Service at Houston Dealersinspection

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My 6 speed MT ‘18 Rubicon began slipping gears so I took it back to the dealership where it was purchased. I dropped in off on 11/26 and left it there a week. I was out of town and figured that by the time I got home hey would have a new clutch installed and I would be ready for action. I was happy that I didn’t have to depend on them for a loaner/rental as I had just received a chargeback from the Enterprise they deal with from Memorial Day weekend when my JLUR Gabe me notice that I needed to pull over because it was about to shut down. Left stranded on the Westpark Tollway, I had it towed to River Oaks and I explained to them what had happened. No problem- they didn’t have any loaners but they sent me over to Enterprise and told me that all I had to pay for was the tax on the rental. My Jeep sat on their lot untouched for 5 days and when they finally got around to it they told me the issue was caused by some of the aftermarket lights/Stereo/etc and the $500 repair was out of my pocket. Funny thing is I never had any wiring changed like they recommended and the problem has never repeated itself. Extra added bonus for me — since the repair was deemed a non-warranty item the Jeep service manager at River Oaks only approved rental car charges for 2 of the 7 days it was sitting on their lot. 2 months after my service date, at 2 AM I get a text from Chase fraud protection that a suspicious charge was just sent though. I was charged $300 by Enterprise (again, 60 days after my service date because River Oaks finally got around to filing paperwork to decline rental car reimbursement. When I asked Betty, one of the SM about the chargeback she blamed it on Jeep corporate although everyone I talked to said her initials were on the notice that denied coverage. Wait, it gets better.

It gets much much better.

Back to the clutch. River Oaks has my Jeep for a full 7 days, drives it one time, can’t replicate the issue, says they did a complete Inspection of the clutch and everything check out AOK. So pissed when I picked it up, nothing has been done to fix my transmission. Even worse I was told there wasn’t even anything wrong with it. I went through to the cashier and she called for my Jeep to be brought around. And I waited. And waited. Other people who came after me were picking up their Jeeps and I was (already late for work) standing around waiting. The cashier (who is probably my favorite person at the dealership) called for it two more times. When it finally showed up they explained that none of the porters know how to drive stick so they had to get someone from another department to bring it around.

Pulling out of the dealership it’s obvious that the problem is still there so I call the service tech who suggests bringing it by sometime and we can go for a ride together. (Great. Would have been nice if that could have Happened while the rig was sitting in their lot for 7 days.

Three weeks later the problems are getting worse and worse and I begin to smell burning clutch after reaching my destinations. I take it back in and this time they put it on a lift and examine the clutch assembly at which point I am told that I need a new clutch. 23k miles and about 18 months since purchase I am told that it is a wear item and Jeep won’t cover under warranty. Going to cost $2200 and if I don’t want to wait 5 days before they start on it I need to pay to have parts overnighted. And of course no rental car for me. Spend another $2200 on a clutch that lasted 22k miles. That’s ridiculous.

A friend tells me to go to South Fork Jeep in Pearland which is a 20 minute drive. I figure I have nothing to lose so, grinding gears the whole way, we headed down south. I was surprised that they had a ton of Jeeps and a beautiful brand new building that housed their sales and service department. I explain to a service tech what happened at River Oaks and he gets one of the service managers, a very nice clean cut young man named Henry who introduced me to the other service managers as well as Chris, the owners. I dropped it off on Friday and left it there. By Monday’s I had already received 2 phone calls telling me what they were doing with my Jeep. I don’t think I received one phone call the entire week that it sat at River Oaks. The third time I answered a call from South Fork it was to tell me that they had. Spoken to Jeep and they agreed to warranty the entire repair. River Oaks never even tried to get it covered. I will never go back to River Oaks and I sure as hell will never buy another Jeep there.

South Fork treated me like I had bought the Jeep off their lot. They went above and beyond. Every dealership wants to ‘develop a relationship’ with their customers. So nice to see a dealership actually doing something to promote a relationship instead of just screwing you over. My gf was with me when I dropped the Jeep off and her comment was, “These guys make me WANT to buy a car from them but I don’t want a Jeep.’ (Mercedes snob...)

If you need service in Houston or need to buy a new Jeep skip River Oaks and go to South Fork
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I have heard nothing but great things about the folks at south fork! I would recommend them to anyone on that side of town for sure!

Glad they got you taken care of. Sounds like you’ve have a heck of a time so far with those issues.

Brett

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Glad you were treated well and taken care of. I read a lot of recommendations for River Oaks when I was looking to purchase. I went there first and got pretty good pricing. But when I walked out I looked a little closer at the quote and discovered that he’d left off a few of the more expensive options I wanted. That’s why the quote looked so good. I went back in and asked him to add them and quote me a new price. He simply added the options on at MSRP and said that’s the best he could offer because the price was already discounted as much as he could do. Seemed shady. I walked and purchased elsewhere where they discounted ALL of the options snd paid several hundred dollars less.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, thanks for writing this. I have only heard good things about the service at River Oaks Jeep and that is one reason why I purchased there. It is important that folks share positive and negative experiences at dealerships as it helps all of us make the best selections. Thanks again for posting and I will add the pearland dealership to my list of potential go to places.

funny, I know a couple that lives in pearland. Owned 5 Jeeps over the years..... they go to River Oaks. I will tell them of your positive experience at South Fork.
Sponsored