Jeep Wave or Lack Thereof

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ok Wrangler owners in CO what gives......my brother-in-law (whom had a JKUS) and the dealer told me to wave at other Wrangler owners to be part of this exclusive Jeep wave movement......only no one seems to care.

This is my first Wrangler and I'm trying to uphold the high standards bestowed upon me but seriously I think my chances of getting a wave back have been far less than 50%.

Sooooo, is there just too many Wranglers in CO and so no one cares anymore or did my brother-in-law and dealer set me up to be on some TV show that has morons waving at passing Jeeps????????
Sponsored

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
As a fellow Colorado Jeeper I can definitely say its less common... Probably cause there's so many. It happens occasionally though :).

...I'd be curious to see Jeep sales by state. I think Colorado would be up there.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Same problem here in East TN. I wave...because I'm supposed to. Rarely do I get one in return. I would say 4 out of 10 times, I get one back. This isn't meant to be a sexist statement, but for me, it's the women that don't wave. Mostly college age looking females. Sorry, but true. Even my wife noticed it without me saying anything. Don't hate, just an observation...

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I wave at all wranglers. I don't wait for them wave first because my LJ is older. I don't only wave at lifted/topless/muddy/doorless/whatever jeeps. I figure that the tide of boring, same-old-same-old vehicles is always rising, and wranglers are an island. The more people we can get to realize that our island has a community; that we wave to each other, park next to each other, (in my case two weekends ago, write an appreciative note and leave it on a windshield), and admire each other's rigs, the better. Hopefully, a few people who see the wave will come online to learn a bit more about their jeep. Maybe, they will see something that they can add that makes their jeep better for them - be it bigger wheels, new bumpers and a winch, or a better way to manage soccer and hockey bags.

Sponsored

TJO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
Same in Maryland. This is my third Wrangler. 1st one I had in college back in the late 90's and I would say 75-80% waived. Second wrangler I had was an early JK unlimited and I would say maybe even higher % waiving with that one. I picked up my jl few weeks ago, its been about 5-6 years since a have driven a wrangler and I have been shocked to see how few wrangler owners waive anymore. I actually commented to my wife about this last week. I would say maybe 10-15% are still waiving. Sad because that was another cool part of owning a wrangler, you felt like you belonged to a group. I am not sure if the lack of waive is due to newbies not knowing about the waive or seasoned snobs not wanting to waive to those with unmolested wranglers. Maybe a bit of both. After a few weeks of no waive backs I have kinda given up myself but my wife is still pushing on.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
i live right outside of Philly, but spend a lot of time at the beach on the weekends, and at the beach, the wave is just about non-existent, which I attribute to the volume of them as discussed above. So for the most part, I get that, and typically don't initiate a wave all that frequently. The only time you get one typically is if you are both modified, doors off - top down, "beach ready" rigs, or if you are passing by an old head.

In the philly area, I am a dude, and agreed with the comment above about the waves from women. They are just fewer and further between than guys who wave. I am absolutely a wave initiator, so my success rate is higher I guess. I wave at all wranglers, and 3 of my 4 wranglers, including my current one, were modified and were taken off road, so while I guess I am entitled to be an elitist, I don't act like one. There is enough hatred in this world, hating on non-modified jeeps to me just seems silly. And maybe part of the reason why those non-modified jeeps, mall crawler jeeps are only used like that is because we are not a welcoming enough community.

So I say, people like us on these forums, we have to be part of the solution, not part of the problem, and keep the wave and the community alive.

2018 K2

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I am with 4WHLFUN. I too live in Colorado and a first time Jeep owner, started waving and less than a 50/50 return the wave. I will keep waving!

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I swear my return wave success rate has dropped since I got the JLU. I will continue to wave since I think it's just a great thing to do. I have a vette too, so I'm into waving. Of course it also seems like I'm always in the "wrong" vehicle when I see vehicles I want to wave at.

Sponsored

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I wave at every Wrangler I see! Sometimes I am not sure if I am supposed to wave, but I do it anyway. I am in MD and I would say I have about a 90% wave return. Definitely sad when those 10% don't wave. The wave makes my day! Also have had a bunch of JK owners stop in parking lots and other places to ask about it and I ask about how they did all their mods. I LOVE it! People taking the time to talk about something they love. Great community of people who influence me to spend more money on my Jeep! LOL!

Gill

First Name
Gill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80,84,85 CJ. 83 Scrambler 2912 JKU 2018 JL Rubicon (ordered)
It is called Jeep Wave, not wrangler wave, so I wave at a lot of different Jeeps. I have CJs, a JKU, Grand Cherokee, and a new Rubicon on order. Don't be a snob, give them all a wave. We are a Jeep community not a wrangler community. Your friendly gesture might inspire one of the starter Jeep drivers to try to move up to a modified wrangler and join in the fun.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Unfortunately, the Jeep Waves started to diminish with the introduction of the JK Unlimited. The Jeep CJ and Wrangler used to be driven by people with similar personalities. They were people who appreciated the rugged, go-anywhere, do anything Jeep lifestyle. The JK Unlimited opened the door to the average-minded person, who may not be as aware of the world around them. They probably don't even notice you as you pass by. Keep waving though- It's the right thing to do.

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
We all waved way back when (or it seemed like it.) Since I received my JLU, I've waved all the time but without a lot of success. My wife even said, "Why bother? Nobody's waving back." Then yesterday, I counted and I got 7 out of 9 waves returned. I am recommitted to the cause!