. Over an inch, a light dusting, a foot...?
Driving with 4WD on dry pavement feels more like jumping or binding on turns vs sliding in my experience. This should be very apparent in dry pavement at very slow speeds

Not to change the subject but... when do you guys engage the 4x4 in snow. Over an inch, a light dusting, a foot...?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Thanks fellas. Not to change the subject but... when do you guys engage the 4x4 in snow. Over an inch, a light dusting, a foot...?
Once the roads get slippery ie. once there is snow falling and the roads are wet - so temp is at or near freezing.

For your initial comment “ I have an issue with sliding into turns even during slow turns and dry conditions.” That is very unusual as some have noted. But heavy on the go pedal out of a turn - slip can happen. As well out of wet sharp corners - slip can happen. But normally OEM KO2s are deemed very reasonably competent for most Jeep applications using an AT C load with 3PMSF designation.

For us they are not perfect. But do what we need well enough 95% of the time.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I’ve never known anyone who liked KO2s so much that they were “defiant” about them! ;). I’m sorry, but I have to tease!
Ha ha, it's all good. I can take a joke and some light hearted ribbing.
In regards to the Toyo's. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Sounds like a solid tire.

With a 4wd system that is either engage or not-engaged I pretty much only use it when I'm stuck, or the snow/mud/sand is so deep getting stuck is inevitable. You can drive in 4H any time the roads start to get snow covered, but if I can make it in 2wd I don't really see the point in locking in four.
That said, in the Sahara (with Selec-Trac) you can set it to 4H Auto and let the Jeep worry about when 4wd is needed, and when the rwd is sufficient. It's a nice feature for those who live in areas that get a lot of snow.
Sponsored